Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Akhdar (in the Moment)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Akhdar (in the Moment)  (Read 46038 times)

girljedi

• "Do or do not; there is no try...."
Re: Pilgrim's Progress (a.k.a. akhdar)
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2006, 11:35:49 AM »

Congratulations on your success after just one month!

akhdar

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2006, 11:48:16 AM »

Thank you, girljedi. And thanks for slogging through these posts which must be incredibly tedious!

I wish you all the best with your own SLD adventure.

Akhdar

akhdar

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2006, 10:38:44 PM »

July 2. Scale up one pound.

Ah well. Today I felt really hungry and weak, and like I was dieting. Part of the cycle, I guess. Some days I have so much energy, no appetite, and feel on top of the world -- and then, on others, I feel weak, cranky, and ravenous. Just like life, I guess. It must be said, though, that the good days outnumber the fragile ones. Also, my skin is so dry and rashy, just the opposite from that which I would expect, after taking sixteen WG capsules in the morning. I did realise, though, that because I am ingesting all of the oil, every morning -- I have basically excluded it from the rest of my diet. (And since I suspect that the morning oils are bypassing digestion, I do not know how much of the beneficial fatty acids are being assimilated by the body and for what purpose) And I used to imbibe a lot of oil (flax oil for salads, coconut oil for sauteeing and cooking).

The only time that I feel as though I literally went insane on a diet was 14 years ago, when I did the whole no-fat thing and exercised for two hours, each day. For about eight months. I did lose some weight but went stark, raving mad in the process. So, to avoid that sorry fate, I think that I shall be judicious and re-incorporate some healthy oils.

Now that I am in my second month and have the hang of the diet, I don't want to slack off in other areas.

Goals for July: Remember to take my vitamins

Increase my dietary (good) oil intake, slightly

Exercise more consistently

Also, since I am so nonchalant about that which I eat, I think that I will incorporate some of the principles of the "Perricone program" as my skin is okay for my age -- and I am interested in keeping it that way. He does have a lot of ditto foods ("Eat salmon, every day! Eat blueberries, every day!") but I think that I can work around that. I seem to be nearly completely off of sugar with no effort at all -- and so this coincides with his whole philosophy.

Okay, I am just jabbering now.

Hasta,

Akhdar

Rabin the Cat

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2006, 11:37:12 PM »

For about eight months. I did lose some weight but went stark, raving mad in the process.
This might sound like hyperbole to some, but my MIL had a similar experience with extreme low fat eating. I'm glad you're finding some success with SLD.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 09:14:25 AM by Rabin the Cat »

Ann H

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 02:35:23 AM »

Extreme low fat is NUTS! (I think low fat at all, even, is nuts.) Our brains are made of fat, along with much other useful bodily stuff, and there's been serious correlative evidence found with lowfat diets and neural diseases like MS. No wonder folks go mad on lowfat diets. I wish that dieting method would just begone! I'm very glad it's gone from all of our lives, at least.

Just my 2 fat-appreciating cents, for no apparent reason :)
Ann H

Jenn

• **~Feeling more ZEN every day~**
    • come listen to some of our tunes on myspace
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2006, 08:39:26 AM »

Hi Akhdar,
   wow I have read all of your progress and you are an inspiration.  Your steady weightloss it a testament to the effectiveness of SLD.  Something that I have noticed in your posts is your very descriptive and beautiful writing style.  You should be a writer.  I loved reading your descriptions of eating fruits and the myriad of flavors and sensations you experienced.  You could be a serious food critic for a newspaper or journal. 
Thankyou for your beautiful posts.
keep it up!
Jenn
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!
I am at a healthy weight and get slimmer/healthier every day!

akhdar

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 12:16:08 AM »

Hello, everyone.

Thank you for your great responses.

Rabin the Cat and Ann H., You are both right. Low fat is nuts. And no fat is a prescription for the madhouse. To add insult to injury (or, rather, idiocy), I was basically living on pure sugar and plain pasta (all of these no-fat, high-sugar snack foods came into vogue at that time. Remember Snackwells?) Yes, it is very bad, and yes, the brain and so many other processes need fat. It was a dismal period in my life. I was an absolute mental wreck.

Jenn, Thank you so much for the sweetest note you wrote. I am so touched! I babble so that I feel I must be trying the patience of many in the forum. So, I thank you for your vote of confidence -- it was so appreciated; I carried your lovely words with me today like a gift. Which they truly were.

