Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
I lost 36 lbs in 5 months

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I lost 36 lbs in 5 months  (Read 25785 times)

Fangfang

I lost 36 lbs in 5 months
« on: November 19, 2009, 12:52:27 AM »

Hi everyone,

This is a late post to give you the good news, yes, I made it, so many thanks to Professor Seth, thank you for your great experiment and the genus method, and all the friends in this forum, I'm new to you, but I've read many of your posts and ideas and experiences, thank you for your sharing!

OK, this is my story:

I'm Fangfang from Beijing, China. I was 63kg(139 lbs) when I started SLD (1 year and 4 months after giving birth to my daughter)and I was 48kg(106 lbs) before I got pregnant, after 5  months in SLD, I reached 103 lbs and have maintained this weight for about 40 days now.

139 lbs on May 06, 2009, 103 lbs in Oct 06, 2009, 7.2 lbs lost average in each month, and much more than this, I get rid of my ’fatty liver‘, improved my hyperlipidemia for 1/3 of the LDL, and wear back all my old slim clothes, this is a big change to my life and I'm so happy with this!

One of my friends introduced SLD to me after I hurt my muscle in jogging...I used canola oil mainly, from supermarket, switched to Flaxseed oil and Grapeseed oil some times. I just swallow it with hot water, with nose clipped, not blending. I eat much less than usual, and eat almost nothing except oil and 3 meals a day, not much exercise but 20 minutes walking twice a day.

Still, many thanks to you all! Wish you have your own target reached in a planned schedule, you can make it too!

And thank you again, Professor!

Tandoori Trilobite

• Aspiring gutless wonder
Re: I lost 36 lbs in 5 months
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:14:59 AM »

Thank you for sharing your "quiet achiever" good news with us, Fangfang!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:17:07 AM »

WELL DONE !!!!! :D

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 02:12:26 AM »

Hi Fangfang!! Greetings from Portugal!!
Good to know your story. Can you tell us how much oil you're having, and at what time in the day?
Are you taking the same amount for maintenance, or less than before?
Thanks for sharing and sincere CONGRATS!!  :)
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Maychi

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »

Well done, Fangfang!

Fangfang

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 11:49:05 PM »

Hi, Tandoori Trilobite, yes I'm a so quiet SLDer....and I believe there are other quiet ones, please submit your post too :)

Hi nougat, Maychi, thank you~~~

Hi Pinkmug, wow, Portugal is a place I've never been :)

To answer your questions, I should add more details here:

I used a small cup that is about 20ml oil each time, twice a day, normally I have breakfast at 9 am, drink the first cup of oil between 10-11am, have lunch at 12pm, and dinner at 7:30 pm, drink the second oil at 2 pm, 4 pm, 6 pm...not fixed, besides the oil and meals, I drink pure water, and some Xylitol water/rock candy when I was still hungry.

If I missed one oil in the day, I'll add it after dinner but it won't work if I go to sleep immediately...half-ours' digest time will get it work.

I got some plateaus...at 59kg, 55kg, 53kg, and 50kg I think, the way out of plateau is "Change", just as most of you shared:

Switch oil, change time, change food.....I usually use canola oil for 2 weeks and another oil for 3 days then switch back to canola oil, which works best for me.

Some other points are....

1) don't get too tired, relax and have rest to keep your body in good status 

2) avoid ditto food...since ditto food phenomenon is significant  on me, say a big burger on the first day, "Oh, I'm totally full, I can't finish it"; the same burger the second day, "It's not that big, just so so", the third day "Have I had something? I'm so hungry now, just half an hour after the burger!!!"  Just in this way.

Add different sauces, choose different food flavors, different dishes in a same restaurant....

3) less main food

4) I take multi-vitamin and Soya Lecithin sometimes(not everyday), it's not clear which dropped my LDL, the oil or the lecithin, maybe both.

5) Suger water, Xylitol water/rock candy will help you get through the oil and low calorie meals days easier

6) clip the nose when drinking oil will help you swallow oil easily

7) I check my weight every morning and log the data into Google doc.....maybe it works too :)

8) Come to this forum to learn from you, haha

I have twice of 15ml oil now, on some days only once, not so strictly....and I have more food now because it's winter I need keep warm (feel cold during the SLD times).

