Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Akhdar (in the Moment)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Akhdar (in the Moment)  (Read 46039 times)

Jenn

• **~Feeling more ZEN every day~**
    • come listen to some of our tunes on myspace
Re: Pilgrim's Progress (a.k.a. akhdar)
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2006, 08:50:28 AM »

I am humbled by all of the knowledge of culture and language of the people on this thread.  Akhdar, you have created the most interesting thread, we love to read your colorful and beautiful posts, which in turn cause us to respond in the most interesting way that we are able.  It is truly mind expanding, as long as our waistlines don't :D
  Anne H you also have the gift of literary sense.  All of you amaze me.  If I could only write so eloquently. 
  You are truly my mentors.
  Jenn

Good day to you all
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!
I am at a healthy weight and get slimmer/healthier every day!

akhdar

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2006, 03:19:34 AM »

I am so sorry not to have responded sooner to your wise and elegant postings -- and kind wishes. My sweet computer and I are having some "issues" of late. But I am hoping that we can amicably resolve same. Sometimes I forget to sufficiently appreciate this amazing metal sculpture on my bedroom table.

Jenn. your effusive compliments are so sweet and unmerited. My dear, you see in others that which is truly a mirror of your sweet self. Given your vocal lessons, it seems that you are a natural for rhythm and expression in a way of which most of us can only dream. And, lovely girl, you have beauty and a generous nature to boot. It is we who are blessed by your presence on this forum. You encourage our flagging energy when we are feeling low or insecure. I hope that we can do the same for you should you ever need such.  :)

Zerimar, I have a friend who also visited Afghanistan pre-Soviet invasion -- a relative of his was living there at the time. It marked him deeply, and, due to that trip, at a tender age, he has traveled all over -- living in locales abroad for years at a time. He was so impressed by the beauty of that region. So tragic the confluence of events in this and many countries. So unnecessary. Your husband must be deeply saddened by the upheavals in this (once?) amazingly diverse land.

Thank you for your good wishes. I feel so much better (back to scheduled programming) on wheat germ oil, flax oil, and Co-enzyme Q-10 than on the previous oils I was taking. I think that the high Omega 6 was creating havoc in my system. Live, experiment, and learn, I guess!

Ann H, I admire your positive outlook. Your family is lucky, indeed, to be able to rely on someone so stable and with such a broad perspective (combined with endless good nature and a kind curiosity). Lovely alchemy is yours! And I agree with you about the Educators. We might learn to respect them by emulating their message of peace, one day.

How is SLD working for you, a few days after your last post? I hope well, and that you are managing to burn less midnight oil. You give so much to everyone (you work, your family and (ahem) us) that I genuinely wish that you could take off some hours (we'd miss you!) and somehow pamper yourself with the gentle care that you also richly merit. I read once that a Tibetan remedy for various chronic ills (stress, monthly pains, anxiety, etc.) is to gaze on beautiful things! I loved that. The idea that beauty can also heal.

Are you listening, warring factions? Beauty heals. Peace heals. Wisdom heals. We need to start a collection.

Girljedi, indeed that area of the world is beautiful. From your warm description of your time in the Levant, I feel that you would have loved Lebanon. Not for nothing was it known as the "Paris of the Middle East." Cafes on the Mediterranean, a vibrant, diverse, highly educated population. My Lebanese friends reminisce about spending balmy days at outdoor cafes -- and then repairing to ski only a short distance away! For such a tiny country, it offered so much. Will this area which has been so traumatised ever be able to recover its cosmopolitan charm? Its trust? When will we learn to see countries not merely as borders and mass but sisters chatting over tea, cousins batting a soccer ball in a nearby park, and young ones falling on love. Every moment of every day. Everywhere. People love.

Does that console or only provoke additional grief? I can never decide.

I am sending my warm thoughts to all.

Akhdar

akhdar

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2006, 11:25:47 PM »

Hi, all. Had a glass of champagne to toast a friend's birthday, last night. Refrained from eating too much then, but, today I have felt the need to munch, all day. Feels like a blood sugar thing or some chemical reaction. Also felt jangly and out of sorts.

It isn't worth it. I think that I am off alcohol for the interim.