Today, I had one of those perfect SLD days! One of those days in which I am tempted to send Seth champagne and chocolate, through the post.

The scale is at 137 which is half a pound or so up from my lowest weight but no matter. The speed with which I achieved 137 does not cease to amaze me and, as Seth said, the general trend is down and so no need to worry over minor fluctuations.

First of all, I slept. Last night, I slept and so deeply. I awoke like a new person. I could not believe it. It was past noon when I got out of bed. Paradise. And you know, I have been attributing the insomnia to the huge rush of Wheat Germ (SLD) energy, but I am no longer convinced that this is the case (Seth is probably tempted to throttle me for the huge deviations in my SLD conclusions. Ah...well, we measure and study and keep learning, I guess.). I think that I may have had insomnia for more well, personal reasons (all right, all right --a tormenting unrequited crush, if you must know. Such bliss! Such despair! Ah, well. One of life's little agonising pleasures (Hey! I'm three-quarters Slav. Pleasure and agony are easily confounded. Hence: Vodka. But, I digress...)

This being said, the Wheat Germ Oil did give me a surfeit of energy -- so that, although I was not sleeping much (but, oh! the dreams! the dreams!), I could function through my days. In the past, I would have crashed. There is no way that I could have had any sort of energy, after so many sleepless nights. That which happened, here, is that my physical energy was still high, but my brain was a bit frazzled from the insomnia. And so I became slightly cranky and out of sorts. Also, I have noticed in the past that, if I do not sleep sufficiently, my appetite shoots way up. It is a testament to SLD that, given the little rest I was getting, I ate more than I generally would under ideal SLD conditions -- but far less than I would have, given the same scenario pre-SLD.

(NB: I just realised that SLD is an anagram for LSD. Is this the reason for which food tastes so good?)

Get to the point, Akhdar. Okay, I had one of those perfect SLD days in which loads of irrational happiness washed over me like a warm neurochemical bath. My energy was focused. I felt alert and congenial. And I had no hunger or even hints of hunger for the first six hours of my day. I taught a student whose lessons generally last two hours, but, finally, she interrupted me, pleading that her head was beginning to ache from all of the verb tenses. Two and a half hours passed and I had not noticed. In the past, if I hadn't eaten before teaching, I would have been a hypoglycemic mess subsequent. This time, nada. I went to eat. Forgot about it. Went to the drugstore, the grocery store (from which place I have been a lot less conspicuous of late!), and the department store (well, what am I supposed to do with all of the money I am saving from eating one-third of my previous intake? Buy some lip gloss, of course!). Finally came home and was calm enough that I could actually cook without ripping open the cans and cartons. I made a good portion of chilaquiles with Swiss Cheese (hardly a low fat dish, I am happy to report!) and ate it all with relish!

The funny thing is that, while all flavours have become more intense for me, this seems especially true with any hint of sweetness. The chilaquiles were wonderful, but it was especially the tomato which seemed profound and fresh and hugely flavourful to me. Tomorrow, I think that for one meal, I shall just savour cucumbers and tomatoes with a bit of salt. Again, the flavours are nearly hallucinatory. I have to stop what I am doing to fully appreciate them. I did not know that fresh produce could contain so many flavours: hints and complexity of subtle shadings of tastes. It seems odd to say this, but dining for me now is much more akin to appreciating an impressionist painting with dashes of vibrant hues. Almost as though there is a certain reflex which, for a few moments, reveals the perfect sensation of eating a true tomato. Or the sweet crunch of a cucumber. I had read of this sort of thing before, induced by meditation or as a philosophy, and dismissed it all as pop psychological hyperbabble. But this is visceral. This is unprompted by any decision. This is a chemical transformation.

Each "side effect" of the SLD seems as wonderful as the diet's stated goal. How to feel calm and happy, become a lively hedonist, and save loads of money. Oh yeah, and lose as much weight as you like.

Thanks,

Akhdar

Ann H

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 12:33:32 AM »

Another delightful post, Akhdar! I hope our comments don't drive you to feel you must eternally be clever and brilliant in your writing--it is your personal space after all, to write as you wish. Eh? (If we want good stuff, we gotta pay and buy your book! :) ) But I sure do love reading your thoughts.

I totally agree about the fresh produce. And such intense and delightful flavors are not to be found in anything else (unless it used to be fresh produce, such as a really good grape juice, perhaps, and choc perhaps--and that's a bean...), except maybe good cheeses. All of the dense protein and carbo sources really just can't compare to the produce. Shows us something about our "natural" state, neh?

