Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!  (Read 64680 times)

VeganKitten

Re: Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 06:08:09 PM »

this thread is grossing. me. out.  :shock:

:lol: I'll stay away now.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 06:12:03 PM »

When cooking a brisket no need to brown it first.

The briskets I usually get run about 10lbs or so.
It shrinks a lot when cooking.
But the ones I buy are way too big to fit in a crockpot.
They are usually about 18" long, 10" wide, 6" thick, when raw, before I trim the hard fat off.  (sizes are estimates, it has been several months since I cooked one  8) )
This size will feed about 6-8 people.

Briskets are very hard to come by in my part of Michigan, I always get one when I visit my brother in Missouri and bring it home in a cooler.
Here they run about $7/lb.  In Missouri they are 99 cents/lb on sale.
Here they come in a piece that would shrink to a single serving size.   :shock:
I guess it is because no one knows how to cook them here.  :lol:  I learned when I lived in Texas.

Here are some recipes for brisket
Maybe a couple are for the crock pot.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q[]=brisket&ls=h&Search=Search&s_type=%2Frecipes.php
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

sdeshwood

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »

Ah- thanks, karky.  yeah I really don't know what is available here in CA.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 06:36:46 AM »

Oh I totally forgot about tongue.  Tongue (once peeled) really looks like a piece of lean tenderloin or similar.  Its very VERY tasty if prepared properly (it is best cooked with liquid as it can get tough easily).  But definately peel it (the outer layer comes off pretty easily once soaked in water) as otherwise its undeniably a tongue lol!  :P

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 07:13:20 AM »

sorry goblyn but this is where i'd use the 'barf' smiley if we had one!!!

sdeshwood

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 03:37:57 PM »

Oy, tongue. . . tasty?  really??!  Well I'll try (almost) anything.  I draw the line at any animal's testicles.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »

I can't get past the appearance of the unpeeled tongue.
 :shock:
No way am I going to eat that.
My grandma used to have it when I was young.
ICK.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

shemsheli

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 11:22:37 AM »

My next plan of attack with regard to making liver taste better is to try koshering it.  The process is to take the meat, soak it in water for thirty minutes, pat dry and then cover in salt and let sit for one hour. Then, rinse off the salt, pat dry again, and cook.  I figure this will get the blood out (I don't really need the iron) and make it taste less like liver. 

Just FYI, liver has so much blood in it that salting/soaking doesn't get as much blood out as roasting over fire (at least according to Jewish law.)  I have never cooked liver, so I don't know whether that's true.  The Jewish law way to kasher liver is to broil or roast it over fire so that the blood drips out and does not get reabsorbed.

VeganKitten

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 03:56:02 PM »

Every time I see this thread's title come up, I read "(human cannibalism) = awesome!"

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »

i read somewhere that excess iron is the cause of heart disease......

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2009, 02:13:34 AM »

Funny VK, the first time I read that I thought they meant cannibalism indeed!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

IndianGirl

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2009, 04:52:33 AM »

Consuming Animal Products Destroys Our Environment

United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization Report ‘Livestock’s Long Shadow’, 2006: Livestock sector is responsible for 18 percent of all human-induced greenhouse gas emissions. This is 4% more than the entire transportation sector (!!!) and is a major contributor to climate change. The meat industry produces more greenhouse gases than all the SUVs, cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined.
The impact of climate change includes the threat of flooding in the coastal regions, rapid decrease in green cover, melting of the glaciers, rise in diseases and large scale displacement of millions of people.

According to 2009 report by WorldWatch (one of the top ten Sustainable Living Organizations in the world), the current figures of the impact of consumption of animal products on climate change is much greater than even 18%!!!!
http://www.worldwatch.org/files/pdf/Livestock%20and%20Climate%20Change.pdf

Water scarcity affects the entire world and it takes 100,000 liters of water to produce one kg of beef, 2000 liters for 1 kg of rice, 600 liters for 1 kg of wheat and 500 liters for 1 kg of potatoes. (Reference: Journal Bioscience)

While 36% of the world's grains are consumed by the livestock industry, billions of people live below the poverty line and are starving. (Reference: ‘Business Star, May 2009, Lester R. Brown, June 15, 2006.)

