sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The other great benefit I've seen [from SLD], the thing that makes it worth chugging my mix of oil and water twice a day in and of itself, is the change I've felt in my attitude toward myself. I no longer feel disordered and tortured and ashamed. I no longer feel that I'm daily failing at something that so many people seem to find so easy and effortless. Now this thing I've fought with my whole life has become so much easier, so very nearly effortless for me as well. It turns out it wasn't a fundamental failure of my essential being after all. Who'd have guessed? -- Daffodil-11

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calories Burned by Bacteria in the Gut  (Read 2677 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Calories Burned by Bacteria in the Gut
« on: December 09, 2009, 03:16:49 am »

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-bacteria-gut-b365409?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_20091208&utm_term=continue1

thou i'm not very fond of rat studies and this article doesn't add much to the million dollar Q but it's nice to know we chubbies have (firmi)cute bacteria in our guts  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: Calories Burned by Bacteria in the Gut
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:51:48 am »

There was recently an article on yahoo about a new study that found that naturally "skinny" people had higher amounts of good bacteria in their guts, while overweight people had very limited amounts.  Not a direct link between probiotics and weight gain or loss, but its encouraging.

Phoebe

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:41:01 am »

naturally "skinny" people had higher amounts of good bacteria in their guts, while overweight people had very limited amounts

That's enough to make me want to break out the kefir.  I wonder if the kombucha makers on this forum have noticed any positive difference in weight loss from drinking kombucha?

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 01:16:55 pm »

Well I know for sure that kombucha kills my appetite.  So I'm sure if I drank it more regularly (I can never remember to drink it...I make it, and then don't do anything with it...sigh), I'd find a direct relation between the AS and weight loss, but I can't say for sure that it would be the good bacteria causing weight loss.

Phoebe

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 05:40:22 pm »

I'm afraid to make my own kombucha because I'm convinced I'll screw it up and it will come out toxic.  I buy the kombucha they sell at Whole Foods sometimes.  Grape and strawberry are my favorites, but they definitely don't kill my appetite. :(

VeganKitten

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:52:09 pm »

I think it's pretty difficult to get a toxic result. That said, it's also difficult to get a result as delicious (at least to me) as the store-bought kind.  :lol:

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:15:32 pm »

i would not trust myself not to screw it up big time....
also 'kombucha'  has not been heard of here - i only learnt about it from you guys!!

falconcy

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 10:42:37 pm »

I think I'll stick to kefir and ayrani - both pretty similar. There's also my favorite mango lassi, my version consists of greek yogurt, fresh mango and ground cardamom seeds thrown in a blender smoothie style - delicious I guess that would work with other fruits too.
A legend in his own lunch hour
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18