Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!  (Read 63874 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2009, 03:11:48 AM »

Thanks for the article. I do wish those who cannot do without meat went for the grass fed, free-range humanely grown; as it's more expensive maybe they'd eat it more mindfully and gratefully. And reduce the quantity too. Everyone involved (people, planet, animals) would gain!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2009, 06:46:19 AM »

In the states, unfortunaely, the government has its hands all in the pockets of the farming industry and vice versa, and so much of the meat available is corn fed, thanks to government subsidiaries for growing MASSIVE crops of corn (which explains why high fructose corn syrup finds its way into everything we eat in the States too). 

But who knows, in light of so many new concerns over HFCS and other negative impacts of grain feeding cattle and other livestock, maybe the Dept. of Agriculture will start encouraging pasture raised meat rather than grain/corn fed factory farming.

Kirk

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:04 PM »

The future of in-vitro meat is just not that far away.  My guess is maybe five years, or, at the outside, ten years.  Great article at http://hplusmagazine.com/articles/bio/eight-ways-vitro-meat-will-change-our-lives .

goblyn

« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »

I have two minds about in-vitro meat production.  On one hand, it seems ethical and humane.  On the other hand it seems totally disturbing and unnatural and reminds me of Soylent Green and similar films.  And also, I'm a little concerned about the lack of saturated fats.  Nobody conclusively knows if saturated fats are entirely bad for us.  If we totally cut them out of our diets, we don't really know what the health repercussions will be across a large scale.

This thread really makes me wish that I could simply win the lottery, recluse myself to a cabin in remote Maine or similar, have dairy goats and chickens and hunt other game for food!

sdeshwood

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »

This thread really makes me wish that I could simply win the lottery, recluse myself to a cabin in remote Maine or similar, have dairy goats and chickens and hunt other game for food!

I totally concur!  Frankenburgers give me the heebie jeebies!   

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »

there are studies that show that saturated fats are good for you.  it seems that they're bad when combined with carbs.

goblyn

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2009, 06:46:51 AM »

I personally think that saturated fats are getting the blame because the animal meat that gives us the most saturated fat (beef and pork) comes from animals being fed a diet which is unnatural to them (in the states at least, that diet is composed mainly of corn, which neither pigs nor cows eat naturally).  I wouldn't be suprised if someone found out that all those things that are supposedly caused by saturated fats are really caused by eating this genetically modified corn forced eating animal meat.  Hormones and GM food aside, the simple fact that cows are not supposed to eat corn but are given it in vast quantities, could change the meat and make it unhealthy for humans to consume in large quantities.

But that's all hypothetical psuedoscience. 

IndianGirl

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2010, 12:40:53 AM »

Lord Stern, author of the 2006 Stern Review on the cost of tackling global warming, said that a successful deal at the upcoming Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen would lead to soaring costs for meat and other foods that generate large quantities of greenhouse gases.

A former chief economist at the World Bank, Stern warned that British taxpayers would need to contribute about £ 3 billion a year by 2015 to help poor countries to cope with the impact of climate change.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/global-warming/Turn-vegetarian-and-conquer-climate-change-expert-/articleshow/5170121.cms

Looks like countries that consume most animal products and hence cause most climate change and hence destruction will be paying the price for disturbing the balance of nature. We cannot disturb the balance of nature without paying the price ourselves.

Phoebe

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2010, 10:21:47 AM »

The future of in-vitro meat is just not that far away.  My guess is maybe five years, or, at the outside, ten years.  Great article at http://hplusmagazine.com/articles/bio/eight-ways-vitro-meat-will-change-our-lives .
Kirk, is this for real, or is this a joke?  I heard somewhere that people who need new body organs will be able to grow them in dishes within the next five to ten years, so "beaker bacon" doesn't seem like much of a stretch. 

As a long time lacto-ovo vegetarian, I think this is a great idea.  I would much prefer tube-grown meat to something that came from a mistreated animal and was laden with mad cow disease, hormones, antibiotics, etc.  This sounds like a much nicer, safer food source.  I just wish that someone would figure out how to make brie in a test tube, so that I don't have to feel guilty about dairy cows!

Goblyn, I'm sure they can inject it with saturated fat for you instead of fish oil.:D  It might be more popular if it tastes more like the real thing, anyway.

Regarding climate change and meat animals:  Isn't it better for sustainability if people eat less in general, regardless of what they choose to eat?  It seems to me that learning to control your appetite is good for the planet.

IndianGirl

« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »

Regarding climate change and meat animals:  Isn't it better for sustainability if people eat less in general, regardless of what they choose to eat?  It seems to me that learning to control your appetite is good for the planet.

