Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
New Ad Banners?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Ad Banners?  (Read 4912 times)

shovelqueen

New Ad Banners?
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »

So what's with the annoying new ad banners on the website?  Anyone else seeing these ads? - right under the top banner, and before the rest of the boards.  Kinda hard to avoid when they are so central. 

And every one of them is for personal self-improvement - creams, anti-aging stuff, weight loss. 

Bleech!! :x

"Strength, balance, joy!"

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: New Ad Banners?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »

I see them
and don't pay any attention
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:49:28 PM »

We've had some advertising on this board before, and Seth canvassed our feelings about it before introducing it previously.  Somebody or something has to cover the costs of the "free" Internet.  This board is free for our use, and the breadth of discussion here also extends beyond what could be considered merely promotive of the Shangri-La Diet.  If Seth wishes to recover his webhosting costs of running this board by allowing limited advertising, then that's his prerogative.

Lots of discussion boards have advertising -- some with more than what we've seen here, and often with ads between posts in a thread, where they're much more intrusive.  As for the content of the ads, it's probably selected automatically by context-scanning for keywords of interest.  This can result in some quite perverse selections for what is to be displayed, such as (for instance) ads for meat products being displayed on a vegetarian discussion board, where the context scanning picks up on "meat" where posters might be talking about how disgusting they find the idea of eating meat.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »

like karky i ignore them.

hopefully they will remain as they are and not turn into say pop-up ads which are way more annoying!!!

IndianGirl

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »

I am happy about the ads coz it means Seth will make profits/recover costs for the wonderful forum he is running. win-win for all :)

Phoebe

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »

I noticed the ads a day or so ago.  I feel I have learned a great deal from this forum, so I certainly don't begrudge Seth the income from the ads.  I just scroll down until the ad banner disappears from my screen and I can read in peace.  No problem. 

I must agree with Shovelqueen's assessment of the content, though.  Did you see the fake "before and after" wrinkle one?  It was hilarious! :lol:   

Diana S

• Catch her In The Rye
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:36:53 AM »

Maintaining a web site costs money and it makes me happy that Seth may get some compensation for his generosity--I'll bet it's not all that much.  It's costing us nothing to have access to all the excellent information available here.  Unless we want to contribute something to it, both the presence and content of the ads are none of our business.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »

yes i saw the eye ad.. hey its there now!!

'before and after'  photoshop....:)  it actually says 'simulated imagery. results not typical'  how dumb do advertisers think we are????

but if that's what it takes for us to have this forum its ok by me!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18