sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The wonderful thing about SLD is that you don't have to actually restrict yourself.  There has never been a point during the last 6 months where I felt like I was being restricted in what I could eat.  I have been eating healthier, for sure, but that's a side effect of the AS for me, not because I'm trying to avoid "bad" foods.  And there are plenty of times when I eat the same old crap I always used to eat, just much much much less of it! -- goblyn

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: like an ice cube in a sauna!  (Read 13384 times)

shovelqueen

Re: fbnops -- 2 months gone
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 05:03:52 am »

Good grief ! 3 month shelf life for milk.  I guess that is as long as it is sealed? What does this product look like in stores ? (not that I'm running out to buy some)

Think tetrapak juice boxes, but bigger - 1 litre size.  Common in other countries.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:33:52 am »

comes in a juice box type container
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

TalkingRat

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:04 am »

From what I've read, the ultra pasteurized milk in other countries is somewhat different, sold in juice-like cartons, and has an even longer shelf life, up to 9 months, no refrigeration required until open.  It is popular in areas where refrigeration is difficult.

However, the US practice appears to be different.  Here, I've read it has a shelf life of 1-3 months, and is typically labeled 4-6 weeks out, and labeled  'requires refrigeration.'  The carton I saw looked exactly like a half gallon milk carton, except for the large font "ultra pasteurized" label on the front of the carton.  Since I didn't know about UHT, it was the date that alerted me.

I didn't read the fine print to see about use after opening, but I would expect it to have recommendations similar to regular milk.  But if it doesn't sour the same way, or curdle, it's more likely to be used long past expiration or recommended use date.  That's scary enough, but the article I saw suggested a greater concern, that although required by law to be labled ultra, a processor might hold the milk until the usual 3 week expiration, then put it in regular cartons and nobody would be the wiser.

Being around dairy animals as a kid, I know how quickly 'real' milk curdles.  I remember my sister visited once, and forgot a baby bottle in the back of her car, in the summer.  Three days later when it was discovered, her store-bought milk hadn't curdled. Scary.

Ultra pasteurized milk is being touted as safer, kills all the bacteria.  But I wonder if drinking it makes people less resistant to normal bacteria, like using anti-bacterial soap all the time.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 07:20:45 am »

I've seen plenty of the juice boxed milk here in the states.  I think parmalat (or something like that) is the most common form of it found.  You usually get it in the area where the canned milk, tea and coffee are in the grocery store. 

That kind of milk is usually touted as being something to have on hand for disaster preparation (apparently when the lights go out all anyone can bring themselves to eat is old milk, spam and cold baked beans). 

I have yet to see any of the UHT pasteurized milk in the dairy section of my store.

However, with all the things that can be done to your food to preserve it, UHT pastuerization is the most innocuous.  After all the process is simply heating the milk to kill off bacteria.  We're not talking about treating it with hazardous chemicals or genetically altering the cows that produce it so they produce preservative rich milk or anything like that.  Just heat.

TalkingRat

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:30:05 am »

Goblyn, I'll look next time I'm at the store, but I suspect regional differences in saleability.  I would expect people would more readily buy refrigerated UHT milk that looks the same except for the date.  The relative short expiration date in the refrigerated carton is a way to avoid the significant nutrient loss that occurs beyond 65 days in UHT milk.

But even short term, there are nutrient differences.  UHT loses twice the B12 and folic acid that standard pasteurization does, and with near complete loss of folate binding proteins with UHT, according to a research paper I saw.   Heating to 280 degrees may affect proteins and vitamins in ways not yet documented.   Reminds me of what we were told about fats and the heat applied in the hydrogenation process.

fbnops

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 10:27:18 am »

Boxes........hmm...... How appropriate.  Heating does seem safe enough, and it would be good to have something for people who cannot refrigerate. My future milk consumption is looking so sparse I should be able to survive whole milk with ordinary pasteurization.

