sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The wonderful thing about SLD is that you don't have to actually restrict yourself.  There has never been a point during the last 6 months where I felt like I was being restricted in what I could eat.  I have been eating healthier, for sure, but that's a side effect of the AS for me, not because I'm trying to avoid "bad" foods.  And there are plenty of times when I eat the same old crap I always used to eat, just much much much less of it! -- goblyn

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: like an ice cube in a sauna!  (Read 12586 times)

TalkingRat

Re: fbnops -- 2 months gone
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 06:03:16 pm »

Yeah, but this time one of us is going to find the formula, and share.   :mrgreen:

fbnops

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:18 pm »

I stayed at the same weight last year from just before thanksgiving to some time early spring.  Body must go into hibernation mode lol.

I appreciate the insight although I hope it doesn't hold true for me :o) by the way, your & Rat's weight tickers are looking AWESOME -- what is the average pounds per year?

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2010, 06:03:43 am »

fbnops,

I've been losing weight since January 9, 2009.  I lost about 3.5 lbs per month on average, though averages make no sense because most of the weight came off in big jumps, like I wouldn't lose anything for a month and then drop 5 lbs overnight. 

TalkingRat

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2010, 12:44:51 pm »

fbnops,

I started January 3, 2010 [this round, lest I confuse anybody].   Averages don't mean much, and even though I know better, before long I catch myself expecting 'at least' that much change every month.   :lol:   I had a great first month, then a month of nothing, then another great month, then 3 months of 1-2 lbs that at the time looked like nothing, then two months of rapid weight loss, and now almost two months of no weight change ... and yet, I found a new low and my jeans are loose.  I'm learning to appreciate times of relative stability. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:11:32 pm by TalkingRat »

fbnops

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2010, 04:00:16 am »

Your experiences make me feel better.  Maybe all is not lost :o )

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2010, 05:49:23 am »

Definately do not worry, all is definately NOT lost. 

Plateaus on SLD are sooooo normal that they're expected.  The important thing to keep in mind is to not lose patience (right Karky?) and keep at it.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2010, 11:31:23 am »

My ears were burning there for a minute Goblyn  :lol:

Goblyn is right.
You have to have patience.
Rome wasn't built in a day.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

fbnops

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2010, 03:58:27 am »

NOVEMBER REPORT
apologies for being so late

Nothing much has changed for me.  I must be on a set point as my weight is right where it was last month.  Hovering just below 200 lbs. That really had me down last month, your support was very much appreciated; I'm going to not let it bother me this month and try to be a little bit more proactive.

For some reason coffee consumption has risen quite a bit -- but that's taken with only a little half-and-half creamer.  I'm going to give up nuts again.  I said that a while back but it only lasted a month or so.  They're definitely an addicting food.  And most of them come heavily salted which probably doesn't help much either.

I still have good appetite suppression during the day and have been regular in taking the oil.  After dinner still gives me trouble frequently.  I may try a third dose of oil after dinner.  Are there any threads where someone experiments with taking three doses a day or taking more oil than that computed with the body weight method?

shovelqueen

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2010, 04:15:12 am »

You could try raw nuts as an alternative.  They are much less addictive than the roasted kind, and of course unsalted.  Raw almonds, pecans and walnuts can be had in the baking section.  Now that unshelled Christmas nuts are here, they are great in that there is so much work per nut that it's hard to overeat to the same extent. 

Good work in holding on to your weight loss. :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

fbnops

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2010, 10:23:34 am »

Thanks for your comment.  Sorry it took so long to reply, out-of-town guests you know.

Roasted almonds means are my real weakness.  I got some walnuts, shelled, because they have omega-3 and I did not like them as much as other nuts.  Passing them by was still difficult.  Pistachios are good and take a few minutes to shell, but I never see them unsalted.  Even though I live in pecan country, those things are priced like gold.  I told myself I would saute a serving in butter, to keep from just eating a handful every time I walked by -- that did not last long.  I have had a little success buying a package of tube nuts at the convenience store, only when I need to round out a meal.  I hate not getting bulk pricing though -- I have purchased nuts in bulk at Sam's for years.

Unshelled nuts are probably the best way to go, I am going to do that.

TalkingRat

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2010, 02:20:34 pm »

I hear you about the nuts, fbnops.  I think it's a winter thing.  I'm into chocolate, too.  Last night I substituted butter tea for hot chocolate, and have gone back to whole milk, and with the added butterfat, I'm no longer fixated on chocolate and nuts.  Could be coincidence, but I am giving butterfat the credit.  1T butter has 100 calories, it's a perfect SLD snack.

fbnops

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2010, 10:04:30 am »

Imho, butter is a great example of a perfectly healthful food that has been demonized in the name of profit margin.

Ahh, chocolate.  Constantly on my guard not to become a impulsive consumer of whatever delicious looking carbohydrate laden tidbit is available, I have been good about only eating a very occasional piece of cake or pie.  I only eat what has been  prepared from scratch, in a social setting with the preparer present. Fortunately, the people I am around do not bake often.  Unfortunately, no one has made anything out of chocolate in the past year!

I am thinking of setting a date -- a month or two in advance -- where I will allow myself a chocolate dessert, even though it will have to be purchased from a restaurant. That way, it will not be an impulse.  A really good piece of Devils food cake with fudge icing is really the only dessert/bread/pure poison I still really crave.  It was hard to come by though, even when I was not avoiding it.

TalkingRat

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2010, 10:58:25 am »

I think butter really does add something to my brain.  It feels less foggy with butter.   Good idea about the chocolate, keeping it out of the house.  What got me on the road to bad habits was Costco chocolate chips bags.  We keep eating the chocolate, and I haven't even made cookies yet.  The only good part is that there's no flour.   :lol:

fbnops

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2010, 04:39:52 am »

Have you seen Seth R's blog entries about butter ?

TalkingRat

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2010, 07:53:09 am »

Fbnops, yes, I got my butterfat courage from Seth's blog.   :mrgreen:  Not just about math facts and response time, but his blog is also why I tried organic butter (twice the price, but significant taste difference) and also where I read about butter tea. I also saw Seth's post about the reporter who wanted to know why such a small difference in response time mattered at all.  But unlike that reporter, I think it's a huge deal, and could reduce auto and plane accidents.  A bit later, I googled about butter and brain function, and ran into a study measuring reaction time in airline pilots; they got statistically significant improvement with a high fat diet, especially with butter.  The summary I saw the first time didn't have near the detail but included a comment made by a pilot that he 'knew' which diet was working best.  Seth noticed mood effect, but the pilot comment suggested there was a noticeable (by the subject) performance effect as well.  There appears to be more than nanosecond differences.

I googled again this morning, and after a few tries I found the story again, a different report than last time.  This one includes researcher names, so I'll go looking later for the full study.  The news report indicated they used student pilots in simulators, and it was military funded.

FYI, here's the summary I found this morning:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33201036/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18