Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Platinum Calories check-in

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Platinum Calories check-in  (Read 43640 times)

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
Re: Platinum Calories check-in
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 05:02:42 PM »

Here's what's been happening weightwise in my world over the past six weeks:

The past week has been a bit of a flat spot.  However, seeing I hit an exceptional scales-weight low of 14 pounds down during the week, I take that as an advance sign that I will revisiting that territory more often in the not too distant future.

As a test of the effectiveness of platinum calories, results presented here cannot be fairly compared with my initial weight-loss performance over (southern) spring-summer of 2006-2007.  I was altogether more austere in my pursuit of weight loss that first time around.  This time around, I'm just back for some remedial work to clear some unwanted weight collected mainly during the colder months of last year, and I'm taking things in a markedly more relaxed frame of mind.  I've already met my goal of fitting comfortably again in my benchmark 82cm/32in-waist jeans -- in fact, the pair that I've been wearing for the past week have been getting a bit loose, and I had to put a belt on them again to reduce hitching them up during the day.

I've been starting each day with a platinum coffee, and packing a platinum snack for work.  On some days, that snack has been EVCO (15ml) and double cream (15ml) mixed together in a small container.  I don't thnk that would go too well with the tea that I've been drinking at work, so I eat it as a very rich-tasting afternoon snack.  On other days, I make up a platinum drink to take during the afternoon: EVCO (15ml), canola (15ml) and undiluted cordial (~15ml) in a little 50ml plastic bottle with a securely screwable cap.  The virtually calorie-free cordial is rated by its maker as 0g carbs and 0g protein for quantities at least three times greater than what I'm using, so it's well and truly platinum-compatible.

I have a range of flavouring essences in my pantry, and the 50ml bottle is one of the empty essence bottles that I kept because I thought they might come in handy one day.  After I made up my first EVCO/canola/cordial drink in one of those empty bottles taken randomly from the cupboard, I happened to glance at the label on the bottle, and noticed that the flavour of the essence previously contained therein was ... coconut. :)

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 04:48:12 AM »

Goblyn, I've just been to the supermarket, and while I was in the dairy section picking up a couple of containers of double cream, I noticed some shallow tubs of creme fraiche nearby, so I bought one of those too out of curiosity.

Here are the respective manufacturers' ratings of the two brands of double cream that I've had, together with the ratings of two brands of creme fraiche (one of which I've just bought, and the other of which is from the same maker as one of the double creams).  They're not standardised on the same serving size, because two of the manufacturers specify the serving size by volume, and the other specifies it by weight:

Double cream, brand A: 16.5g fat, 0.6g carbohydrate, 0.5g protein
Double cream, brand B: 15.5g fat, 1.3g carbohydrate, 0.6g protein
Creme fraiche, brand B: 41.8g fat, 2.3g carbohydrate, 3.2g protein
Creme fraiche, brand C: 18.5g fat, 1.5g carbohydrate, 1.1g protein

However, the thing that matters is the ratio of wanted non-insulinogenic content (fat) to unwanted insulinogenic content (carbs and protein).  Here's what I get if we standardise the three specifications against 100g of fat:

Double cream, brand A: 3.64g carbohydrate, 3.03g protein
Double cream, brand B: 8.39g carbohydrate, 3.87g protein
Creme fraiche, brand B: 5.50g carbohydrate, 7.66g protein
Creme fraiche, brand C: 8.11g carbohydrate, 5.95g protein

So, while brand A double cream will obviously be my preference, there isn't really all that much practical difference between the brand B double cream (from a somewhat boutique manufacturer) and the two brands of creme fraiche.  One creme fraiche has a little less carbohydrate and a little more protein than brand B double cream, and the other creme fraiche has significantly less carbohydrate and significantly more protein.  It's a matter of swings and roundabouts.

The creme fraiche seems to me to be a little less solid than double cream, and double cream doesn't have the sour note of creme fraiche.