I just now checked on this coffee creamer we have here at the office.  We had noticed the "no refrigeration needed" and long shelf life, and made a few jokes like "what is this stuff"? Turns out it is uht processed half and half.  Most everybody, including me, has been avoiding it.  However, I use some equally mysterious powdered non-dairy creamer.

I'm going to try powdered milk for creamer.

Had 4% fat large curd cottage cheese as part of lunch today, good stuff, often overlooked.

shovelqueen

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 10:45:12 am »

I'd be using the UHT treated over the "edible oil product" any day.  At least it's real food. 

Powdered milk sounds like a good option, too, though it's been highly processed as well.  Your cottage cheese sounds good. :)

"Strength, balance, joy!"

TalkingRat

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 01:55:41 pm »

When I drank tea, I bought a small carton of milk from the vending machine, so I didn't have to use the fake creamer; powder or liquid, they were tolerable in coffee and horrid in tea.  Now I'm thinking I may have avoided issues with the plastic while I was at it.  :)

fbnops

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:51 am »

Y'all have been real generous with your time and knowledge discussing these things that have recently become important to me.  Regrets that I am going to be traveling for a few days and have only limited computer and Internet access.  Next week I'll check back in with you and participate some more.

One parting brag: took my belt in another notch yesterday !

fbnops

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 05:30:15 am »

A thank you to Karkey --

I found the Fage yogurt in an upscale little grocery not too far out of the way from the house and purchased two tubs of real yogurt and two tubs of low-fat, all plain. 

It looks like exactly what I was searching for, but yogurt with no highly processed additives.

Although I'm dumb as a nail when it comes to the culinary arts the urge to create got to me.  I made my own custom yogurt fat blend by mixing a tub of regular with a tub of lowfat.  It was strangely empowering stirring that stuff together, like a real chef.

The razor-sharp logic behind this is that if either full-fat or lowfat is bad for you, I diluted it!  :D

Anyway I added some strawberries to the first batch and went about cultivating a taste for the stuff.  The strawberries were kind of tart and the plain yogurt taste was like, well, plain yogurt; but I managed to start getting used to the taste.  I added a can of peaches, drained, to the second batch and now I am hooked, nothing else will do!

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27:58 am »

Coincidentally, as I read this post I am finishing off a container of Fage yogurt with a spoon of homemade rhubarb jam.
YUM  8)
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 07:41:05 am »

yum - i love fage greek strained yogurt!!  i defrost some blueberries and mix them in.  or a little honey or seedless jam....yum

how about tinned milk?  i use the full fat one ie not lite/light. 

fbnops

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 10:00:24 am »

I gotta go to the store-----------------

anacara

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 04:17:39 am »

Yes! Please buy our lovely Fage Total Yoghurt! You may have heard talk of our economy being somewhat challenged...

Ana of Athens

fbnops

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 03:27:02 pm »

Time for a weigh in and a repetition of the collected data since beginning the SLD.

February 5, 2010 -- 227 lbs.
March 9, 2010 -- 218 lbs.
April 10, 2010 -- 211 lbs.
May 10, 2010 -- 210 lbs.

Well darn.

That is a really disappointing figure for a month's time. I really did not do anything different.  AS is still good, portions are still small, no fast food restaurants.

I have begun reading "Good Calories Bad Calories" and am about ready to cast my lot with the Atkins crowd. I'm been leaning that direction for quite some time but going hard-core is, frankly, intimidating.  Anyone not afraid of a pork chop topped with a slab of cheese, egg on the side? 

Do you suppose consumption of refined sugar and flour is really the underlying cause of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, diverticulitis and many cancers -- all "the diseases of civilization"?  That seems to be the premise of "Good Calories Bad Calories".  And, according to GCBC, all the fiber & low-salt in the world will not help.

On the bright side my energy level is up, and it's easier to get up out of a chair and out of bed.  I can feel the weight loss that has occurred.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18