Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Platinum Calories check-in

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Platinum Calories check-in  (Read 44004 times)

shovelqueen

Re: Platinum Calories check-in
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2010, 03:10:32 PM »

I've been using a blood glucose monitor to test reactions to different foods and meal compositions. I noticed a spike this morning when I tested before and after platinum coffee. I wasn't sure whether it might be the caffeine or the packet of artificial sweetener, so I repeated the test late this afternoon by having the platinum coffee without artificial sweetener and my blood glucose reading went down after the same time period (which makes sense because I use coconut milk and that lowers blood glucose, at least according to Todd's experience), so I suspect artificial sweeteners cause me to react as if I had sugar. I wonder if anyone else who is having trouble with platinum calories might actually be having a problem with artificial sweetener (if using that).

You might want to hold off on conclusions until you try the no-sweetener coffee in the morning, too.  Our bodies have a strong circadian rhythm, and may have a different reaction to the same thing at different times of day.  Plat cals still "break the fast", so to speak, after the long night of no intake, so the reaction may be more to do with that.  Not sure, just brainstorming... :)

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »

Pink, that sounds yummy! 

Pic of Yummy Platinum Balls:

tahini/grated coconut/cinnamon/hint of honey (optional)
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Jbird

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »

Thanks, Shovel Queen! I was wondering if time of day could make a difference. The morning readings were 85 before platinum coffee with packet of artificial sweetner and 128 about an hour and 15 min. later, and this afternoon's readings were 96 before platinum coffee without the sweetener and 76 afterwards. I'll try first thing in the morning without the sweetener and see how it goes and report. Really appreciate your input!

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »

jbird, looking forward to your morning glucose readings.

i stopped adding sweetener (xylitol) b/c drinking CM is pleasureable enough without the sweetness.  today i've been in a hurry all the way through.  didn't get CM this morning and this afternoon i couldnt wait for making a tea drink so i just drank 3 T of CM and chased it w/a glass of water.  this is my third day using the same can of CM--not bad moneywise.

today at costco, i picked up a jar of olive tapenade: http://www.cantarefoods.com/nutritionals.asp?productsid=20

it looks like a platinum calorie item to me.  i wish i could figure out a low carb/low protein cracker to pair with it.  might be fun to have an all platinum calorie day or at least have a normal lunch and then do a platinum calorie dinner to see what would happen . . .

AS still not knocking me down but i don't crave anything at all.

falconcy

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2010, 01:09:32 AM »

Might try the balls Pink, Tahini is easy enough to get here, I have some in the fridge, I also have grated coconut in the cupboard. Sounds like it would be a good thing to take to work for lunch, probably minus the honey as I am not really into sweet right now. Are people getting good AS on this?
A legend in his own lunch hour

Jbird

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2010, 09:37:56 AM »

I posted these results on the blood glucose monitoring thread just now, but this morning's experiment with coffee, coconut milk but no sweetener was like yesterday afternoon's results, so it looks like it's the artificial sweetener that's the culprit. I may try again with sweetener to further confirm or maybe a decaffeinated beverage with sweetener to take caffeine out of the equation. Here are my readings since yesterday on platinum coffee:

Yesterday a.m.: before 85, approx. 1 hr. after platinum coffee (PC) with artificial sweetener (AS) 128
Yesterday p.m.: before 96, approx. 1 hr. after PC without AS 76
Today a.m.: before 90, approx. 1 hr. after PC without AS 78

TalkingRat

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »

I haven't made up my mind about CM vs. CO.  I liked the taste of CM, and wanted more.  I tried CM with dark cocoa and a very small bit of splenda, and that was too much like dessert.  Given Jbird's glucose findings, the artificial sweetener may have contributed to the problem, but it reminded me of those who reported back on their experiments with CO balls in powdered sugar; very tasty, and it didn't work.  I don't remember how many carbs they added in that experiment, though.

My AS was better with 1 tsp. CO coffee.  CO coffee tastes more like black coffee, and while I feel a small energy boost, there's no creamy flavor tempting me to have more.  The coffee flavor sticks around a long time, and may help stretch the AS.  I still have a can of CM, so I may try CM again, keeping it closer to  40 calories.

