Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
slow weight loss

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: slow weight loss  (Read 2791 times)

siren

slow weight loss
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:13:05 AM »

Dear Friends

It is so wonderful to be a part of this community!

I have been on SLD for 2 weeks now. Since I have been in the midst of many changes so far- changing country, culture, home, work and routine, I decided to take it easy and merely add taking a tbsp of oil (canola) twice a day between lunch and dinner. What has happened so far is that AS has kicked in but not to the extent that it has for other people. I think this is probably because I am hypoglycemic and have yet to cut down on my sugar and caffeine. As it happens I would like to lose 20 pounds (currently 5"4 and 140 pounds) to be my ideal weight and I have only lost a pound to date.

However, I refuse to be discouraged! I read somewhere on this forum that SLD works better if you inculcate a diet and exercise plan. So for the new year I have signed up for thrice a week Ashtanga Yoga classes and intend to cut down on my white sugar/coffee intake. Truth is that I have been 'suffering' from stress, these past few years which has manifested itself in severe hairfall and weight gain so I figure that doing some de-stressing activities like yoga, cutting down on caffeine, alcohol, keeping regular diet and sleep patterns and just breathing better should help.  

The other thing is that I really love food and eating and find that when I am not eating on the go but instead cooking wonderful meals and really savoring 'real' food with a sense of joie de vivre, life seems rosier. Perhaps I need to also be cultivating the more sensual aspects of dining but baby steps first.

Anyways, just wanted to drop a quick update and wish you all a happy, happy new year!  :P

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: slow weight loss
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »

When you have less to lose, it is likely that your "set point" is higher than your current weight (which is why some people who are skinny already have to struggle to stay skinny by constant diet and exercise), so it will take longer to lower your set point and thus begin to lose more rapidly.  Also, for whatever reason, when you have less to lose, it is just plain harder to do SLD, the weight comes off more slowly than it does for those of us with a good deal more to lose.

But you've already lost a lb, which is pretty good already!  SLD isn't about dropping 20 lbs overnight, but rather about slowly and steadily changing your set point and body dynamics to allow yourself to comfortably lose and then maintain your weight.

So it sounds like you're doing pretty well as it is!  If you're worried about AS (you say its not as good as you want it to be), maybe you can increase your oil intake, that usually works.  There are several theories floating around that when you are closer to your goal, that you need to take more flavor free calories than you would have if you were heavier.

But all in all it sounds like you're doing well.

Welcome to the boards!

Phoebe

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »

Hi Siren, and welcome!  I noticed that you have about the same height, current weight, and goal weight as Heidi did when she started SLD.  She lost the twenty pounds in about a year through noseclipping.  Have you thought about trying that?

siren

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 06:32:35 AM »

Hi Goblyn- Thank you so much for your comments. I find your thread very inspirational :) I was going by Karkys estimate and so have been consuming 2 tbsps oil but I am going to try to jack it up to 3 tbsps from tomorrow to see how this goes. Initially I had an upset tummy and salt/sugar cravings but now all of that seems to have settled down. I guess I just need to stop eating- a lot of this is habit, eating in front of the TV, not to mention eating on the run. So I am going to try the oil with 3 balanced meals, eaten slowly and savored as well as yoga thrice a week.

Dear Phoebe- I will definitely check out Heidi's thread. Hmmm nose clipping sounds interesting- I am going to read up about it right away. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18