Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Platinum Calories check-in

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Platinum Calories check-in  (Read 43641 times)

Jbird

Re: Platinum Calories check-in
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 02:02:27 PM »

Hi Everyone: Just got back from Australia...and thanks to Tandoori's tip re: double cream, I finally got under 130 lbs. It was surprising to come back weighing less considering I wasn't really dieting. I had coffee w/cream each morning, then a reasonable lunch and dinner, trying to stick with lighter fare though I did try all the local delicacies, including a meat pie topped with mashed potatoes, gravy and "mushy" peas. Some of my "rellies" complained that I wasn't eating enough, but I think that was their way of showing hospitality. I just picked up the closest thing to double cream I could find, Devon Double Cream, from Whole Foods. An oz (28 g) is 130 cals and 13 g fat, less than a g of carb, and no protein. I'm glad to see a separate thread to post platinum progress. Also interested in what Todd's been sharing about glucose monitoring and will be trying that. I was told I had reactive hypoglycemia when I was in my early 20's, and I'd like to have a better understanding of how I respond to different foods and meal timing. Anyway, had a wonderful time but glad to be back and catching up on everyone's posts. J

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 06:49:45 AM »

Wow, that's incredible Jbird!  Good for you!

Well the carb aversion is staying, last night's supper was some lamb pieces sauteed in olive oil with a red wine/mustard sauce that I whipped up (though there were some carbs, there weren't that many, not that much wine or mustard went into it) and some broccoli.  Then dessert was frozen coconut milk from the night before (it froze SOLID too, so I'm thinking in the future I'll pop it into my popsicle mold so I can have it on a stick, as that will be easier than trying to hold a big huge disc of frozen coconut milk and licking it and making a huge mess (I was too impatient to let it melt).

Then I had a large iced coffee with stevia and half and half and that totally filled me up and satisfied me.

So all in all the only carbs I had at all yesterday were from:

Trace carbs in whipping cream
Carbs in about 1/4 cup of red wine
Small amounts of carbs in coconut milk
Small amounts of carbs in half and half

All in all, I'd say I probably had under 15 grams of carbs and due to the high fat content of my meals I totally was satisfied with that (what a nice departure from Atkins, where I had uncontrollable carb cravings all the time and had to eat 3 of those atkins fake dessert bars a day just to be moderately happy).

Like I said, I'm not going out of my way to avoid carbs, so tonight I very well may change this trend, but for now, I'm happy to see that my body is naturally requiring lower carb amounts!

And its paying off, the scale is back down to 224 today!  HURRAH!

Jbird

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 07:33:18 AM »

That lamb sounds delicious! It's great that you're not missing the carbs. I think it's psychologically important to feel like you could have them if you wanted them, so that you don't feel like you're in a diet strait-jacket. For me, being on any "diet" just makes me rebel against the restrictions. But if I feel like I actually prefer to eat lower carb foods and it's my CHOICE and I'm truly enjoying them, then it seems I can do it. Keeping the insulin response under control has really been helping, and I attribute that to the platinum calories, so I'm just going to keep on keeping on, and this is the first time I've been able to be so consistent, if not perfect. Trying to be perfect is another thing that always backfires! I think we're pretty similar from what I've read in your posts, and I consider your success, my success, so I'm very happy that you're doing so well! J

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »

LOL!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »

yay goblyn!!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »

Todd - how long after the plat-cal (coconut milk tea/coffee)  can you have a meal  to enjoy the benefits of the coconut milk?  and how much in the drink a tablespoon or so??
thanks

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2010, 09:07:55 PM »

Todd - how long after the plat-cal (coconut milk tea/coffee)† can you have a meal† to enjoy the benefits of the coconut milk?† and how much in the drink a tablespoon or so?? thanks
Hi there, nougat.† I'm not sure I know the answer to your question. In general, I think most platinum calories work by raising the level of free fatty acids in the bloodstream, leading to satiety. (By keeping carbs and protein low, you avoid generating insulin that would quickly remove the fatty acids).  One tablespoon of pure CO is enough, so you could use up to 3 tablespoon of coconut milk in your drink, since the CM is about 1/3 oil.†Some people can tolerate more, some people get queasy or nauseated taking too much at once.† It should not take more than 30-60 minutes for that to happen. Mary Enig, in Eat Fat, Lose Fat, claimed that 20 minutes was enough time to wait before eating in order to get good AS.† Also the larger the dose of platiinum calories, the greater should be the AS. (That doesn't always work with SLD calories like SW, but it should be true for oils).

