Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
like an ice cube in a sauna!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: like an ice cube in a sauna!  (Read 23065 times)

fbnops

like an ice cube in a sauna!
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:26:21 AM »

Greetings,

This month's loss was 7 lbs.; I'm still stoked! appetite suppression is good.  Daily food intake is noticeably reduced. Moving my second daily eloo dose from 2 p.m. to around 430 helped with the little bit of trouble I had with evening hunger.

shovelqueen & talkingrat: I appreciate the replies to my first post in "My SLD Page".  Having been studying these forums for the past month you guys -- and several others -- are beginning to seem like old friends.  And shovelqueen: Volcano=RUN !

Simpler foods, in the forms they were available to our grandparents or great grandparents, is beginning to seem a good philosophy to me.  So I started eating some things that I have not eaten in a while.  SO WHAT THE HECK HAS HAPPENED TO YOGURT ! ? My first experience with yogurt was the Dannon brand as it existed in the late seventies.  Curdled milk in a paper cup with some fruit mash in the bottom you had to stir up to get the intended flavor.  I suspect there was sugar or sweetener added.  "Plain" was available.  All of it was definitely a cultivated taste.  The ingredients lists on today's yogurts I am seeing are looking like something McDonald's invented.  After eating a cup as part of lunch one day AS for the afternoon seemed to be reduced.

Your posts on homemade yogurt are interesting but being kitchen-challenged, I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for store-bought yogurt? What would I find in a health food store?

Repeating my statistics for the record:

February 5, 2010 -- 227 lbs.
March 9, 2010 -- 218 lbs.
April 10, 2010 -- 211 lbs.

One parting thought: with the First Lady's recent official interest in American obesity I would bet THE MAN (that's American slang for the government) is lurking on our forums.  They are probably starting to plan special taxes on oil and sugar and beginning to worry about how to reduce our dependence on foreign olive oil :o)

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: fbnops -- 2 months gone
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:22:43 AM »

try greek yogurt
I like the fage brand
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

TalkingRat

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:44:25 AM »

I remember when Dannon was good yogurt, without junk in it, and I used it as my starter culture.  My local stores carry Nancy's, but it may be a regional brand, from Eugene, OR.  It's 99 cents for 8 oz, and I get it when I want to make my own.  Ingredients: milk from non-rGBH treated cows, powdered milk, active cultures.  I haven't made yogurt for awhile, and I'm using a lot less milk, but I still buy cottage cheese, and yogurt would be cheaper with similar benefits.  I still have my yogurt maker from the 70s.  But I used to do fine with a one quart pirex bowl, stuck in the oven overnight.  It's easy with a gas oven, the light in my electric oven isn't quite enough to keep it warm.  My current oven has a 100 degree setting, but I haven't tried it, to see how hot the heat cycle gets.

Congratulations on your SLD success, and your success in finding the best timing for it.  Great progress!

fbnops

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 12:10:18 PM »

karkey, knew you also - will definitely ask one of my Greek acquaintances where I can find some Greek yogurt; probably made from goat's milk? -- they can probably at least direct me to the right grocery

rat-- I can't imagine putting milk & yogurt in a warm place overnight then eating the result -- surely you chill it and add fruit?

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »

you can add fruit
it is good plain too
sometimes I substitute it for sour cream on baked potatoes

TalkingRat

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »

karkey, knew you also - will definitely ask one of my Greek acquaintances where I can find some Greek yogurt; probably made from goat's milk? -- they can probably at least direct me to the right grocery

rat-- I can't imagine putting milk & yogurt in a warm place overnight then eating the result -- surely you chill it and add fruit?

My regular grocery stores have Greek yogurt, but it's about $2 for 6 oz.

You refrigerate it, but first you have to let the culture grow.  The bacteria in the milk is killed first, heating to 200F and then cooled to 108-110F, then you add the good bacteria cultures, and keep it growing at that temp overnight.  It won't get much more solid once it's refrigerated.  Some recipes add powdered milk to help make it thicker and more like the commercial stuff.  One of our local yogurt makers lets his cultures grow 12 hours, but I think 9 hours is about right.

I don't add fruit, but you can.   Or vanilla before it gets cultured.  I used to have mine plain in granola.   Hey, it was the 70s.  :lol:

shovelqueen

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »

Yeah, health food store yogurt, Greek yogurt, home-made yogurt or a plain, all-natural yogurt (like Astro Balkan-style in Canada) are your best bet for a natural product.  Or for even more zing, try kefir.  Again, plain is the best for minimal ingredients, then add your own as desired.

