Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
already lost weight - from 220 to 167, now 175[*] problem is

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: already lost weight - from 220 to 167, now 175[*] problem is  (Read 12811 times)

bleeding

already lost weight - from 220 to 167, now 175[*] problem is
« on: January 18, 2010, 08:33:44 PM »

I lost the weight using a high protein high fat diet (lots of beef, chicken, cottage cheese, and various protein powders) , and counting calories.

I've tried now in the last year to get back to normal eating, switching from the diet that got me where I am - near zero carb to adding some reasonable amount of carbs.  While dietary carbohydrate is not essential as the body can turn a little fat & a lot of protein into glucose,  I'm pretty sure the optimal human diet has at least a little dietary carbohydrate. 

Every time I try to add the carbohydrates though my hunger goes haywire & I just eat and eat and eat.  I then have to go back on near zero carbohydrates to lose the 5 or 10 new pounds. 

Tomorrow, Jan 20 I start SLD.  Getting some nose clips and lots of cottage cheese. 

The plan is to eat 500 to 1000 calories of CC before eating anything else.  The measuring should be easy as there are 500 gram packs of relatively taste-free, very low fat compressed cottage cheese sold hereabouts.  2 per day is 900 calories.

Maybe I won't want to eat anyting after that, so I'll be in the same situation as I am now - zero dietary carb.   But hopefully my appetite will be reduced & I can eat a reasonble amount of carbs & fat the rest of the day.

the note on the 175
  • - I think the scale has become inaccurate but don't want to get a new one ... more important things to spend my money on. 

shovelqueen

Re: already lost weight - from 220 to 167, now 175[*] problem is
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:59:59 AM »

What kind of carbs are you adding?  If they are really low-glycemic carbs, they shouldn't prompt the insulin spike that leads to the hunger and cravings.  Or perhaps whatever type of carb you are adding (ie wheat) is one that you personally are intolerant to. 

I'd start with vegetables, both the low cal type and the starchy type (meaning yams, carrots, turnips, peas).  Wait a bit before trying corn or potatos, just because of the higher glycemic response. And stay away from anything processed (cookies, crackers, twinkies, etc.)

Welcome and good luck to you!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:00:57 AM »

This has absolutely no bearing in scientific fact at all, so don't blame me if it goes wrong, but what if you noseclipped the carbs you do eat?  Perhaps the act of making them flavor free will prevent at least psychologically any hunger spike.

bleeding

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:04:46 PM »

What kind of carbs are you adding?  If they are really low-glycemic carbs, they shouldn't prompt the insulin spike that leads to the hunger and cravings.  Or perhaps whatever type of carb you are adding (ie wheat) is one that you personally are intolerant to. 

I'd start with vegetables, both the low cal type and the starchy type (meaning yams, carrots, turnips, peas).  Wait a bit before trying corn or potatos, just because of the higher glycemic response. And stay away from anything processed (cookies, crackers, twinkies, etc.)

Welcome and good luck to you!

Thanks.

so far I tried all carbohydrates - potato, rice, wheat (breads/pastas/pitas/roti/bagels), fruit, vegetables.  Yes, including lots of sweets.  Some ice cream.

Next time I'm below 170  my plan is to try adding potato and yam only, minimal processed sweets, and when I add sweetener, only straight dextrose - very little fructose & sucrose (as I've had liver problems before, I'm avoiding everything that stresses the liver, including polyunsaturated fats & fructose).  I haven't deciced about artificial sweeteners yet.

bleeding

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:06:07 PM »

No, I just found out about SLD a couple of days ago.  It will be something to try next time I add the carbs.

This has absolutely no bearing in scientific fact at all, so don't blame me if it goes wrong, but what if you noseclipped the carbs you do eat?  Perhaps the act of making them flavor free will prevent at least psychologically any hunger spike.

Phoebe

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:29 AM »

Congratulations on your weight loss and welcome to the forum.  I have problems with carbohydrates, too, so I'll look forward to hearing about your experiments and how they work out for you.  Good luck!

bleeding

2 weeks in
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 10:54:59 AM »

I did not want to eat completely empty calories so I began by trying to find flavour free cottage cheese.

I found none (tried around 12 types, including Lithuanian and Polish varieties available locally) that were completely flavour free so settled on the one that seems to have the least flavour.

I also started eating everything I could noseclipped. 

I find that with the nose clips in place the action of eating sucks stuff into my sinuses so I've given up on the nose clipping. 

I can, however, voluntarily close the rear passage to the sinuses.  This way I could theoretically "noseclip" 100%, as long as I don't have to speak during the meal.  Everything I eat alone I NC.

The flavour from fatty meats (beef & bacon) sticks around for me for half an hour at least, so for at least a half hour after I eat these I'm a  mouth-breather.

progress:

I have been eating 500 to 1500 calories per day, averaging 1000. 
I have definitely felt physical hunger sensations, so SLD for now is not taking away the hunger. 
I do seem to be managing the hunger better.   Some of this could just be from the novelty of new techniques.  Like Steven M wirtes, any diet can "work" for a couple of weeks.

I have lost a little fat.  The veins on my upper chest are showing up a bit, the veins on my arms seem more prominent.

I had one "binge" couple of days ago, but unlike past "binges" I did not have a huge amount of the usual fatty, sugary high-calorie foods.  I stuck to some starchy sweets.  I think total for the day was 1000 calories - with past binges, the total for the day would have been 3000 to 4000. 

