Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
switching to flaxseed oil

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: switching to flaxseed oil  (Read 8248 times)

nat76

switching to flaxseed oil
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:44:16 AM »

Hi,
I would like to switch to organic flaxseed oil because of health concerns - I am currently using cheap grocery canola oil. I know I have to noseclip it. Will it slow my weight loss, any of you had success with noseclipped flaxseed oil so far?
Many thanks,
Nat76

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: switching to flaxseed oil
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »

Switching oils, no matter what oil you go to, can hinder your weight loss, you may find it takes a few weeks to get the same level of AS, although some people report that switching oils is beneficial for them and they actually get better as from a new oil.  So who knows?

I've never tried flaxseed (other than in pill form, no AS from that) so I can't report on effectivness.

Shooter

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:41:17 PM »

I did a switch from ELOO to  flax oil (Organic Flax Oil by Trader Darwin's). The switch took around 10 days: I started with 1 TBS of flax oil instead of ELOO and increased proportion of flax oil over the course of 10 days. My motivation is health benefit from high omega-3 content of flax oil. AS is the same as with ELOO.  I always take my oil nose-clipped and drink a glass of water after gulping oil.
weight: 219 -> 197 (max 235)
daily: 4 tbs of oil; low carb; 10,000 steps

nat76

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »

Thanks for your answers. Canola oil is working so well for me, that I am still not sure. However, I heard bad stuff about that oil, lparticularly ots of genetic modification. Doing the switch gradually seems to be the right thing to do. I think I will go for it. Would love to hear more experiences with oil switching.
Congrats on your progress!
Gotta get that ticker some day.
Nat76

nat76

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:20:42 PM »

Just a quick note: I read you need a enzyme to digest flaxseed oil, that not everybody has...Can't find the post, I read that here. However, here is a link on canola oil:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/canola-oil
I might just switch to organic canola oil, non genetically modified, if that exists.

VeganKitten

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »

I use flaxseed oil, noseclipped. I think it's the healthiest choice for me. I've got to get back to a more consistent schedule, but when I am consistent, I take 2 tbsp a day, in the morning.

shovelqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »

Just a quick note: I read you need a enzyme to digest flaxseed oil, that not everybody has...Can't find the post, I read that here. However, here is a link on canola oil:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/canola-oil
I might just switch to organic canola oil, non genetically modified, if that exists.

Yes, it exists.  And it's tasteless.  A bit heavier mouthfeel than ELOO, but quite doable.  I've been on CO for a good chunk of the past 2 yrs.  I get mine in the grocery store, the store brand organic line. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

grandworld

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:02 PM »

Just a quick note: I read you need a enzyme to digest flaxseed oil, that not everybody has...Can't find the post, I read that here.
Here is a post on the subject
http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/4612/

VeganKitten

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »

Thanks for the link! I hope I'm "young and healthy" enough to digest FSO, 'cause I won't take Fish Oil (not vegan).

Quote from article: "only young, healthy people make enough of the enzyme to do the conversion from flax oil into these special nutrients..."

orange

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 04:40:10 PM »

I've had good experience with Spectrum's "organic ultra enriched flax oil" at 3-4 Tbsp/day for a 185-lb older man on early stages of the diet. Even if shaken first as directed (which suspends some ground-up flaxseed that's 15% of its mass), it has virtually no flavor and I need no noseclip. Unlike refined organic walnut oil, it has a great omega 3:6 ratio (3.5:1). Bulk buying yields a pretty reasonable price—just compare spectrumorganics.com with a Google search.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18