Re volcanos - they are awesome!  Here is a pic of how close we were to the action.  That is my foot, next to a red-hot vent.  You can click on the pic to enlarge it.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

fbnops

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 06:06:47 AM »

Hi SQ, good to see you

Last night at Wally World I noticed Oikos organic Greek yogurt, blueberry, package of 4 servings, four dollars.  It was also zero fat. It had a few additives, one of which was sugar.  Fruit was in the bottom and had to be stirred up like seventies Dannon.  Also had an impressive list of live bacteria. It was tasty enough but still left me wanting more, not unlike the Yoplait (McYoplait) brand I had last week. 

Is zero fat in yogurt and cottage cheese such a desirable thing?  It makes me think "highly processed".  My mother was big to zero fat foods but it did not seem to help her a great deal.  Is it not a trade-off with carbohydrates?  Zero fat equal more carbohydrate?  Zero carbohydrate equals fat?

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »

I never buy zero fat dairy products
I don't think they taste good at all,

and of course, being an SLDer, high fat content doesn't faze me a bit.  :lol:

TalkingRat

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »

Hi SQ, good to see you

Last night at Wally World I noticed Oikos organic Greek yogurt, blueberry, package of 4 servings, four dollars.  It was also zero fat. It had a few additives, one of which was sugar.  Fruit was in the bottom and had to be stirred up like seventies Dannon.  Also had an impressive list of live bacteria. It was tasty enough but still left me wanting more, not unlike the Yoplait (McYoplait) brand I had last week. 

Is zero fat in yogurt and cottage cheese such a desirable thing?  It makes me think "highly processed".  My mother was big to zero fat foods but it did not seem to help her a great deal.  Is it not a trade-off with carbohydrates?  Zero fat equal more carbohydrate?  Zero carbohydrate equals fat?

...Is zero fat in yogurt and cottage cheese such a desirable thing?  It makes me think "highly processed".  My mother was big to zero fat foods but it did not seem to help her a great deal.  Is it not a trade-off with carbohydrates?  Zero fat equal more carbohydrate?  Zero carbohydrate equals fat?

I'd rather not eat it at all than have nonfat yogurt and cottage cheese.  And now that I'm drinking less milk, I switched to 2%.  My experience with yogurt making is that it's harder to be successful with nonfat milk, it tends to go grainy and thin.  So that could mean commercial nonfat products have more ingredients, to maintain the texture of whole milk.  I think of nonfat whole milk as potentially less processed, since it doesn't have to be homogenized.  But what about UHT pasteurization, with a 3 month shelf life.  :shock: 

correcting my error as I re-read this thread...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:41:06 AM by TalkingRat »

fbnops

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »

You guys are right, zero fat and lowfat is not worth eating. I had a cup right before bed last night; it did not agree with me. Not quite heartburn but close. A sour stomach. Did I mention heartburn? That is one of my favorite subjects. I could write y'all quite an essay about that, but in a nutshell: going on the Atkins diet a few years ago had the unanticipated but pleasant side effect of curing my chronic heartburn.  Several other people at new had the same experience.  Basically, the GERD/acid reflux pharmaceutical industry is built on people's overconsumption of starch and other carbohydrates, IMHO.

I bought 2% milk as a matter of course for years but have stopped buying milk altogether basically because I quit cereal and milk shakes. I'm sure I will have occasion to buy milk again and may very well go for whole milk.

Rat, what was that last thought about pasteurization?

TalkingRat

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:22:02 AM »

You guys are right, zero fat and lowfat is not worth eating. I had a cup right before bed last night; it did not agree with me. Not quite heartburn but close. A sour stomach. Did I mention heartburn? That is one of my favorite subjects. I could write y'all quite an essay about that, but in a nutshell: going on the Atkins diet a few years ago had the unanticipated but pleasant side effect of curing my chronic heartburn.  Several other people at new had the same experience.  Basically, the GERD/acid reflux pharmaceutical industry is built on people's overconsumption of starch and other carbohydrates, IMHO.

I bought 2% milk as a matter of course for years but have stopped buying milk altogether basically because I quit cereal and milk shakes. I'm sure I will have occasion to buy milk again and may very well go for whole milk.

Rat, what was that last thought about pasteurization?

fbnops, they now sell ultra high temp pasteurized milk, for much greater shelf life.  The UHT process takes milk up to 280F for a couple seconds.  I can't see how 3 month old milk is an improvement in processing. 

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:44:01 AM »

I drink whole milk after reading an article posted here.  I love being able to make iced coffee with whole milk that's rich enough that I don't need to add any sugar or sweetener.  Its so much more satisfying to drink it.

TalkingRat

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »

I think of 2% as reasonably creamy.  It's close to what I drank as  a kid when we had non-homogenized milk.  We always skimmed the cream off for whipping. 

fbnops

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 04:36:50 AM »

Good grief ! 3 month shelf life for milk.  I guess that is as long as it is sealed? What does this product look like in stores ? (not that I'm running out to buy some)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18