So, if your creme fraiche has a fat-to-carbs/protein ratio similar to ours, then you're not missing out on much if you can't get your hands on some double cream -- plus, I gather that you're very partial to creme fraiche. :)  I don't know how the sour note of creme fraiche would go in platinum coffee, though.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 06:51:24 AM »

Well I picked up both some creme fraiche and clotted cream yesterday, whew, i forgot how expensive they both are.  Both are delicious though (just like I recall) and you're right the creme fraiche is cultured and has a sour/sweet taste like mild sour cream or yogurt.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 06:56:10 AM »

Got my EVCO finally last Saturday.
You should have warned me that stuff spread on bread is delicious!  :D
Anyway as platinum calories no luck yet. Had a platinum tea that day, platinum cocoa yesterday and platinum coffee today. It's delicious but no AS.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

shovelqueen

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 02:15:44 PM »

A cautionary tale, copied from my own thread.  Kirk has had the exact same experience, as he mentioned on my thread.

An interesting thing happened on Wed.  I had mixed up a couple of tbsp of EVCO with cocoa and stevia, and was going to use it for a platinum afternoon snack.  First time I ate pure coconut oil calories.  It was delicious, like eating icing out of the jar.  But within half an hour, I had the beginnings of a headache, and nausea that just got worse as the afternoon wore on.  When I got home from work, I ate a bunch of stuff to try and get feeling better, but it didn't help.  I lost most of the evening to laying on the couch feeling like crap.  So I was put off the EVCO a bit.  Now I know that I can handle it fine when combined with calories from the whipping cream, but I guess straight up wasn't the ticket for me.  At least not in that quantity.  I had taken about 2 tbsp, figuring that I didn't have the WC calories to add to it, like I would if I was making platinum cocoa.  According to Todd's blood sugar experiments, it could have been a hypoglycemic response to the CO.  Whatever, it wasn't fun.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »

My weekend got totally messed up, so I didn't make it out to get some VCO for platinum calories.  And my AS suffered.  I'm about to get back on the wagon, and will have to make it a priority to get some before the coming weekend.  On Friday, I had a really nasty experience with my platinum calories.  I normally just brew some herbal tea in a travel mug using water straight from the hot water source at the drinking fountain.  It's usually hot enough to brew the tea and melt the VCO.  Friday, I didn't notice it was lukewarm at best, and I ended up drinking really yukky platinum calories.  I hope it won't put me off of today's dose.  Wish me luck!

T-Vix

Polyglot

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »

I'd like to try the Platinum Cocoa, but I'm worried because as I understand it from reading the science thread, whatever flavor you choose to "go platinum" cannot ever be consumed in other caloric contexts.  I like to have a small quantity of dark chocolate every once in a while, and I don't think I'd be allowed to anymore if it'll mess up my Platinum Cocoa.

Reading the requirements, I almost think that avocados would qualify as being high enough in fat and low enough in protein/carbohydrates.
Check it out:  http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1843/2     (You can use the drop-down to adjust serving size as well.)

What do you guys think?

goblyn

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 09:42:15 AM »

I think that the addition of VCO with the cocoa (especially if you leave it more or less bitter, without too much sweetener) is enough of a flavor change to make it okay to consume similar flavors.  After all some of us still drink regular coffee as well as platinum coffee.  I believe avocados were mentioned as being good for platinum calorie snacking.

I'm doing an experiment today, I don't have to worry about feeding the bf, so I'm thinking of trying an all platinum calorie day, having an avocado for supper, with some berries w/ clotted cream for a snack and platinum decaf coffee for beverages.  I just want to see what, if any, changes i notice.  What do you all think?

goblyn

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 05:47:22 AM »

Well I hope the anticipation of finding out how I did last night on all platinum calories was too stressful for anyone, especially since it never happened.  I got home and wasn't particuarly hungry so I did some housework and whatnot (we're preparing to move in a few weeks and so that's keeping us busy).  So when I finally did eat again, I totally forgot about my plan, and made myself some leftover chicken and whole wheat pasta I had made the day before.  Oh well.  I did realize my mistake afterwards and so I kept the evening snacks on the platinum side:  olives, some clotted cream (just on a small spoon) and a cup of decaf coffee.  I forget what we decided about peanut butter, is it platinum or no because it has too much carb and protein content, right?  Cuz I had some of that too, just a small spoon ful.

