Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Platinum Calories check-in

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Platinum Calories check-in  (Read 45135 times)

VeganKitten

Re: Platinum Calories check-in
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 07:26:22 PM »

Lecithin is mainly fat, so I think it's fair to put into a 'platinum' mix. It wouldn't add any carbs.

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 07:42:18 PM »

I agree with Vegan Kitten that lecithin is no problem, it has no carbs or protein.  However, I have found that coconut oil is difficult to emulsify because it tends to solidify when you keep it in the refrigerator.  You can emulsify it with lecithin or with cream and it does not separate at room temperature for several hours, but overnight, it tends to form a waxy skin where it floats to the top. 

But I think I have a solution for you that is great. I have found that whole coconut milk provides an excellent alternative to coconut oil. Actually the main ingredient in coconut milk IS coconut oil. The coconut oil is naturally emulsified in coconut milk and does not separate. It has a luxurious, creamy texure and a mild sweet flavor.  You can add it into coffee or tea and it blends just like dairy cream, with no oily drops. Or you can dilute it with water to create a milk-like drink. You want to buy the "whole" coconut milk in the can, not the "lite" low-fat version. The brand I bought is Thai Kitchen premium unsweetened coconut milk.  In a 1/3 cup serving, it has 14 grams fat, 3 grams carbohydrates, and 1 gram protein.  This is well within the bounds of platinum calories!

You can use coconut milk as a topping with berries, or chill it to thicken it and use it like yogurt, flavored or unflavored.

And, what is more, you can also make "platinum ice cream" by mixing 1 part coconut milk with 2 parts heavy whipping cream.  First whip the unsweetened cream, then fold in the coconut milk, a little erythritol if you want to sweeten, and perhaps some vanilla extract or cocoa powder.  Then chill or freeze:

Don't let it stand too long or it will get hard and start to crystallize, but if you freeze for just the right amount of time, it is indistinguishable from ice cream. (Or if you are sophisticated and have an ice cream maker, you could make a more freeze-stable version).  This ought  to satisfy even the strongest carboholic, while giving great AS!  It is great for those days you just need some dessert, but don't want to get started on a carb binge. And unlike regular ice cream, platinum ice cream actually lowers your blood sugar, so it helps improve insulin sensitivity and protect against diabetes.  (I have proven this on myself using a blood glucose meter: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7511.msg96502#msg96502).  Don't eat too much -- remember that excessive CO makes some people queasy.  But I have found it to be very filling, so your appetite is quickly satisfied. You should probably try a few spoonfuls at a time, maybe with berries or float in your coffee.

By the way, Nougat earlier brought up coconut milk, and I dismissed it without looking carefully. But on looking more closely, she was on to something, so thanks, Nougat.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:02:40 AM by NTB »
Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »

!!!!
wow todd!!!  this is great news!!  coconut milk is readily available and relatively cheap.  and ICECREAM!!!! thats heaven will get some today!!!!!  not the first time i've had tea/coffee with coconut milk!

does it have the same insulin lowering effect as the oil?  or is it less?

thanks
:)  i'm back on plat-cal!!

VeganKitten

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »

There's a brand of vegan "ice cream" made with coconut milk (of course, it has sugar in it too, so that's out for Platinum Calories purposes) ... but it is SUPER DELICIOUS. Rich, decadent, smooth... the best non-dairy ice cream I've ever had.

It might be worth my trying to make it with stevia or erythritol, since I'm eschewing sugar these days.

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »

wow todd!!!  this is great news!!  coconut milk is readily available and relatively cheap.  and ICECREAM!!!! thats heaven will get some today!!!!!  not the first time i've had tea/coffee with coconut milk! does it have the same insulin lowering effect as the oil?  or is it less?

Well I can't say for sure, but the two times I tried it, my blood sugar went down 10-20 mg/dL within an hour.  I presume (but don't know for sure) that this is because it temporarily raises insulin (allowing the liver to remove the excess glucose from the blood stream). But after that short excursion, the stablized lower blood glucose should result in reduced insulin (as long as you don't follow this right away with a high carb or high protein meal, of course).   For me, the AS was just as good as any platinum calorie hot tea drink.