Chrianna, I'm curious how the olive tapenade worked.  And even if it didn't, how it tasted.  :)

Pip

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »

I have been mixing about 1tbsp of CO with 3 tbsp of CM in decaf coffee with nothing else all morning, making sure to have at least 1 hour window before eating. My AS has been fantastic and actually I went from two cups of this in the morning to just one.

Also, my the afternoon care coordinator at my daughter's school is using the CM on my suggestion and raves about it everyday to me. She lost 5 lbs. in the first week. I think she is talking about it to everyone at the school, so I expect all the teachers and staff will try it by the end of the year.  :lol:

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »

Oooh, its been a little while since I last saw posts here.  I'm intrigued by Pink's balls (oh dear that doesn't sound good does it?), and the tapenade.  I've been trying to think of things you could use for the tapenade and I'm vaguely remembering some Atkins recipe for cheese "crackers" made by baking circles of shredded parmesean cheese until it turns into a crisp wafer.  I'm not positive if it would have too much protein though to qualify for platinum food, and I'd be worried about your sodium intake with olives and parm cheese both being very high in sodium.

I really need to find a good platinum dessert.  I have run out of CM, and forget to buy some when I go to the store.  I still think that CM + unflavored gelatin would work wonders.  Maybe even with some chocolate mixed in for fun.

I've also been contemplating making a bavarian creme style dessert with whipped cream and gelatin (a bavarian is basically a molded moussee meaning that its eggs and whipped cream mixed with some delicious sugary sauce, my version would replace the eggs with just whipped cream, and the sauce with simply some cocoa or cm or something similar). 

I'm out of $$$ this week, but next week maybe I'll take a more discriminating eye to the grocery store and let you know if I have any platinum revelations...

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »

Ahh good thing you mentioned my balls Goblyn  :D They are filling! Now I just mix tahini and coconut flakes. No more honey, because, one must add quite a lot of it to sweeten the mix a bit.

this morning I spread the ball mix in half a roll of bread, and by lunch time I wasn't hungry! Miracle  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

August

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »

I've no idea if this would be platinum or not, but here's a tasty recipe:

2 oz chocolate (the unsweetened pure stuff)
4 oz coconut milk
2 tbsp butter

That'll melt together pretty effectively in the microwave.  Stop every fifteen seconds or so the chocolate won't scorch.  It seems to me chocolate melts this way at a much lower temperature than it would otherwise.
Now you put in the other ingredients.

2 tbsp xylitol
4 eggs yolks
a few drops of vanilla extract

Mix until smooth.  I've got an immersion blender which is just perfect for this kind of thing.

I had put something of this sort (sans butter) into a ramekin and baked it up as a souffle, but the xylitol gets less sweet in the baking process, so I just put it in the fridge and found it to be a wonderful pudding type dessert.  Probably serves two... 

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2010, 02:25:55 PM »

Probably serves two...

it serves one if that one is me...  :D

VeganKitten

« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »

I'm very late on this wagon  :lol: ... but I finally tried my morning coffee with full-fat coconut milk and stevia, and it's very satiating. I had 3 tbsp today (= 90 calories or so). I postponed lunch until 3 p.m.!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2010, 09:59:41 PM »

i've been taking CM in coffee for the health benefits....and cos i like it :)  does nothing for AS for me.  or weight loss.
this week i've been very good with the lo-carb and.....i've gone down 3lbs!!  so it seems quite obvious what i have to do.  hopefully my '6 month wait' is over and the weight will go down beyond my last 'sticking point'

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2010, 07:19:04 AM »

Yay Nougat!

August, I don't think it qualifies as platinum as its too much protein from the eggs, BUT, it sounds delicious.  I recall during my atkins phase doing something similar except using cream cheese along with the egg...

Can someone give me the ratio amounts again for something that would qualify as platinum.  I know its like no more than a certain amount of carbs or protein per serving (unless the carbs are like fiber or certain sugar alcohols).

I was discussing this with a coworker who is doing low carb and she mentioned these whole grain tortillas that she found that have lots of carbs, but lots of fiber and if you subtract the fiber from the carbs it works out to be only like 3 or 4 carbs per tortilla or something, and I was thinking that if you could slather them with some oil, and then bake the heck out of them, you would have a nice crisp base for some platinum spreads and dips.  I know I'd be perfectly happy with that, as, while I love creamy texture, there are plenty of times when I really want a crunch to go along with it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18