Akhdar

Jenn

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2006, 06:15:14 AM »

Hi Akhdar,
   I notice that alcohol (red wine) doesn't seem to affect me if I take it with a meal.  But on an empty or nearly empty stomach, it makes me crave a lot.
I posted to Pinkmug yesterday saying how "bummed out" I am that I have not really lost much weight or any.  I was hoping that after 5-6 weeks of this I would notice a slight looser fitting of my clothing, but nothing really.  I just have days where I retain a little less water but then the next day I feel I am back to where I started.
I said that the only thing that keeps me hanging on is my "posting buddies" on the SLD board.  Well, ELOO has had a positive effect on my blood pressure so that is good.
   OOOOOHHHHHHHH the lamentation of a hopeless dreamer of a bikini worthy waistline.  If I could only subsist on a few carrot sticks a day I would be......I would be.....hmmmm I would be skinny like Nicole Ritchie!  No but seriously, I don't have dreams of being stick thin, but to fit into any dress or pair of jeans without a little bulge around the hips, would be dreamy!
    I suppose I could subscribe to the NO S DIET theory in combination of SLD.  NO SECONDS, NO SWEETS, NO SNACKS except for days that start with S.
   Or Pinkmug's Mediterannean diet. 
  The worst is, I don't feel like I am eating much.  I am actually eating very little in comparison to before.    I don't exercise though, I really should get out and walk, even for 15 mins a day.  I used to run 5 KM every day last year, then STUPID, HORRIBLE, YUCKY, WINTER hit and I stopped for fear of slipping and breaking a limb on the STUPID, HORRIBLE, YUCKY, WINTER ICE! (You know by now just how much I love cold weather :x
     OH, I must use more self control.   Get more ZEN!   Yeah, JENN the ZEN.  It shall be my motto for the day.

Take care
Jenn
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!

Ann H

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2006, 06:30:38 AM »

I feel your pain, Jenn! It is SO SLOW / nonexistent loss for so many of us--and it seems the majority of the women! But there is still so much evidence that it works, even on us (look at our appetites, right), and progress seems to be really being made on figuring out why some of us lose so slowly and how to overcome it, so I think it's worth sticking in there or at least checking in for a while.

One thing--have you tried the noseclips yet? It's in the "Why am I not losing weight" section. It's made a huge difference for me, but I've only been "clippin'" for about 3 days, so the scale is still not definite. (Looks heading down, though...) Check out the noseclips! :)

Well, I need to split and put my kids to bed. Just wanted to check in here and send my love to you and Akhdar and everyone else at Akhdar's Travel and Living channel. Will have to post more later: meanwhile, noseclips!

:)
Ann H

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2006, 06:45:21 AM »

I can absolutely document that I'm eating a fraction of what I was eating three months ago, my appetite is nonexistant, and I'm not losing (or losing very, very slowly). I'm not even tempted to quit; my blood pressure's down, the dry patches on my feet and elbows have disappeared, I feel good, I'm spending no time or money on food. But it's making me cranky, because this should not be possible.

I should not have lost weight as quickly as I did at first (a pound a day which, if you know the conventional wisdom of dieting, is impossible and absurd). I should not be eating as little as I'm eating and not losing weight now.

I'm feeling no pain, but things that make no sense seriously cheese me off.
Running weight tally:

Marianna

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2006, 06:59:04 AM »

Frenata --sounds like your set point is a yo yo sort of deal

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2006, 07:14:42 AM »

Frenata --sounds like your set point is a yo yo sort of deal

Well, only if you believe setpoint affects weight by some mechanism other than (or in addition to) appetite control. That's the kernel of the mystery.

The most sensible explanation is  SLD -> lower set point -> less appetite -> less food -> weight loss. If I have less appetite and eat less food, the conventional wisdom it's because my set point is low. And, further, weight loss will inevitably follow.

If it doesn't, there's either a WHOLE LOT of slack in the system (i.e. you can eat a lot more or a lot less and your body somehow deals with it without affecting fat stores), or there's something missing in the model.
Running weight tally:

Jenn

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2006, 08:47:31 AM »

Frenata,
  Maybe our metabolisms are slowing down along with the reduced calorie intake, therefore no more weight loss in order to conserve energy stores.
I don't know, but this is one time that being a woman sucks!  The men are quicker losers.  UGH!  They always seem to win! :wink:
Do you think it is because we like our alcohol?  Don't feel like giving it up to find out.  I like my Red wine!