Since this is just a hypothesis, all I can say is try it and see if it works for you.  Individual mileage may vary.
Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

IndianGirl

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »

There's a brand of vegan "ice cream" made with coconut milk (of course, it has sugar in it too, so that's out for Platinum Calories purposes)

You can make it platinum cals if ur scoop size is small (so that total insulinogens per serving are lesser than 20 grams). So, maybe have a small scoop mid-morning with 1 hour before and after, and have another small scoop mid-afternoon with 1 hour before and after.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 01:32:16 AM »

I'm throwing in the platinum towel.  I'm definitely fatter and had to go looking for "bigger " clothes at the back of the closet. This ends right here right now!!  :x
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 01:35:04 AM »

:D

well
i whipped a can of nestle cream (170gr) and a small can of cocnut milk (165gr)  and 2 tsps of cocoa.  no sugar or sweetener.

i put in in the freezer but after half an hour i ate 3 tsps of it even tho it hadn't frozen yet.  i can't say i have AS  but to be honest at this point i am most interested in getting my blood sugar down cos the last time i tried it it was very slightly raised - and i want to avoid having to have medication.
its also nice to have something yummy that i can eat without feeling guilty.
the best AS i get from being very busy or absorbed in something interesting (not surfing or watching tv tho! :D)

but just to try the AS theory i'll just nip over and try it again :D :D :D

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »

oh pink that sucks!!!  i'm rather wary of the cream  but i'll see how it goes....

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 05:44:11 AM »

OHHHHHHH SNAP!!!!!  (LOL!)

I am so excited to hear about coconut milk.  I friggin' love CM!  And its so cheap (compared to EVCO)!  I could quite easily live with having CM based desserts that I make myself.  Does gelatin have any protein or carbs?  I'm thinking you could make a custard type dish out of CM, gelatin, and stevia.  Mmmm.....

Anyways, I've been finding that I could LIVE off of platinum coffee.  Both Saturday and Sunday I found myself unable to bring myself to eat anything other than platinum coffee, but I did still eat because the BF was hungry.  On Friday it was around 10 pm and I still hadn't had anything other than platinum coffee and freaked out that I wasn't being healthy (and becasue I wasn't hungry, I know, its strange, but it was shocking to me and I couldn't fathom not being hungry) and made myself eat a bowl of leftover pasta, which was stupid, I know, but hey, I was worried!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »

:(
i ate it all.  in one go.  and no AS.... i was hungry all day.  then had a meal of chicken greek yogurt  and blueberries and i feel really full now.  i'll just have a cuppa this evening)
i'll continue having CM for the blood sugar lowering properties but i'm staying away from too much cream....

Heidi 555

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »

Yesterday I ended up skipping dinner so essentially just ate one large meal plus platinum calories.

Day 3 platinum calories: I took my coconut oil and cream with nose clips at 11:00 AM.  Then I exercised for 1.5 hours.  I was somewhat light headed during my exercise.  Then I ate a good nose clipped lunch.  But at 3:30 I was hungry and had a snack. 

For me the platinum calories are going well, but I'm not sure if it is better or different from doing straight SLD.  Also, especially when I exercise, my body craves protein.  I wonder if protein + fat would ultimately be more effective for me. 

I think that the headache that I had yesterday might have been more from AS than the oil.  I had a similar queasy headachy feeling after I ate my meal.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 08:59:10 PM »

i've woken up feeling a bit headachey...
previous attempts with cream had  no effect.  when i eat protein as in  'protein power' i feel better.  cutting carbs really helps control cravings.  i'm still going to have coconut milk in tea/coffee but i'm dropping the cream.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 06:31:05 AM »

One kg down today... I had some forced fasting yesterday - coffee and an apple till 7 p.m. because of an overload of errands going wrong. Funny that while I was starving by 4 or 5 p.m. , the starving feeling went away and I got away with a couple toasted slices of bread in the evening. And CO under my tongue (pleasant dessert!)

This a.m. I dissolved whey protein powder (chocolate flavor - sweetened with fructose - practically no carbs) in hot water and added a tsp CO. By 12 noon I was unusually hungry and had a slight headache.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 06:51:19 AM »

I posted this in my own thread, but last night I had a very interesting thing happen, when I went to make supper, the thought of a carb-y side dish did NOT appeal to me at all, so I had steak, broccoli and mushrooms, and was quite satisfied with that.  I had some rye crisp breads as a snack though later on in the evening, but this was nothing compared to the carbs I usually eat during the day.

So I don't know if this will be an ongoing phenomena, or if it was a one time deal, but I think its pretty interesting, if it lasts, it will make low carb transitioning super easy!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18