Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
How toxic is wheat?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How toxic is wheat?  (Read 25880 times)

Maychi

Re: How toxic is wheat?
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 03:34:39 AM »

Oh, VK, you do live dangerously! :lol: :lol:

VeganKitten

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »

heh, and this after I mused publically about cutting out wheat  :lol:

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »

[/img]

[/img]

VeganKitten

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »

LOLZ :lol:

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 02:45:01 PM »

Lolz nougat!!

Here's one I did for this thread:

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

An Alchemist

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »

I made a 100% whole grain German sourdough rye (complete with added wheat gluten to assist the rise) for supper tonight, in honor of this thread. Talk about incredible flavor...!  :D

TalkingRat

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 07:57:06 PM »

I think now you are obligated to post the recipe.  :D

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »

PINK LOL!!!

VeganKitten

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »

I think now you are obligated to post the recipe.  :D

seconded!

An Alchemist

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2010, 09:38:36 AM »

The detailed recipe can be found in this book: http://www.amazon.com/Local-Breads-Sourdough-Whole-Grain-Recipes/dp/0393050556/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269275263&sr=8-1

The recipe is called "Soulful German Farmhouse Rye", p.285

German rye sourdough starter, .5 cup
Water (70 - 78 F), 1.5 cups
Instant yeast, 1 tsp
Whole rye flour, 2.25 cups
Whole wheat bread flour: .375 cup
Wheat gluten: 0.375 cup
Wheat germ: 1 tbsp
Toasted and ground coriander seeds: .25 tsp
Toasted and ground cumin seeds: .25 tsp
Toasted and ground fennel seeds: .25 tsp
Toasted and ground anise seeds: .25 tsp
Sea salt: 1.5 tsp

Mix dry ingredients together. Add water and mix to get a rough-looking wet dough. Fold the sourdough in with a spatula. Knead with lightly floured hands for 8 minutes--this is to mix the dough thoroughly, not to make an elastic dough yet. Replace the dough into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 10 mins.

Knead the dough for n additional 5-6 mins on a very lightly floured surface, until it is soft and only somewhat elastic.

Ferment the dough for 2.5 hours in a lightly oiled bowl covered with plastic. The dough should rise to 1.5 its original size during this.

Carefully slice the dough into two pieces, and shape the dough into round loaves, cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap, and rise at room temperature for 1.5 hours. The dough will rise only a bit more here.

Score the loaves. Bake for 30-40 mins in a preheated 450 F oven, adding steam during the first 15 minutes. Allow the loaves to cool before slicing.
Makes 2 loaves

There are also instructions in the book for making your own sourdough starter--a bit intimidating at first, but it was actually pretty easy!  :D

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:57 AM »

Did it end up being a rather dense crumbly bread or a regular bread-y bread?  I find that ALL whole grain bread recipes yeild really heavy dense crumbly (and easily dried out) breads.  Sometimes those are nice, but sometimes you want a crisp, chewey crust and a light fluffy interior (if you can't tell I'm still searching for a recipe lol).

Either way this sounds good, I've never made a whole grain bread with a sourdough starter before so I'd be interested to see how what kind of texture it has.

My all time favorite bread to make is just plain white french bread.  Its totally carby and bad for you, but extremely fun to make (provided you have nothing better to do, its an all day project, kneading, rising, proofing, baking, resting, etc) and extremely delicious.

TalkingRat

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2010, 11:18:40 AM »

Soulful German Farmhouse Rye sounds wonderful, Alchemist!   No sugars, except from breaking down the flour?

I have one of Peter Reinhart's books (The Breadmaker's Apprentice), and he has a section on starters, but I failed, twice.  It was in the dead of winter, so maybe with more warmth and rye flour, I'll have better luck.  Although... I just got some sourdough French bread from a Portland bakery, and the blurb on the package says they tried starting a good sourdough for a whole year before they gave up and bought a San Francisco starter.  I'd better wait until my bread eater is home for the summer.   It sounds like a great low glycemic choice for bread. 

An Alchemist

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2010, 01:18:13 PM »

It is a dense crumb, but not as much as so some of the German ryes (which have texture more like cheese than bread  :!: ). But it's also very moist. A lighter loaf could be obtained by adding a bit more yeast and gluten--1 tsp is very little yeast for two loaves.

And yes, there are no added sugars here, which is very nice. If you've had a hard time getting a starter to go, you might try added a bit of commercial yeast. I added a very small pinch on the third day, because I had draped plastic wrap over the container and was afraid not enough wild yeast would make it's way into the sourdough, and it worked wonderfully. A little yeast is all it takes.  :)

August

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »

I was pretty big into bread making about four years ago.  The no-knead bread craze spread through the internet and I went from that to trying to create a perfect baguette in my underpowered little oven.  I even have an pizza stone I don't know what to do with anymore. 

But I noticed the acne outbreaks coinciding with the fresh baked goodness.
And, well I was fat, but I also had that puffy look ( I don't think everybody who is fat has this particular puffy look, but most Americans do) that I now associate with wheat consumption and high Omega-6 oil intake.

An Alchemist

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »

I guess I'm pretty lucky in that regard--no adverse reactions, except a desire to eat more tasty breads. Fortunately, I don't care much for commercial bread, and home-baking is a lot of work, so there's only a limited quantity available to be eaten.  8)

Did the no-knead bread work for you? It seems that without working the gluten a bit, the bread would turn out a bit flat and dense. I'm sure you can find another use for the pizza stone though, if you're not doing bread, with just a bit of creativity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18