I so much appreciate this "diet" that it doesn't force us away from healthy and good stuff, like our olive oils and cheeses. Or fruits! Oprah restricted fruits!  :shock: I can barely manage without my regular pomegranates, which I've had trouble getting recently--not to mention all the other fruits! Such a more sane diet.

And on a personal note, you do language tutoring, I see! That's a great use of your polyglot abilities! Which languages? Which methods? :) I'm an ESL consultant (got trained in second language acquisition and teaching English as a second/foreign language) and do my work teaching English, when I'm not teaching Critical Thinking and Writing, or doing my art, or working on that great screenplay that came to me in a dream and I've gotta finish...

Please do give more details about your work or any other thoughts! I know you hesitate as this is a public forum, but it is your personal thread, and so I think you're free to "digress" in conversations with other SLDers! :) As long as you don't reveal before the public eye that which you would regret, eh?

Cheers!

akhdar

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 07:20:01 PM »

Hello, all.

First things first (before I forget); the following has happened so often that I no longer believe it to be just happenstance but a real physiological effect (based on what, I do not know. Diurnal/nocturnal hormonal rhythms? Early morning tastes in my mouth? A longer window?  Fewer nervous thoughts in my head? Who knows?):

If I wake up in the very early morning (5 or 6 a.m.) and take the capsules, my appetite is much more suppressed and for much longer in the day than if I sleep through my alarm, forget to set it, whatever, and don't get around to taking the oil until, say, 10 a.m. (even while giving it a good, long flavourless window afterwards. Ninety minutes to two hours). In the latter case, my appetite kicks in earlier and stronger, and the satiety signal is not as pronounced. SLD still works, but the effect is noticeably weaker than if I take the oils in the wee hours of the morning. (Hey, I'm Ukranian. 5 - 6 a.m. is considered "wee hours". We're a carousing sort of maniacal race. Except that I'm not. Carousing, that is. I'll cop to maniacal and I like to sleep late.) Also, if I take the oil in the later morning, I feel it begin to digest, and I suspect that this has something to do with the less potent effect.

Ann H, my dear, you are so sweet and patient. Thank you for your generous compliments -- all of which were wholly unmerited. Of course I feel not at all compelled to be clever or brilliant: Thank God, Frenata has got both of those categories covered. Takes the pressure off of the rest of us. And I am with you on the cheese. I love cheese. It is like a surrogate mother. (Analyse that! Ha ha!) I love pomegranates, too! And the juice -- so sour and tangy. And so beautiful, like brilliant jewels. Do you remember the first time you opened a pomegranate? They are like little miracles, transporting us back to the hanging gardens of Babylon.

Yes, dear. I ,too, have a TEFL certificate (comes in handy abroad-- as you well know). And I tutor students in Spanish, at home. It is a lot of fun.

Your interests and talents are so diverse and scintillating. Art and critical thinking seem to be located so distinctly in the brain that I imagine that it is a rare person, indeed, who can combine the two. Of what is Critical Thinking composed? It sounds so intriguing. As we do not have the benefit of your wise presence in these United States, are there any books you might recommend? And, as for the art; do you have a specialty? A particular material that you find most expressive of your unique talents and abilities? Add to that your languages, spiritual nature, and endless good cheer and we are very fortunate to have Ann H on our site with whom to exchange ideas and theories.

Hope that your month has gotten off to a lovely start, my dear.

Best, Akhdar.

akhdar

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2006, 07:52:15 AM »

Okay. I reneged.

I made a pledge not to eat garlic and onions for my last meal of the day and...well, garlic and onions are my drug. So, I ate them at 10: 20 p.m. (in a spectacular reprise of the chilaquiles -- differently spiced, natch). I have to remind myself that it is not worth the (perhaps unfounded) anxiety of the next morning when I am downing my capsules and still have the taste in my mouth. It does not seem to happen if I eat these sulphurous sweeties for lunch.

And no; no amount of tooth brushing and mouthwash remedies the after-effect.

So! No garlic and/or onions after 6 p.m. :(  This must be the anti-Mediterranean diet.

Might help me in my amorous pursuits, anyway. Though I have to confess that I find garlic breath incredibly seductive. Ah well.

Am I off-topic yet?

Best, (an odoriferous) Akhdar

akhdar

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »

* Has anyone else noticed that their vsion is sharper, and that colours are brighter? I feel as if this is true for me.