All in all not too terrible, though I can tell that the olives were a bit of mistake as I'm super thirsty today and that is usually indicitive of too much sodium.

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »

I really think the platinum calories helped me get back on the wagon after my small Valentine's Day carb bender.  It was surprisingly easy to just slide back in where I left off.  And I'm down another 2.2 pounds so far this week.  I can tell it's coming off my belly, which is exactly what I'm focused on.  In addition to the platinum calories, I'm doing part safflower oil for my SLD dose, and I've cut out nearly all sugar.  I think the combination is working extremely well.  My AS is so good, I'm actually using a headachy queasy feeling as my cue to eat.  I still get hungry in the morning, but that's it.  Yay for Platinum Calories!

T-Vix

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »

Good job Goblyn and Tek!! I haven't great results to report, but on Carnaval day I ate and drank too much (preparing for Lent LOL) and yesterday was too nauseated to think of oils.
However, today my breakfast was one avocado, two ounces of cheese and a handful of nuts. Five hours later by lunch time I wasn't "lunch hungry" and got away with steamed fish eggs, carrots and broccoli. Still Ok now (tea time).
maybe it's a matter of time and it's bound to work one day?
I wish, as my scale is up up up - almost like 4 years ago when I started SLD (4 years!!! OMG!)

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Heidi 555

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »

So I did my first trial of platinum calories today.  I waited until I was hungry and would have eaten my first meal of the day.  Then I had about a teas. of coconut oil mixed with a few larger spoonfuls of heavy cream and a bit of stevia.  It took away my hunger and I hula hooped for an hour, but then I needed more fuel to keep exercising.  So I did a second hit of coconut oil and cream but this time I skipped the stevia.  My second dose made me queasy so I took a digestive enzyme.  (Also I nose clipped both doses.  The burps from this combo weren't pleasant.)  Then I exercised for another hour or more.  Then I was really hungry again and had a nose clipped lunch around 1:00.  So I'm not sure if this worked or not.  Definitely there was some AS but I wasn't able to go very long without refueling.  I think when I eat fat and protein I have more energy.  I'll give it more tries before coming to any conclusions.  Someone I know is going to lend me a blood glucose monitor.  It will be interesting to have that to experiment with.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Polyglot

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 11:37:42 AM »

When I initially started SLD I was having a lot of trouble because my energy was down, but this is working much better for me.

I am much more likely to get platinum calories in daily because where I dread gulping down tablespoons of ELOO, I love eating avocados or my EVCO/cocoa powder/Splenda mix.  I find I get *much* better AS this way as well.

No results as far as weight loss, but at least I don't experience the post-overeating self-loathing.

Heidi 555

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »

Platinum Day 2.  Had about 1.5 teas. coconut oil plus 2-3 spoonfuls of cream mixed into a bit of a roasted grain beverage around 11:30.  I took it without nose clips.  Then I felt like I needed a bit more so I took cream in plain hot water.  I didn't feel like eating but I also got a headache and didn't feel well from the dose.  The headache went away when my appetite came back.  Then I ate a very large nose clipped meal at 3:30.  I didn't exercise but I was busy and preoccupied after my dose. 
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Ratty

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 02:44:58 PM »

Hi,

I have been getting great AS adding xylitol and coconut milk to my tea or coffee a couple of times a day. But one thing that isn't clear to me is whether the effect of platinum calories is time bound (so you get AS for so many hours) or is it cumulative, like oil is supposed to be (can't draw on my own experience - oil never really worked for me). It feels to me like it is a temporary effect and taking it at the end of the day would be pointless.

I ask because having taken so long (nearly 3 years!) to experience reliable, consistant AS and using it to eat only once a day, the next hurdle is not mindlessly eating at dinner time! Having a platinum drink before leaving work seems to help and I am wondering about the merits of having one before bed, to build up more AS the following day.

I am also wondering whether making a coconut oil drink based on "Todds milk" would qualify as platinum calories or would the Lethecin somehow reduce the effect of the platinum-ness.

Ratty
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18