Be careful not to eat too many carbs soon after the platinum calories, or that will counteract the AS. Try experimenting with the time window and let us know what you find. This is somewhat uncharted waters.
Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

TalkingRat

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »

I popped in on Sethís blog the other day to see what was new (a lot, as usual!), and saw the link to the glucose thread.† I decided to try Platinum calories after reading about the glucose-lowering effect of CO.† Maybe thatís why noseclipped CO did not work for me.† I had changed my SLD calories to single dose, first thing in the morning.† The immediate effect of a rapid glucose drop is not hunger, but it catches up to you.

I started Thursday night, mindful of the timing, and in small doses, Clarinette style.† Iím not interested in food until Iíve been up a few hours, but to reduce the chances of a glucose drop, I had oatmeal shortly after waking, and 60-90 minutes later, espresso with 1 tsp. VCO.† Iím having 2-3 cups a day, total 80-120 calories.† I had a mild headache for 5 days, but itís gone today.† I got a headache early on with EVOO, because I lost interest in caffeine when my AS was good.† So needing only 2 cups is good news.

I also tried VCO coffee first thing, it made me jittery, like drinking percolated coffee.† I didnít get the jitters if I had the platinum calories after breakfast, and at least once a day, I feel the flush of a† thermic effect, and shortly after that, a serotonin hit, and all is peaceful.† Afternoon† VCO coffee makes me very calm, lol.

The oil is slower to float if I stick the measuring spoon in the cup before starting the espresso drip. The added benefit is that I still get to enjoy the crema.

The AS is so far, a short term effect, similar to CFF calories, vs. the longer acting AS with ELOO.† With CFF, I used coffee as one of my CFF flavors, and when I had coffee without the CFF, I still got the AS effect.† Same thing here, I just had a plain decaf coffee and it came with extra AS.†
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:55:20 PM by TalkingRat »

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »

Herewith my most recently available (and belated) post-platinum calorie results:

My morning weighings halted on 19 February when, a few minutes before I was about to leave for work, I received a phone call to travel urgently to my parental hometown interstate on account of a family emergency, and I just returned last night after a sudden and unplanned thirteen days' absence.

Given what had to be dealt with while I was away, following any sort of dietary discipline (precious-metal or otherwise) was the least of my worries.† In the days leading up to my sudden departure, my morning scales weight had been stuck on a run of 12 pounds down.† Given the relatively unrestrained and decidedly non-platinum way that I'd been eating while away -- having cake with visiting relatives and friends, having toast spread with full-calorie margarine, consoling myself with chocolate-coated biscuits (cookies), treating myself to the odd double-scoop of fancy icecream at the shopping mall -- I steeled myself for the expected damage when I resumed morning weighings in my own home today.† To my pleasant surprise, my scales weight was still 12 pounds down.† My set point must've settled there.† That's good news.

On the evening of the day of climactic stress during my absence, not having to drive anywhere, I allowed myself the indulgence of four or five wind-down serves of sherry and Grand Marnier.† I normally drink very little and very infrequently -- I don't want the copious no-value alcohol calories -- but I felt that this exceptional occasion warranted some leniency.† I slept poorly that night because I was too hot.† It wasn't an uncomfortably warm night for sleeping; it's just that I was feeling too hot.† It was the same sensation that I've had after eating way too much at an Indian restaurant banquet.† Rather than packing the unaccustomed deluge of alcohol calories away as fat, my metabolism was working hard to burn them off to retain my current set point.† That's good news, too.