Anne H,
   I haven't tried nose plugs yet.  I was the one who posted a "conflicting" post that Seth replied to.  He says it is just another way to get tasteless calories.  BUT I say that.....oil is already tasteless so there is no loss in pleasure anyway right?  But to take delicious food and purposely block the taste....it is almost unthinkable to me.  I would rather keep my love handles....I say yes to oil because it is tasteless anyway, but plugging the nose, hmmmmmm I am definitely not sure.

Tasting is a pleasure and why would I start to not taste my meals?  It seems that I would not know what to choose not to taste as I am a fairly good cook and like to enjoy my food when I do eat it, especially that the portions are smaller now.  I think I would get obsessed again about food if I could not enjoy the great taste of it.
Anne you are truly a pilgrim in testing this noseplug thing, I admire your courage and perseverance.  If it works for you I am willing to be your disciple :D

Cheers
Jenn

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2006, 09:28:12 AM »

My booze intake certainly is one of the factors that is suspect, but I'm counting those calories. And I'm drinking less now than I was when the weight was just flying off of me. When people say that alcohol ruins the SLD effect, they seem to be talking about booze giving them the munchies or reducing willpower, which isn't happening for me. I'm also just entering menopause. And hella constipated, as long as I'm sharing too much information. Somewhere within me, there is a large quantity of psyllium fiber that has apparently gotten lost and missed the exit. I suspect it's in the appendix.

I've been reluctant to add in crazy spicing or more tasteless food too, Jenn, for just the reasons you cite. But, unlike Seth, I don't plan to play with this stuff for fun if I ever reach my goal weight. So, I wouldn't mind too, too much ruining my food experience for a little while. Though I minded at first; the loss of appetite made me quite sad for the first week or so.

We've run off with akhdar's thread again, haven't we?
Running weight tally:

bigbaddar

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2006, 11:20:43 AM »

Oh those frozen margaritas do play with my appetite suppression.  I had two last night while playing bar bingo.  Today..I'm eating the most delicious zuchini bread.  I've had a couple a slices with butter. The alcohol throws my SLD a curve ball. Tomorrow's another day......sigh!

Reached my original goal of 200 lbs from 235....Onto a 2nd goal of 185!

Marianna

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2006, 01:30:13 PM »

Frenata --just a thought--had your thyroid checked recently??  constipation and lack of weight loss are both signs of hypothyroidism, which is often kicked off in women by hormonal shifts, e.g., menarche, pregnancy, and menopause.  I know you recently were losing--but just wondering if something shifted --which can happen--any other symptoms: e.g., hair loss, feeling cold, mental slowness (well now, I know that one isn't affecting you!)--anyhoo--as a hypothyroid person myself, just thought I'd mention . . .

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »

I daren't ask. My doc thinks I'm a bit of a hypochondriac as it is. Do they put you on medication, or do they just say "congratulations" and let you struggle along with it?

My intestinal system is what it is. This isn't unusual for me. It was the standard joke in my family: we hadn't seen Grandma in six months, we'd show up at her house and she'd run out, throw her arms around each of us and whisper in our ears, "have you had a bowel movement today?" We know where the center of the universe is.

Oh, dear. Now I have not only pinched akhdar's thread, but I'm discussing the family bowels on it. I am a very bad guest, akhdar. Forgive me.
Running weight tally:

Marianna

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2006, 04:28:16 PM »

they put you on meds AND you struggle along with it--

Me sorry too Adhdar--

Ann H

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »

Hey, I have hairloss, relative mental slowness (mentally slow relatives count?  :P erk erk) and am very often complaining of feeling cold when everyone else is fine. (Although I'm not sure I want to give that one up when I live in the tropics...) Maybe I am hypothyroid! Thanks for suggesting that, Marianna! I'll check it out more online and then figure out how in the world I could get that checked in my bizarre local health system.

I think all we can do, other than have a great time complaining of our genuinely difficult situations, is "up" the percentage of flavorless or unfamiliar calories in our diets, and try to "zilch" the familiar. (Have you crazy spiced your booze, Frenata? Or is that a suggestion one shouldn't make around a Tennesseean, without having running shoes on?) If any of us could manage that for a week to two weeks, I think that would be a true test of the theory, as it would "max it out".

Cheers to all!  Ann H
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18