One more thing....Since I'm female, I noticed I'll be more hungry during the several days before period, and then lose more if I don't take in extra food.

So much this time.

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:58:22 AM »

Fangfang: Hi, Tandoori Trilobite, yes I'm a so quiet SLDer....and I believe there are other quiet ones, please submit your post too :)

Just click on my "Tandoori Trilobite's SLD Page" signature block below to see my personal thread.

I'm curious about a couple of things, too:

• Is the Shangri-La Diet book available in China (perhaps in translation)?
  • Your friend who introduced you to SLD -- had she/he done the diet her/himself?

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 06:30:16 AM »

Oooh Fangfang, I've never been to China either so we are tied  :D but I'm soooo happy that you posted, and motivated again, because I started at 63 kg too!! And I'm having this year-long plateau at 59 kg!! But in my case I'd settle for 54-55 kg as my goal, as that was my pre-baby weight. Granted, I once had 48 kg, that was in my early twenties, eons ago.

So, I'm taking note of your suggestions, I've taken oil in a much different way: once a day, either first thing in the morning, or at bedtime. Never took it with hot water either. Anyway, I'm very excited again, there is hope for me. Thank you Fangfang!!  :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Fangfang

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 12:19:55 AM »

To Tandoori Trilobite,

1  I haven't got one yet, there is a traditional Chinese version in Taiwan, but no simplified Chinese version and no English version on sale either. Actually I have suggested to two publishing house but they have concern. Maybe I should buy one from Seth for he should be in Beijing these days. All I know is from web and mostly Seth's blog and this forum.

2 It's He. He knows it from the <Freakonomics> and he didn't try by himself, I'm the one eating the first apple.

I've suggested to some friends and one is trying...getting slim now.

I get into but haven't finished reading your whole pages....but I think you worked harder than me: you lost more lbs and keeping so well now, so how do you think the maintaining time? Do you have some special points to guide me? Following you now :)

To Pinkmug,

Wow, it's so interesting that we started at the same weight and for the same reason :) It seems you have less to lose if you're aiming to 54kg....When I look back it seems very easy to reach 55kg but at that time, a 20-days plateau made me think very dark.....Switching oil and better rest saved me at that time, and I ate very little really.

I think once a day may be a standard maintaining way, so you can make some change now, the key word is 'Change' here, and always :) Keep yourself healthy for healthy body can help lose fat (and losing fat will help one be healthier...it so interesting here).

Waiting for your good news Pinkmug.

BTW: I noticed skin improved too, as most people reported.

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 02:27:59 AM »

Wow, Fangfang, you did it without the help of the book?  I wish you could have had the book.  You would have saved yourself so much time and work, because the book is easy to read (at least when it's in your own language), it's not a long book, and you only have to read the first half of the book in order to start SLD with a proper understanding of how it works.  A lot of the "information" about SLD out on other sites on the Web isn't fully accurate, or is oversimplified.  Congratulations on researching it well enough -- without the help of the book -- to make it work so well for yourself!

You asked how maintenance has been for me?  Well, after I officially finished SLD, I stopped taking oil, and resolved to be careful with what I ate, and with exercising regularly.  Everything was fine for at least the first two years, and then, a few months ago, I became distracted and careless, and realised that some of my trousers had become tighter than they should be.  So, as described in this post, I've returned for a little "remedial" SLD.  It's nothing catastrophic, but I might lose about 14 pounds while I'm here.  I haven't declared it officially on my ticker yet, but I've unofficially hit eight pounds down after six weeks, according to my latest scales readings.