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:58 PM »

Do you actually want people to see your veins?  I can understand wanting to lose weight or body fat, but I'll never understand the allure of veins.  Unless you want to attract vampires... :lol:

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »

feeling hunger a couple times a day is normal

feeling ravenous all the time is not normal at all
thinking about food all the live long day is not normal either

for me, SLD quiets all of the background noise, so that I can deal with the normal hunger like thin people do.

So, feeling hunger at normal intervals is very possible on SLD.  And very "normal" for me. 
(as far as "normal" and me go together HAHAH  8) )
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

August

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 02:59:47 PM »

Bleeding,

I've found it necessary to stay pretty near the low end of carbohydrate intake, with the bulk of the carbs I do eat coming from fruits, vegetables, and the occasional indulgence (but I can usually find something sweet and paleolithic).  Grains ramp hunger up too high. 
I've noticed an increase in hunger along with the introduction of whey protein in my diet, which is consistent with what I've heard from the paleo-diet community.

Just wait Goblin.  Veins are fun!  Especially when they show up in places where you never realized they were before.  Not so much about attracting anyone, at least for me, just more about standing in front of the mirror feeling pretty amazed!

bleeding

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »

You did catch my screen name, right?    Hard to do do that without veins.  I'm male & no, don't need cranberry juice every couple of weeks.

Do you actually want people to see your veins?  I can understand wanting to lose weight or body fat, but I'll never understand the allure of veins.  Unless you want to attract vampires... :lol:

I don't weigh myself so I'm just looking for other indicators   

On the more practical side, when donating blood it helps if the phlebotomist doesn't need to stab you 20 times   

Bleeding,

I've found it necessary to stay pretty near the low end of carbohydrate intake

Me too - actually I seem more sensitive than you.   I've tried various fruits - fresh stuff like  apples, oranges & bananas, and various others - raisins, dates, and so on ... for me fruit seems to stoke my binges as much as grains.  

I'll probably never again have a lot of carbs, but I do think a little would be good, if only I could get them without losing control.

I'm near zero carb most days now (with the very rare exception noted above)

my plan to find a reasonable level and type of carbs is, next time I'm at my desired weight I'll introduce only one type at a time,   starting with potato, and not introducing any more for at least 2 or 3 months, to establish whether it's working.

feeling hunger a couple times a day is normal

Thanks for the input, that's what I'm hoping is happening with me.   the hunger sensation is the same but it feels like I'm more in control.  Won't know for sure that that's exactly what's happening (or I'm just feeling a temporary rush from this diet's new-ness) until it lasts for a couple of months.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:52:47 PM by bleeding »

bleeding

more than 3 weeks in
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:55 PM »

I'm maintaining weight, without worrying too much about it.    I still want to lose some belly fat but I'm OK with just maintaining for a while. 

Actually,   in my weightlifting I am lifting a little bit more every week so I know even if my weight is not changing I AM in some sense progressing.   

Appetite's  under control,   1st meal every day noseclipped,  most days first 2 meals NC'd (2 meals most days, so it's basically all noseclipped), and it's mostly low to zero carb.

I'm still trying to figure out how to COOK noseclipped.   this requires being nose clipped for half an hour at least.  If I'm doing the cottage cheese it's no problem, but if I'm eating some beef that day (there's some very cheap pre-measured ground beef that's exactly 900 calories, If I have that for one day I know exactly what I've eaten) I may not be properly nose clipping, as I smell the cooking beef at some point)

I'm eating 4 or more meals on the hardest workout day, and include some carbs that day (to get the muscle building effects of insulin) 

all tests from my yearly checkup came back OK (the blood was taken before I started SLD, I just had to delay the appointment where the doc read me the results)

low (but not too low to be bad) blood pressure as per usual
normal to low cholesterol
normal to low triglycerides
kidney, liver, etc ... all good

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »

so good that you're doing well and your tests came back great!

bleeding

3 month update
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »

Still lurking, folks.

I noseclip occasionally & if I lose control I'll return to noseclipping a lot.

During the time I did a lot of SLD I added back a bunch of carbohydrates without the old habit of sweet consumption spiraling out of control - these days carbohydrates are optional - I have none for a few days, sometimes 4 or 5 fruits per day,  occasionally some ice cream, and rarely just a regular burger with bun and fries.

I cheat occasionally - I've gained & lost 3 to 5 pounds 2 times now, but unlike in past years I don't use a single cheat as an excuse to abandon the diet.   

The SLD experience was the turning point - I've had a couple of hour carb binges but none of the extended 2 or 3 day ones I used to do.   Since I'm not doing a lot of SLD at the moment (just the occasional noseclipping) I don't know who or what to blame for what seems to be either increased control, or reduced cravings. 

I'm around 160 lb -  but mostly I'm  maintaining weight and gaining strength from my weightlifting.

Pretty good result - I don't want to put on any fat mass,
I don't want to put on a lot of muscle mass (a little wouldn't hurt),
 but I do want to get stronger.   

I just deadlifted 295 pounds, strongest I've ever been in my life - I'm lifting more than I did when I weighed 60 pounds more.

I just started experimenting with one meal per day.  It looks like this makes it easier to say "no".   There's so much less leeway to fudge & cheat.  If it's not in the one meal, don't have it.  Hard & fast rule.   I can occasionally go a day or 2 with 600 calories, mostly protein with some fat.

I don't go a whole day without food for fear of strength loss.  I've been working hard to gain that strength, I'm NOT going to throw it away easily.

TalkingRat

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 08:48:09 AM »

Bleeding, great progress report!  It sounds like you have a winning combination.  I think protein is key to being able to eat carbs without runaway appetite.  And congratulations on your strength improvements!    8)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18