* Pleased to note that the rashes have cleared since I am back on wheat germ oil. Skin very soft and glowy.

* Weight, today: 135.5

* Had a disorienting hypoxic attack, last night -- not SLD's fault at all -- it is because I am severely (genetically) anemic and have a brain injury which prevents a good uptake of oxygen. However, the lowered blood pressure (in general, a good thing!) may exacerbate this condition. And so have become more vigilant about good nutrition and vitamins -- easy to do when food matters so little (but tastes so good!)

Best, Akhdar

Jenn

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2006, 08:16:53 AM »

Akhdar,
  I don't notice that colors are brighter etc.  You amaze me, you seem so ZEN!  So in tune with the universe, and every sense around you.  Your posts are so inspiring and beautiful.  I love to read them.  I wouldn't be surprised if you have some sort of extrasensory perception.  Some people are very sensitive like that.  Your sensorial experiences are amazing, you are so alive! 
all I can say is WOW!

You mentioned a brain injury, did your senses get sharper after that? Or is it SLD ?

Jenn
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!

akhdar

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2006, 10:44:17 PM »

My dear Jenn,

I am so humbled and touched by your generous description. You couldn't possibly be talking about me! I think that which you perceive are only facets of your own beautiful Zen "alive" self. Thank you so much for the wonderful note. I am actually tearing up as it has been a difficult few days. My brain's uptake of oxygen, since the car accident, has been dismal and a few days ago, I completely lost my motor skills, word recall, and short term memory. It has taken me days to feel normal, again, and so your very lovely sentiment has touched me to the quick at a vulnerable time (Oh my God, am I even speaking like this on a public forum? Get a grip, Akhdar!) and feels just like the medicine I need. So, I think that it must be you who is the healer.

I love your idea of an increase in sensory skills subsequent to the accident. Would that this be the case! Actually, immediately following the accident, I lost my olfactory sense altogether. Great for SLD, not so hot for my mental state. I think that my senses have become sharper and more acute, thanks to SLD, and that the wheat germ oil has vastly improved my mood and concentration. I am glad that you referenced this as it is an important facet to remember. Anything is possible and everything can change.

I thank you again (and so sincerely) for your gracious spirit and kind words.

Akhdar

Ann H

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2006, 11:10:04 PM »

I'm just back from a snatch-some-chocolate/coconut/cheese/other-stuff-of-life trip over the border to Singapore. (Actually driven by having to leave Malaysia and come back for the passport's sake: great way to get my hubbie to take me to Singapore to stock up on necessaries!!)

Thank you for your wonderful comments to me, Akhdar! You are indeed very kind to all of us! :) I think you will have a wonderful life here, and to come!

My goodness on the hypoxia!!! I am so sorry! I have pretty severe congenital anemia as well: definitely no good once a brain injury added as well!!

What else can be done to help? You know about pomegranate skin powder, yes? (Used traditionally for anemia in Afghanistan, but I haven't yet done any diligence checking it out.) Anything else to be done? Do you have good plants in your home to improve local oxygenation? (Or do they take up too much O2 at night to be of any assistance? I had heard a rumor that at night they suck in O2--due diligence needed on that good "lead" as well...

Why are you limiting your intake of our wonderful friends the pungent bulbous roots at night again? Aftertaste, was it?

Well, I need to go now--overwhelmed with work to get back to post-Singapore--but just wanted to jot this note and send my caring thoughts! Will be in touch again later... Take care of yourself!

Ann

Jenn

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2006, 05:05:26 AM »

I ditto Ann H on her comment saying that you have been so kind in your comments to us all.  It is an inspiration to read such kind words and poetic like posts from you Akhdar.  I haven't noticed in previous posts saying where you come from, but you seem to live in some sort of exotic place, and ann H too trips to singapore? I live just outside of montreal Quebec...probably the most exotic place in Canada, but Canada isn't all that exotic. Except for all of the nice variety of ethnic cultures.  My neighbours left of me are greek, the  ones in front are arab, to the right are French, 2 doors down, chinese, behind Italian, They all are first generation canadians, as their parents are immigrants here.  What a cool thing I think.
  I just love my Greek Neighbor, she brings me nice treats...My 2 sets of grandparents were Greek/Hungarian  immigrants, but my parents and myself are very boringly Canadian.  so I love picking up all of the culture around here.
  You spoke of Garlic....AHHH lemons and Garllic, fresh basil and Tomatos.....I wish I lived in the Mediteranean!

Jenn
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18