Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
like an ice cube in a sauna!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: like an ice cube in a sauna!  (Read 23495 times)

fbnops

Re: fbnops -- 2 months gone
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 04:47:06 PM »

Four months on Shangri-La and loving it!
Regurgitation my own stats and adding this month's:

Pounds      Percent   
Date   Weigh       Lost      Weight   
                    Change   
5-Feb           227         
9-Mar           218    9        4.0   
10-Apr   211    7        3.2   
10-May   210    1        0.5   
10-Jun   207    3        1.4   

My data is no longer useful as a measure of Shangri-La effectiveness as I have almost completed the book Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and in the past week or two began seriously eliminating carbohydrate. All the opinions and philosophies I've posted until now - forget 'em.  I have become what, four months ago, I would have considered a nut.

Current diet: beef, fish pork and chicken.  Cheese and olives.  Peanuts and almonds.  Plain full-fat Fage yogurt and full-fat cottage cheese. Coffee and olive oil.  Pickled eggs and butter. Will probably limit the yogurt to 3 servings every two weeks and will be losing the peanuts in favor of cashews and pistachios. And bacon. I will be tweaking this diet as I learn more about good oil and bad oil, and other such things.  Can't say that I feel great right now, but I'm not hungry, am losing weight, and believe I will eventually adjust for the better.  I'm still taking the oil and don't have any cravings for any other foods. Grocery shopping is simplified also.

Pass the porkchops and cheese !

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 09:41:51 AM »

the bacteria in yogurt is good for you
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

fbnops

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »

Yes, I heard somewhere it was good for the digestion of milk products.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 07:32:09 PM »

yogurt has all kinds of good bacteria, which is good for general gut health

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoghurt
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

fbnops

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 05:18:36 AM »

One month on an extremely low carbohydrate diet and I have noted my gums are not sore and do not bleed when I floss.  The other great benefit, noticed during and maintained since an earlier exploration of low carbohydrate dieting, is that my cronic heartburn/reflux disappeared.

Yes, I have lost a lot of weight in the past and gained it all back, like so many people -- Which brings up the subject:  if I am able to lose a lot of weight again, will it stay off ?

Several years ago I cut carbohydrate consumption to only a bowl of cereal with fruit and a grapefruit per day and lost 55 lbs. in a little over a year.  Was walking eight or 10 mi. a week also.  I seem to hit a wall around 175 lbs. and quit the long walks -- I had other things to do.  I also begun to sample the forbidding grain based products and healthful fresh fruits -- heck why not?  -- would it not be best to go back to a slightly more balanced diet anyway? Several months later I was wondering aloud "where has my willpower gone?". I felt ALWAYS hungry.  It seems to be called "carbohydrate addiction". 

The failure of low carbohydrate diets is said to be because they are too hard to maintain.  My theory is the main difficulty is getting past all those years of advertising about how the balanced diet is the healthful diet.

The oil seems particularly useful in the morning, between breakfast and lunch.  Hunger attacks have always plagued me between those meals.  I'm finding that in the evening it's best for me to just go ahead and get dinner out-of-the-way fairly early.  I intend to be taking my second slug of oil between lunch and dinner but never really feel the need for it, and am often forgetting it.  Last night I moved it to after dinner and managed to go to bed without the long traditional "bedtime snack".  Maybe I'm on to something?

My numbers for the month still reflect weight loss but are otherwise lackluster.  I appear to have gone from 207 to 205 lbs., which is a net loss of 2 lbs. or approximately 1% of the body weight.

y'all feel free to comment.  It would be very interesting to know what percent body weight everybody else loses in a month.

TalkingRat

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »

I was also very successful on a low carb diet (Carb Addicts).  Where I ran into trouble is when I ate carbs without the fat/protein balance.  I need a higher percentage of protein than the standard carb heavy 'balanced' diet, and it must be balanced every time.  Cereal for breakfast, even oatmeal, makes me hungry.

Weight loss as a percent of prior month's weight may not be useful to you, it has not been linear:  4.8%, -2.3%, -4.0%, -3.0%, -0.8%, -1.9%.  The last two months, I haven't met my exercise goal, stopped tracking what I ate, and meals are by the clock.   I could make changes, but is it worth the added work?  I like 'non diet' weight loss.   :D

Taking oil when I usually want a snack worked well for me, too.   Mid afternoons and 3 hours after dinner were snack temptation times.  Soon, they were not a problem, so I shifted my oil to single dose early morning.  In retrospect, that was a mistake.  The oil seemed better when it was a few hours since a meal.

fbnops

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 05:54:59 PM »

My percentages are 4.0, 3.2, 0.5, 1.4, & 1.0.

Taking oil after dinner instead of a snack is difficult for me.  A bedtime snack is a 50 year long habit.  Overall, I easily avoid snacks between meals.  That used to be very unpleasant, hunger pangs always hit around 9:30 a.m. and 330 or so in the afternoon.

The book I have been reading by Dr. Bernstein says if you cut out all the carbs and aren't losing weight, start cutting protein.

I'm going to try to weigh every day for a month, and hopefully learn something, as others have.

fbnops

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 06:20:34 AM »

Greetings everyone, I have been out of the loop this past month - hope everyone is well.  Beginning in July I essentially went to an essentially zero carbohydrate diet, dropping the nuts and yogurt which were the only carbohydrates consumed in June.  (Had a little problem completely quitting nuts whenever DW had any around :o )

My loss this month was 5 lbs., 2.4% -- the best since beginning Shangri-La. Broke 200 lbs., I'm at 199.8, am taking in another belt notch -- might have done even better but we traveled some, snacking heavily on beef jerky.

I'm feeling fine, plenty of energy.  The only thing a little unusual with me is that there is not much inclination toward correspondence, both in the forum and with others.  Could that possibly be due to diet? Probably the heat.

