sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I have tried SLD for a week, and for the first time in about 15 years i am not hungry at the end of the day.  What a gift! -- kathy

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calories Burned by Bacteria in the Gut  (Read 2675 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Calories Burned by Bacteria in the Gut
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:16:49 am »

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-bacteria-gut-b365409?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_20091208&utm_term=continue1

thou i'm not very fond of rat studies and this article doesn't add much to the million dollar Q but it's nice to know we chubbies have (firmi)cute bacteria in our guts  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: Calories Burned by Bacteria in the Gut
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:51:48 am »

There was recently an article on yahoo about a new study that found that naturally "skinny" people had higher amounts of good bacteria in their guts, while overweight people had very limited amounts.  Not a direct link between probiotics and weight gain or loss, but its encouraging.

Phoebe

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:41:01 am »

naturally "skinny" people had higher amounts of good bacteria in their guts, while overweight people had very limited amounts

That's enough to make me want to break out the kefir.  I wonder if the kombucha makers on this forum have noticed any positive difference in weight loss from drinking kombucha?

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 01:16:55 pm »

Well I know for sure that kombucha kills my appetite.  So I'm sure if I drank it more regularly (I can never remember to drink it...I make it, and then don't do anything with it...sigh), I'd find a direct relation between the AS and weight loss, but I can't say for sure that it would be the good bacteria causing weight loss.

Phoebe

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:40:22 pm »

I'm afraid to make my own kombucha because I'm convinced I'll screw it up and it will come out toxic.  I buy the kombucha they sell at Whole Foods sometimes.  Grape and strawberry are my favorites, but they definitely don't kill my appetite. :(

VeganKitten

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:52:09 pm »

I think it's pretty difficult to get a toxic result. That said, it's also difficult to get a result as delicious (at least to me) as the store-bought kind.  :lol:

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:15:32 pm »

i would not trust myself not to screw it up big time....
also 'kombucha'  has not been heard of here - i only learnt about it from you guys!!

falconcy

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:42:37 pm »

I think I'll stick to kefir and ayrani - both pretty similar. There's also my favorite mango lassi, my version consists of greek yogurt, fresh mango and ground cardamom seeds thrown in a blender smoothie style - delicious I guess that would work with other fruits too.
A legend in his own lunch hour
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18