Jbird, I'm pleased to see that you arrived back home weighing less.† It's good to know that we sent someone home from Australia in better condition than when we took delivery of them. :)

By the way, how was your experience of Vegemite?† You can be honest. :wink:

Jbird

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 08:37:42 PM »

TT, I've been wondering about your absence and am very sorry to hear you had a family emergency. I am so sorry for what you had to go through, but I'm glad that you were able to maintain your new, improved setpoint! It's good to have you back!!! My honest report on the vegemite: I took your suggestion to spread it thin, and I took my cousin's/host's advice to eat it like his sister does, mixed with a little cream cheese. So first, I spread a little cream cheese on a piece of bread, and then I added some vegemite. It reminded me of a poorly dissolved bouillon cube. I felt pretty neutral about it. It wasn't something I was eager to eat more of, but I don't think it tasted bad at all either. My hosts seemed amused that presented with a table filled with the very best they had to offer me, my one request was vegemite! I hope I wasn't cheating by adding the cream cheese. How do people generally eat it. I did learn that not even all Australians care for it. My host's wife won't touch the stuff. Why do people eat it? Is it considered healthy or do people just enjoy the flavor? I stayed with two families (distant relations of mine) in Melbourne and Sydney and it didn't seem to be part of their diet, though both households had it on hand. I just never noticed anyone actually eating it. Do you eat it? I LOVED your country and am eager to return. Maybe I'll get to Canberra on my next trip!

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 11:54:22 PM »

Jbird, not all Australians -- even those of the standard-issue whitebread variety like myself -- like Vegemite, but I'd say that it's very popular and something that would be found in most Australian households, even, as you found, in households where it's not actually eaten all that much.† I expect that the stand-out exception to Vegemite's popularity would be in dietarily unassimilated households of recent immigrant derivation -- apart from homelands like Britain and New Zealand where there is a tradition of eating similar yeast extract-based pastes.

As far as I'm aware, most people eat Vegemite spread with butter or margarine on bread or toast, or on crackers.† As for eating Vegemite with cream cheese, that must be reasonably popular as well, because Kraft Australia last year introduced a supplementary product of Vegemite blended with cream cheese.

Why do we eat Vegemite?† Because we like it.† I can understand that being difficult to imagine, but I guess it's different if you've grown up with it.† After all, sniffing a jar of Vegemite is reminiscent of sniffing an unwashed empty beer bottle, isn't it?† Putting aside its saltiness, it's also very nutritious.† Yes, I eat Vegemite.† I don't have much of a habit of eating bread or toast at home, but when I get a craving for Vegemite -- and sometimes it's just got to be Vegemite -- I often eat it straight out of the jar off a spoon or off the end of a knife.† I go through 15-20ml of Vegemite in a snacking session when I'm the mood for it.† I like to suck bits of it onto my tongue and roll it around a bit to get the full savoury flavour ... mmm.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 08:14:56 AM »

great that you kept your lower weight in spite of the stress.

so sorry about the family emergency - hope it all been resolved!

Jbird

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »

TT, thanks for enlightening me on all things vegemite! I think one probably has to grow up with it to fully appreciate it, maybe like scrapple here in Philadelphia, which I've never felt tempted to try. Interesting that Kraft has a cream cheese and vegemite mix on the market. I did notice one of my relatives had little packets of Kraft brand vegemite, like individual jelly packets that one would have served with toast for breakfast in a restaurant here in the States. They probably brought it home from a restaurant. It was interesting and somewhat disheartening to see how truly global our American brands and stores are. Sometimes I felt it was hard to find anything that was uniquely Australian. Even the vegemite has been co-opted by Kraft!

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 12:30:53 PM »

Jbird: It was interesting and somewhat disheartening to see [in Australia] how truly global our American brands and stores are.

And Australia has given America Rupert Murdoch in revenge. :D

xtine

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »

That made me laugh! (I'm an Aussie, now in the US 10 years and have yet to persuade my American friends to like vegemite.)
I always stock up on the stuff when I return.  I totally agree that Murdoch is a potent revenge!  :) TT, glad the plat calories are working well for you and I'm sorry to hear of your life disruptions.  Hope things have settled down.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18