The experiment of weighing daily proved frustrating and was abandoned after a week and a half.  Sometimes my digital scales would give a reading as much as 2 lbs. off, when weighing multiple times trying to get consistent readings. And the first week and a half I weighed the average never really changed.  I did a random weighing before our traveling and had obtained 199.8 -- it bounced up when we got into the beef jerky.

I'm still a believer in the oil although I sometimes forget my second dose of the day.  It was instrumental in breaking carbohydrate craving -- and still provides appetite suppression even on a "no" carbohydrate diet.

Let me leave you with just one thought that is not just "all about me". When a person is said to be overweight, the language subtly implies that the cause is known and that it is within his or her control -- they eat too much by choice. What many of us are actually is swollen. The language implies we are not so much at fault as we are victimized by an unfortunate condition, the cause of which may or may not be known. I think many of us are swollen, the cause is not fully appreciated, and the cause is largely our individual response to the modern diet, even the foods that have been presented to us as healthful -- whole grains, lowfat, fruit and so forth. Those foods are inflammatory.  To me the extremely low carbohydrate diet is not just an expeditious way to lose weight but is probably the most healthful diet for human beings.

Sanchiaza

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 12:19:24 AM »

Let me leave you with just one thought that is not just "all about me". When a person is said to be overweight, the language subtly implies that the cause is known and that it is within his or her control -- they eat too much by choice. What many of us are actually is swollen.

Hear, hear!

And congrats on the weight  8)

shovelqueen

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 05:34:02 PM »

Beef jerky will for sure put your weight up, but it's going to be all water weight from the high salt content of the jerky.  Temporary and not real, just "swollen".

"Strength, balance, joy!"

fbnops

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »

I went to the dentist yesterday and was all pumped thinking how clean my mouth has been feeling and how clear from inflamation my gums have been since going the extreme low carb route - was sure I was going to “wow” them with how clean my teeth were and was looking forward to bragging here. It was time for x-rays so they took ‘em.

The hygienist seemed nervous and asked if I wanted gas. Having my teeth cleaned has never been a problem for me so I declined. She said she saw quite a lot of tarter on the x-rays and would be going deep. I was sure deflated. She then went after me like I was Joe Gingivitis, apologizing all the way. She lit me up a couple of times but we got through it. She said I would be sore a few days and should take Tylenol or something. I told her how surprised I was, that I had been free of inflamation and thought I would be free of tarter.

She then admitted they had gotten a new – now digital – x-ray machine and were seeing much more than they ever had before on everybody. I’m sure if they went after everyone else like they did me, quite a few people would need the gas and a few days on painkillers. She said my gums were healthy looking and she would have never explored  that deep looking for tarter had the improved x-rays not told her too – guess I will have to wait 6 months to see if there is any big effect on tarter formation.

Dr. Bernstein wrote that you cold get those test sticks diabetics used to test for sugar in the urine, and test starchy food that had been chewed. He stated the sticks would indicate sugar, because starches started their breakdown into sugar upon contact with saliva. Others have noted that if you chew - say bread - for awhile, it begins to taste sweet, for the same reason. Sugar is generally agreed to be bad for the teeth - that is the hypothesis for improved oral  health in low carb diets.

fbnops

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 04:47:48 AM »

Monthly report Time.  Three more pounds gone this month, but what is frustrating is those 3 lbs. were gone 10 days ago!  Thought I was headed for a 5 pound loss this month.  Of note is that my energy level is great & I began some minimal weightlifting -- to prepare for more serious weightlifting and getting used to an exercise time.  Still accidentally skipping the oil way too frequently, which may explain being beset by ravenous appetite recently. Hmm.  Maybe the appetite is also in part due to the weightlifting .  Anyway my month's weight loss ceased the moment I got into the yogurt and cashews, the most carbohydrate laden foods I have allowed myself the past two months.

I should not complain, 3 lbs. a month was the best I could do on the semi low-carb and long walk régime I did a few years ago.

fbnops

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »

For the sake of science
October report

I cannot claim any weight loss this month and am unhappy about that. My weight has been swinging up and down in a range from 196 to 199 pounds, essentially the same as last month.

Nothing is different about my diet than reported over the past couple of months.  My previously reported tendency to forget to take the oil has stuck with me, but now I have begun setting an alarm twice a day to make me remember.  Would it not be awsome if my weight loss increased with increasing regular oil doses?

There is an interesting 2009 article at http://e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2136 about the food industry beginning to resemble the tobacco industry in the way it handles criticism.  It touches on the addictive nature of some foods, much like we have discussed here.  I think back to the time when I could honestly say "I am ALWAYS hungry" and am thankful days are over, and pray they stay over.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

SaintD

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »

For the sake of science
October report

I cannot claim any weight loss this month and am unhappy about that. My weight has been swinging up and down in a range from 196 to 199 pounds, essentially the same as last month.

Nothing is different about my diet than reported over the past couple of months.  My previously reported tendency to forget to take the oil has stuck with me, but now I have begun setting an alarm twice a day to make me remember.  Would it not be awsome if my weight loss increased with increasing regular oil doses?

There is an interesting 2009 article at http://e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2136 about the food industry beginning to resemble the tobacco industry in the way it handles criticism.  It touches on the addictive nature of some foods, much like we have discussed here.  I think back to the time when I could honestly say "I am ALWAYS hungry" and am thankful days are over, and pray they stay over.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

My last 30 days have been zero on weight loss too. I blame the cooler weather. Usually I put on 2-5 pounds by thanksgiving. So being at -10 from the summer is nice. I guess. Being at -15 would be better. :)

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »

I stayed at the same weight last year from just before thanksgiving to some time early spring.  Body must go into hibernation mode lol.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18