Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
already lost weight - from 220 to 167, now 175[*] problem is

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: already lost weight - from 220 to 167, now 175[*] problem is  (Read 14353 times)

bleeding

update: high carb, intermittent fasting, low fat
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 10:10:26 PM »

de-lurking for an update (because the results look permanent now; didn't want to post tentative results) :

I have had 2 binges in the last 6 months and cut both short after one big meal.  In the past the binge would last a week.

I've kept my 60 pound loss off for ~4 years now.  

I stopped doing any active Shangri La diet techniques for seems like more than a year because I
1. stopped eating almost all processed food (protein powders being the only exception)
2. cook for myself all the time.  since boiling is the zenith of my cooking ability I just toss ingredients together (mostly a chopped/cubed lean  meat plus a bunch of spices and some filler like an egg or tomato paste, onions, ginger, garlic ... standard stuff)

With the protein powder I got a bunch of different flavours and mix up different amounts each time.

So I'm having near zero ditto foods, and weird-spicing (not crazy spicing) most of my caloric intake.  IMHO this is probably why I've rarely binged and the binges were short lived.

I've gone from a previous low carb,  high fat high protein diet to a medium carb, medium protein, currently low fat diet.  Adding a small amount of carbs to the old high fat diet used to put weight on me fast.  

I finally bit the bullet,  went whole hog and
 cut out as much fat as possible and replaced it with carbohydrates (potato, whole fruit, white rice - no liquid calories, no juices or colas, no grains).  I've been maintaining since then, not changing anything to see if "damaged metabolism" stuff happens to me before I try any other changes.  

Typing this up, I realized that in the last year  I have
1.  not had any bacon (I used to have at least a pound per week)
2. had 2  steaks (used to be 2 per day, several times per week at one time, when I believed "zero carb means infinite calories lost as ketonuria")
3. a dozen eggs per month at most

I tried intermittent fasting (IF) before as a compliance / adherence technique and a week into it I started losing strength.   I raised the calories to maintenance but kept losing strength, so that first IF experiment was a bust.

I tried it again starting 9 months ago, this time with the same (maintenance) calories, but (as noted above) much reduced fat, the same protein and a lot more carbohydrates.   I didn't lose strength this time (I'm just doing enough lifting to maintain strength right now).  

I haven't changed anything for a while, just to establish a "known base" to work from.  I hope I've got a good grasp on this whole thing now, having lost weight and maintained it by counting calories on high fat/low carb and on  high carb/low fat,  used all kinds of techniques to stay in control of hunger and other eating triggers.

I'm now ready to start really crazy-spicing a lot more of my calories.    I might even see a 6 pack some day (without manscaping my torso hair to look like a topiary 6 pack)

bleeding

Re: already lost weight - from 220 to 167, now 175[*] problem is
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »

one experiment I still need to do: balance out the fat and carbohydrate.  this one combination seems pretty bad for me - it seems to initiate binges

I want to do the crazy spicing first to find out if it will be a good tool

shovelqueen

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 04:58:08 AM »

Nice to see you, Bleeding!  What a great post - so interesting to see your progression of dietary strategies.  I've moved toward the more primal approach too, but find I'm at my best with non-grain carbs in moderation, too.  I've also played around with adding juicing to my diet and with taking out dairy.  Never had any luck with IF. It's all one big experiment, isn't it?

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Brenda324

• My SLD Page on This Forum w/ My Tracking Info
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 05:04:51 AM »

Yeah, I too find that lots of self-experimentation and trial-and-error is necessary.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18