Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Platinum Calories check-in

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Platinum Calories check-in  (Read 45136 times)

nougat

• Malta EU
Re: Platinum Calories check-in
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »

well  all week i've tried the coconut milk in tea/coffee + milk and even when i had more than 2 tablespoons of it i'm sorry to say i did not have any AS.    yesterday  as an example i had to go to hosp with DH.  so had a big plat-cal drink .... after 2 hours my tummy was rumbling audibly which  rarely happens to me.  :(

now breakfast is a meal i can miss quite easiy esp if i'm going out or really busy/engrossed in something.  i may feel hunger pangs but they dissappear after a while.  same thing happened yesterday.  but i do like the coconut milk drinks so i continue to have them just for the health benefits.

i must buckle down and follow 'protein power' more closely....and hope it starts working again.

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »

It's the strangest thing.  I came across a thread on a low carb diet forum (Jimmy Moore's Livin La Vida Low Carb) that is almost a parallel universe to our discoveries here about platinum calories.  Other people experimenting with CO/heavy whipping cream (aka HWC) in their coffee (reporting high energy, weight loss and occasional queasiness), intermittent fasting, low carb, high fat, blood glucose monitoring, ketosis monitoring --- the whole routine. And I never saw any of this before today. Take a look at this long thread. It's very long and almost tedious to read through, you really have to skim past a lot of the small talk (amusing as it is in places) to find the nuggets. There's not a lot of science there, but some interesting personal experiences. Much of this sounds similar to our discussions (though the personalities are quite different), and there are some things we could learn from. The most interesting part starts around Post #55 through about Post #140:

http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.com/showthread.php?tid=1779&pid=42916#pid42916 

Just thought you guys might enjoy browsing through this.  I think that Jimmy's Moore's website generally also has a lot of good information on low carb dieting.

Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

Jbird

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »

Thanks for the link Todd. I'm familiar with Jimmy Moore's site but not a regular reader. I want to read through this thread, though, as soon as I get a chance. Glad to see KT left a comment on your "Getting Stronger" site. I want to add more posts but haven't had a chance yet and it's already so late here on the east coast. Staying up too late since getting back from Australia, but I was a virtuous early bird over there. Sometimes I think my body clock means I'm meant to live in a different time zone!

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2010, 01:26:36 AM »

I am so excited to hear about coconut milk.  I friggin' love CM!  And its so cheap (compared to EVCO)!  I could quite easily live with having CM based desserts that I make myself.  Does gelatin have any protein or carbs?  I'm thinking you could make a custard type dish out of CM, gelatin, and stevia.  Mmmm.....

i'm madly reading this thread but i wanted to add that there is such thing as a coconut custard. here in hawaii, we call it haupia.  here's the recipe which i'm sure can be modified (or not?) to be platinum calories:

http://www.ochef.com/112.htm

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2010, 01:36:17 AM »

I have to report the sweetness of CO makes it a great dessert for me - a signal to the brain that the meal is over - I put 1/2 tsp under my tongue after a meal and let it melt.
I have been using coconut though not very consistently. E.g.: oatmeal (porridge) with coconut milk - delicious. Somehow CM on its own is too sickening for me.
Last evening I invented another treat - mixed 1 tsp tahini- could have been peanut butter too - with enough grated coconut to make  a little ball, and added just a hint of honey. Lovely!!

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2010, 08:07:53 AM »

Chrianna,

I am almost positive you could make a similar foodstuff by taking heavy cream, coconut milk and unflavored gelatin, with some stevia or similar sweetener for sweetness.  Melt the gelatin with a little bit of hot coconut milk (or just water), mix it into the other ingredients and put in the fridge to set.  Probalby not the same flavor, but consistancy would be close enough to it to make it passable.  I want to try it out myself, but I haven't had time.

Pink, that sounds yummy! 

The other night after a very intensive cleaning session at my new place, I made myself a CM smoothie:  a whole can of coconut milk (how scandalous!  but I don't feel bad because it was totally filling and I had no other carbs to speak of during the day), a splash or two of heavy cream to thicken, a tablespoon or two of peanut butter, a spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder, a splash of vanilla extract, a few packets of stevia and some ice cubes, whirled in my blender.  It was very good, and very filling and had i known, I probably would have made either half the amount, or put half in the fridge, as it was a struggle to drink the whole concoction lol.

shovelqueen

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2010, 08:31:43 AM »

Goblyn, your smoothie sounds awesome!! 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »

There is definately something about coconut milk that both excites me and repulses me.  Its like the coconut flavor, which i love, is there, but its so concentrated that its almost not appetizing, so I find that with coconut milk I enjoy the first few bites or sips and then it gets a little yucky to eat, which is WONDERFUL as it means that a smaller amount can satisfy my craving for something creamy and sweet, and I won't be tempted to go crazy and eat a huge amount...

chrianna

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »

whew! its taken me all day (between getting other things done) to read this thread and the original one that set off the platinum calories theory.  today i did 1 T EVO in decaf chai this morning and 1 T EVO + 1 t zylitol in the same tea midafternoon.  my lunch was pretty light although my dinner was a footlong subway sandwich (yeah i ate abt 3 inches too much). no knock me over AS but the afternoon dose kept me from the big snacking i usually do at that time and the morning dose made the next thing i put in my mouth (diet coke abt three hrs later) make me feel full.  weird and i'll take it.  when all was said and done and plugged into sparkpeople, i ate 1200 cals although it felt like more (esp dinner).

i'm sosososososo happy that i can use coconut milk tho a larger amount.  CM is relatively cheap here and the richness in my tea should eliminate any need for a sweetener.  i'm happy that talking rat contacted me re: plat cals so i can come back and (crossing fingers) benefit from this new theory.  mahalo seth, todd and the SLDers who continue to experiment and report back!