Hi Phoebe, the following article I had written attempts to answer the question 'How is eating plants different from eating animals?' :
(References are quoted at the end of the article)

Q& A on Compassionate Lifestyle:

What is the difference between killing a plant and killing an animal? Both are life forms.
Unlike animals, plants do not have a nervous system. So, plants cannot feel pain when they are cut. There is no scientific reason to believe that plants bring a consciousness or psychological presence to the world. Plants do not have a brain or central nervous system. Therefore, they lack the fundamental mechanisms to experience pleasure, pain, and suffering. Fear and pain would serve no purpose in plants because they are unable to escape any threat. Any rational person understands the striking difference between slitting the throat of a sentient being (being that has consciousness and feels sensations) animal and plucking a fruit or vegetable. The unfounded rationalization that plants may feel pain would be an absurd justification for the needless killing of obviously sentient animals.
Even if there were grounds for acknowledging that plants can feel sensations, fact is that a vegan person who lives on a plant-based diet consumes far fewer resources, including plants, than either people on a meat-based diet or vegetarians who eat eggs and dairy products.
For eg, it takes:
900 litres of water to produce 1 kg of maize,
3000 litres of water to produce 1 kg of rice,
3900 litres of water and 2.1 to 3 kg of grain to produce 1 kg of chicken,
4900 litres of water and 4 to 5.5 kg of grain to produce 1 kg of pork,
15500 litres of water and 10 kg of plant matter to produce 1 kg of beef.
Thus, a person eating 1 kg of rice is consuming 1 kg of plant food and 3000 litres of water. A person eating 1 kg of beef has not only traumatized a sentient animal by killing it, but is also eating 1 kg of animal meat to produce which 15500 litres of water and 10 kg of plants (vegetable feed matter) were used.
Clearly, an animal-products eater kills many more plants than a plant-products eater. An animal-products eater uses much more resources such as land, water and plants than a plant-products eater.
If people adopted a plant-based diet, then it would solve the problem of world hunger, as enough plant food will be available for everyone.
Minimize suffering to the starving humans, to the plants, animals and earth. Shun animal products. Do not consume dairy products, meat (bird, fish, animal), eggs, leather, silk etc. Adopt a plant-based diet.

Content sourced from Jo Stepaniak (vegsource.com), TERI (The Energy Research Institute) and Arun Rangaswamy from I.I.Sc.

IndianGirl

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »

Please view this 1 minute video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWUZDwYlbg8

August

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »

Water is used, but not destroyed.  It isn't the deciding factor when deciding what to eat- nutrition is far more important.
Animals use mobility to avoid being eaten; if you manage to catch them you get bio-available nutrition.
Plants use chemicals.  They are easier to harvest, but more likely to have something nasty in them.  You may be safe eating fruits and vegetables, but most plant-based diets end up being focused on grains and legumes. 

Everyone will not be fed if we all just go to a plant-based diet.  Nowadays famine has more to do with politics than whether or not there is enough food available worldwide.  We've got a ridiculous amount of corn and soy in the U.S.A. thanks to stupid subsidy policies, but distribution is a problem- some local despot inevitably reroutes food intended for the people for his own gang's use.

August

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2010, 02:00:43 PM »

There is another part of this a little harder to explain.
The plants and animals already co-exist with us on this planet. Our ancestors obviously made a decision to invest a lot of effort into catching game. 
But the arguments for a plant-based diet seem to focus on how many resources are put into the production of food.  Based on this idea we should all drink cheap moonshine rather than good Scotch. 
The plants are here; the animals are here and there is every reason to feed the plants to the animals, to lengthen the production cycle so that we can have a better product, if we are going to think about food as products in the first place. 

Maybe this sounds a bit weird, but just take the plant-based argument to it's logical conclusion: surely killing all animals would solve the problem? If we are 'wasting' resources raising them for food, couldn't we save even more resources by just eradicating them from the planet?
And then there's us.  Are the resources put into us to be valued similarly?

falconcy

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »

My partner raised an interesting point concerning the in-vitro meat concept. If we produce all our food from such means, what will happen to all the animals? Will cows become extinct? Will they be neglected and left to die as they no longer have any commercial value? Just look at the humble donkey, replaced by the motor car, how many of them ended up having to be rescued by caring individuals when people no longer had use for them.

The more fanatical exponents of vegetarianism may have good principles in mind, yet I suspect they have not considered what would happen to all the animals were they no longer useful to us.
A legend in his own lunch hour

shovelqueen

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2010, 04:58:10 AM »

But most of the domesticated animals are here because of us. It's human agricultural practices that have cows, pigs and chickens reproducing way beyond their natural capacity.  If that pressure is relieved, and the "natural order of things" allowed to proceed, there would be much less reproduction of animals, I'm thinking.  Also, there will always be a market for "natural" meat products, whether it is a premium "gourmet" product, or "the cheap food of the masses", it will always likely be around. 

Population control, whether in the wild or with us humans, is always related to food supply.  More food = more reproduction.  I'm not sure that test-tube meat is going to be good for our overcrowded planet. 

Humans evolved to eat meat intermittently, obtained after vast effort, supplemented with very low-glycemic carbs in the form of foraged plant materials.  Working towards that as an ideal is likely the best for us and the planet.  The entire human race, eating just enough, and of unprocessed, less packaged foods, would still be a strain on the planet - anything we do right now will be, simply by virtue of there being so many of us. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18