Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Almost 15 years of age and overweight. Do you recommend?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Almost 15 years of age and overweight. Do you recommend?  (Read 25144 times)

Kinesis

Almost 15 years of age and overweight. Do you recommend?
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »

I'll be fifteen on April 9th and I'm tired of being fat. I've been the same weight for over a year and it's time I started eating healthier and trimmed down, for my health and well-being.

I'm currently 177cm tall and 94kg. My goal weight is 66kg. After performing research online, I have come to a conclusion that this would be a safe and natural way to lose weight, but I am unsure if it is healthy for a teenager.

Do you recommend?

Another thing: I already have olive oil in my pantry but it's labeled "extra virgin." Is it ok to substitute extra-light for this?
~ Overweight adolescent hoping to better his health. ~

Pip

Re: Almost 15 years of age and overweight. Do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »

Hi Kinesis,

Frankly your post gives me mixed feelings. It's great that you are trying to take charge of your health and your weight and that you are looking for a safe and natural way to do it. On the other hand, you should probably be consulting your parents and/or pediatrician about this. Your question also provokes the "if only I knew then what I know now" response in me, so bear with me as I dispense with some motherly advice that I wish someone had given me at your age.  :)

First, it seems reasonable to think that a few tablespoons of olive oil a day should be safe for most people, including teenagers. What will be important for you is what else you consume in addition to the oil. You are probably still growing and recent research suggests that your brain won't be fully developed for another 10 years! You have an opportunity now to develop good habits that will help you over the course of your life. Trust me, it's a heck of a lot harder to get rid of the excess baggage when you are 40. :x  So, respect your brain and feed it wisely. Make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition (a website like Fitday can help you figure that out). Pay attention to how different foods make you feel and eat less of the ones that stimulate you to eat more or make you feel bad.

You have the advantage of youth. So if you use SLD to reduce your appetite a bit, eat real food (minimally processed), cut out junk food & soda and find a way to get regular exercise, I'm sure the weight will come off for you relatively easily. But be patient and don't give up if it doesn't happen right away. If you focus on developing healthy habits, the weight will come off as a result of that. That's a key point, so I will repeat it: Focus on building healthy habits, not so much on losing weight. Don't try to lose too quickly, as that can set you up for other problems. If you learn to cook and learn as much as you can about food and nutrition it will empower you in regard to your health.

As to your 2nd question: extra virgin olive oil has more flavor than extra light and the point of taking oil for SLD is to get flavorless calories so, no, you would not want to use the extra virgin olive oil. Use extra light olive oil (ELOO).

Your body will need some time to adjust to the oil, so start with only 1/2 tablespoon and work your way up to your full dose gradually, otherwise you will have an upset stomach. Taking the oil with food or right after a meal for the first couple of days is a good way to ease into it. Once your body is used to the oil, then keep the flavor free window of at least 1 hour before and after taking the oil.

If there is an adult in your life who can give you some good nutritional guidance, I hope you will consult him or her in addition to trying SLD.  Best wishes and good luck on your journey to better health.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:20:57 AM »

Kinesis, welcome to the forums!  I'll second pip's statement that you should be careful about what you do eat.  SLD can make it so that there are days that it is a chore to eat, so make sure that what you do eat is well balanced and healthy.  One of the great side effects of SLD is that it makes you crave healthier foods, and often when you've been taking oil, after a while fried food tastes really greasey and oily and gross!

I hope that you find SLD success, because as those of us on the forums know, its our teen years spent yo-yo dieting that help to ruin our metabolisms!  So hopefully SLD will work wonders for you, and you'll be able to keep it up long term so you don't have to be one of those people who've done every diet under the sun (like me! lol).

chrissy3562

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:02:12 PM »

Hey Kinesis,

I started SLD when I was 18, so I don't know why starting a little earlier would be bad. Listen to the advice that everyone is giving you about making lifestyle changes. I didn't change what I was eating and at 21 its a bit harder for me to change what I eat. Living on my own does help, but I want to fall back on the processed foods when cooking for 1. The biggest change you can make is cutting out the soda. It tastes good but does nothing for you.

Exercising is also a good habit to get into. I hate exercising, but I'm trying to get into the habit of doing it every day or at least every other day. Good luck with your weight loss, and remember we're all here to help you.
Chrissy3562

multitasker

• Pharmacy Pacific
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »

Loosing weight in a natural way is a safe even for a teenager so you don't have to worry about it. Glad that your are fully aware even though your still young or you can use xenical for weight loss quickly
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:03:51 PM by multitasker »

lorettahenry

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »

Hey Kinesis,
here is a article i look at the website about Effective Way to Lose Weight Before Breakfast,hope to help you.

Nov, 3rd, 2012 - Recently, a research of British studied about when is the best exercise time for losing weight. They did a research compared with exercise before breakfast and after breakfast. The result showed that it is more effective for losing weight before the breakfast.

There are many ways to reduce weight, and the time of losing weight is very important. So the studies from British did a research about this problem. They have launched to 10 men three experiment in the university of Glasgow cardiovascular and medical science institute , each of the main content is to eat breakfast: for the first time, before and after breakfast did not exercise; For the second time, in the morning before breakfast for 1 hour trot; The third time, after breakfast, then do the same exercise.

The results showed that exercise in the morning before breakfast combustion more fat than did not do any sport at the same time, and exercise before breakfast also burned more than 33% fat than after breakfast doing exercise. The study also found that, doing activity in the morning before breakfast lipid levels have significantly declined.

Dr Gill also said; although in the study of the men just on the trot, but actually fasting time also can moderate do something more intense campaign, because the body have enough energy reserves to make up for 90 minutes ~ 2 hours of sports consumption.

But some people said that they can not stand doing exercise before breakfast, as it will make stomach too hungry. Dr Gill said: "if you really can not do exercise before breakfast, it is well. In fact, exercise before breakfast can be more conducive to lose weight, but in general, it will not consume much more fat than after breakfast in total. However, reducing weight is an effective slow process, the key is to keeping this good habit, after all, it is better to do something than doing nothing for weight loss.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18