You asked for advice about maintenance?  Well, try not to forget the bad eating habits that brought you to SLD in the first place.  Try to remember and continue the good eating habits that you developed while doing SLD.  And try to remember to do regular exercise.  I know that's very obvious advice, but I think that is about all you need.  It's advice that I must try to remember myself. :wink:

One more thing: if you find that you have regained some weight -- more weight than is acceptable -- go back onto SLD for a few weeks and fix it while it's still a manageable problem.  Don't wait for it to become a big problem.  You've shown that you know how to do it.  And, of course, you can always come back to this forum for support and motivation as a "remedial" SLDer. :)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 02:30:16 AM »

Thank you for answering, FF. I'm still stalled, maybe "better rest" will be the key here......

sidda

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »

Hi Fangfang, wow: your weight-loss on the diet is very impressive! That's amazing that you lost so much so quickly and consistently, especially to get down to a pretty low weight (even if it was your normal pre-pregnancy)! I am quite inspired by your story now, and I'm ready to commit (again!) to really taking my dose every day. I'm at 53 kg now, and trying to get down to 48. I usually have a pretty easy time getting to 51kg by normal healthy eating and cutting down calories, but below 51 seems to be very hard for my body. And, being an Antipodean we're getting into bathing suit season so I'm keen to start taking things more seriously :)

I wondered if you could provide some more details about what you were eating, especially towards the end of your weight-loss. You said you eat three meals a day - what types of foods? And, did you count calories? If so, how much were you having to cut down to lose the last bit? How's your maintenance going?

Thanks so much for sharing any details! cheers, s.

Fangfang

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »

Hi Tandoori Trilobite, wow, you have had a stable maintaining period without oil, that's great, and you used remedial SLD to make it back to normal...haha, I think that SLD makes us fearless on the weight adding, that's the biggest change on our life. And I totally agree with you (and thank you) on your suggestions of maintaining, we should always keep an eye on the weight changes. But I really enjoyed the oil besides it's time consuming :)

You said you were "distracted and careless"  several months ago, did you also feel tired at the same time?

I've suffered ‘Chronic Fatigue Syndrome’ for 2 years and it got better on SLD time but the thing totally pulled me out is Taiji(one kind of Chinese Kongfu) practicing, I've practiced about 20 days and feel totally different and full of energy again.

One more thing on SLD is that I felt very cold(and hair losing) in those days, I'm wondering if other people feel that way or just because I was taking too little food? In Chinese Medicine theories, that means some kind of damages to my endocrine system.

To Pinkmug, yes, so try better (and more) rest, i remember Lynette in the TV of desperate housewives, she is so tired with the children...

To Sidda, yes I deliberately chose the target to under pre-pregnancy...I've so glad that you can get strength from my story :)

I was having traditional Chinese food at that time, say, 1/3 of bowl of rice (the size of bowl is 350ml) and some vegetable and meat/buff/egg, then stop when I was feeling not hungry, sometimes I would eat more vegetables to make me full :)

I think some key points here are better rest, switching oil, sugar water when you are hungry but not meal time, no ditto food, you can try all of them. Wish you get to under 48kg too, you can get to that. Actually I'd like to get down to 46kg....it's still in my normal BMI value(18.9).

I'm 156cm and 33 years old, female :)

Tandoori Trilobite

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »

Fangfang: You said you were "distracted and careless"  several months ago, did you also feel tired at the same time?

No, I didn't have problems with illness or fatigue.  I was just complacent and forgot some of the lessons about eating properly.

One more thing on SLD is that I felt very cold(and hair losing) in those days, I'm wondering if other people feel that way or just because I was taking too little food?

Well, I shave my head bald (and I have a fair degree of natural baldness, anyway), so I don't know whether the weight loss would've caused me any hair loss.  I can't see the difference. :)

As for feeling cold ... yes, that happens to me too from time to time.  For instance, I might be feeling cold, but I can see from the thermometer in my kitchen that it's 25 degrees (Celsius) in there, so I know that the kitchen isn't cold -- it's me!  Assuming that you're not ill, that kind of "unjustified" coldness can be a sign that your body is worried about the shortage of food that you're giving it, so your body tries to conserve your fat supplies by keeping you less warm.  Just as the world can have an oil crisis, your body can think that it's having a "food crisis"!

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 02:01:31 PM »

feeling cold in a warm room can also be a sign of an out of whack thyroid gland.  It is a major symptom of low thyroid levels.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18