TalkingRat

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2010, 10:43:57 AM »

Chrianna, now you have me thinking about coconut milk.  :)   I looked at the nutritional label and it has a lot of nutrients in it that CO does not have, that would be nice.  I imagine it will only be available in cans here.  It is wonderful that you are able to take advantage of location.  I'm going to wait and see your impressions, before I even think of changing the good thing I have going. 

I'm still loving the serotonin effect, the need for less caffeine, and my resting heart rate dropped even more, to 44.

chrianna

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2010, 11:57:28 PM »

ok, TR and others, today i did CM in my chai in the morning and mid-afternoon.  3 T each time.  it made the tea taste rich and i didn't feel like i needed sweetener so i didn't add it. as for AS, it was the same as the first day--AS somewhat but not the knock-me-over make-me-nauseous kind i would get with oil.  another thing is that i'm not taking in as much CO as i did with the ELOO.  i could get that really good AS with 3 T of ELOO but i'm only doing 2 T of CO right now.  if i increase the CO, can i get that good AS?

i use the tea+CO in the morning as a breakfast, make sure i eat some decent protein at lunch, have the tea mid-afternoon and then eat dinner.  both evenings, dinner was not the ordinary routine--both times i ate more than i should have b/c of the occasion--so i don't have a baseline to measure weight loss with.  things should settle down tomorrow and thru the rest of the week.

TR, the CM i used did come in cans.  would the cans compromise the quality of the CM?  there is also a CM product that comes in little boxes (like a drink box) and i wonder if that would be a better choice even tho' slightly more expensive than the cans.

one thing i did notice (that i like) is that i feel quite good with the CO. i am able to be productive and i feel calm, almost happy.  i'm guessing that's the serotonin effect?  if i can get that consistently and have this middling AS, i think i can live with it.  also i'm weaning myself from my beloved diet pepsi.  going cold turkey today didn't feel as stressful as it could have under regular circumstances (tho i did need a nap lol) so i wonder if that's also b/c of the increased serotonin.

would love to get some feedback re: increasing the CO or not.  i am treating it like SLD calories so maybe it would be worth it to try . . .

TalkingRat

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »

Chrianna, I'd say give AS a little more time.   My first T. of ELOO gave me knock-out AS, the disinterest in food kind.  But maybe current weight vs. setpoint was right to get an instant effect then.  Other times, it didn't work that fast.  For platinum calories, it was ~5 days for disinterest in food, as opposed to the more short term effects of hunger control and satiety.  With SLD, I used ~290-360 unflavored calories a day, and for CFF and PC, it was 40-120 calories (plus 50 fishoil calories).  I dose PC like it's CFF -- where flavor does the work, the fewer the calories, the better.  With UNflavored SLD, the calories do the work.  Have you seen Pinkmug's  'genes' article in the news section?  Between genes and glucose/insulin  and allergies -- it's amazing anything works for weight loss.  :? 

I know nothing about CM, I was looking online to see what the container would look like.  :lol:   I read it comes in cans, or fresh in bottles.  Fresh sounded good, but like frozen vs. fresh berries and beans here, it's also true that fresh may not be cheaper, or fresher.  The nutrition label on the website said their emulsifiers and stabilizers were not at all harmful.  So I immediately wondered what gets added, but they could also be adding it to fresh CM.  You're in the perfect place to find an expert. :)

Glad you're getting the calm.  SSRIs make serotonin stick around like it's supposed to, and  the same calm/peace I get when AS kicks in is exactly what I get from SSRIs, within hours instead of the usual weeks.  Most people are not sensitive to serotonin change, so it's a slow buildup and they don't notice when they miss a pill, either.  I've experienced the serotonin calm and the caffeine disinterest  several times with SLD, and they are closely associated to the timing of knock-out AS.  As I recall, when we lost AS, you and I both got caffeine indifference just before our AS returned.  So you may not have had to quit cold turkey, but it's probably good to reduce the caffeine.  Now, how am I going to do that with CO coffee? 

chrianna

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:34 PM »

well. i'm down over 3 lbs since thursday.  that's even with a footlong sub on friday night and wonton soup for dinner last night as well as popcorn at the movies.  last night i was up at least 5 times to use the bathroom. lets just say i'm sure i lost a lot of water weight over night.  i see this as my body recognizing that we're shifting into fat-burning instead of fat-storing. 

sticking with my tea and CM brekkie and will have another one this afternoon.  depending on how many calories ingested today, i may add in 1 T of CO tonight.  or maybe not.  i hate to mess up a good thing.

TalkingRat

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »

Chrianna, congratulations on your great start!  I agree, don't mess with success. 

I did great today, although I thought about food a lot from mid-morning until dinner, when I had chicken, nothing but, and loading up on protein made me full.  Two hours later I added green beans, and am stuffed.  Last night I did 90 minutes on my recumbent bike, and I guess I needed protein.  I'm going to add more to the first half of the day.  It's weird that I have this much AS, once I got the protein.

Jbird

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »

I've been using a blood glucose monitor to test reactions to different foods and meal compositions. I noticed a spike this morning when I tested before and after platinum coffee. I wasn't sure whether it might be the caffeine or the packet of artificial sweetener, so I repeated the test late this afternoon by having the platinum coffee without artificial sweetener and my blood glucose reading went down after the same time period (which makes sense because I use coconut milk and that lowers blood glucose, at least according to Todd's experience), so I suspect artificial sweeteners cause me to react as if I had sugar. I wonder if anyone else who is having trouble with platinum calories might actually be having a problem with artificial sweetener (if using that).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18