For every pound of meat you eat, you have used much more water, food grains and land, as compared to eating a pound of vegetarian food.

Eating 1 pound of meat emits the same amount of greenhouse gases as driving an SUV 40 miles.

CONSUMTION OF ANIMAL PRODUCTS IS DESTROYING OUR PLANET.

REFUSING MEAT IS THE ‘SINGLE MOST EFFECTIVE’ THING YOU CAN DO TO ENSURE YOUR CHILDREN DON’T INHERIT A DEVASTATED EARTH.

Consuming Animal Products Destroys Human Health
   Millions of cases worldwide of zoonotic illnesses (such as swine flu) and chronic degenerative illnesses (such as coronary heart disease, cancers, diabetes, and hypertension leading to strokes)—all linked to the consumption of livestock products. (Reference: ‘Livestock and Climate Change’ Report by WorldWatch)
   About 75% of the new diseases that have affected humans over the past 10 years have been caused by pathogens originating from an animal or from products of animal origin. (Reference: World Health Organization)
   When we consume animal products such as dairy, meat, eggs etc, we are eating saturated fat (which is bad for our heart), cholesterol, hormones, antibiotics, pus and chemicals.
   Children reach puberty much earlier now, due to the abundance of hormones in their food such as milk, eggs and meat.

Intense Cruelty towards Animals in Meat, Egg and Milk Industry
Do we really know the reality behind the food on our plate everyday?
Please read on to get a glimpse of the daily horrors that farm animals such as cows, pigs, goats, sheep, hens go through.
These animals reared for food are TORTURED EVERYDAY from their birth to death/slaughter.
In meat, egg and milk industry, billions of animals endure intense cruelty every year. In animal factories, hens, pigs, goats, cows etc are raised for meat by confining them in cages/sheds that are just as big as their body size. Growth hormones and antibiotics are administered daily to make them grow fast for slaughter. Workers handle the animals/birds mercilessly, leading to dislocated bones as well as internal bleeding. During their journey to the slaughterhouse, they aren't given any food, water, or protection from extreme temperatures, often for days. The animals/birds are still conscious as they are hung upside down and their throats are slit.
Male chicks are considered byproducts as they're unable to lay eggs, so male chicks are crushed in a grinder. Female chicks are used for meat and the young female chicks’ parts that cannot be eaten (e.g. beak, tongue, wings) are cut off so that many chicks can be stocked close to each other. The chicks are mutilated when young in this manner, and allowed to grow to adult size for their meat. Hens are given less space than the area of a letter-sized sheet of paper in which to eat, sleep, lay eggs, and defecate.
Most beef cattle are castrated, de-horned, and branded, painful procedures performed without any anesthesia. Cattle raised for meat are intensively confined and tethered by the neck in individual stalls so small they can't turn around during their entire 16- to 18-week lives before slaughter. Cows and sows (female pigs) suffer through rapid cycles of impregnation, giving birth, and nursing, all while intensively confined. They are pumped with hormones and antibiotics to sustain unnatural cycles. Dairy cows endure annual cycles of artificial insemination, mechanized milking for 10 out of 12 months every year (including 7 months of their 9-month pregnancies), and giving birth. The cows are routinely given hormones and drugs to get the highest milk yield possible. This rigorous cycle overburdens the cows, which are considered "productive" for only two years and are slaughtered when four years old. Male dairy calves are of no value to the dairy farmer, so within their first few days of life, the calves are taken from their mothers and slaughtered.
When deep sea fish are quickly brought to the surface, some may experience decompression and their organs can burst before they suffocate on the boat's deck.

SOLUTION: How Can You Help? What Should You Do?   
SAY ‘NO’ TO ANIMAL PRODUCTS.
DO NOT CONSUME:
•   DAIRY PRODUCTS
•   MEAT (BIRD, FISH, ANIMAL)
•   EGGS
•   LEATHER
•   SILK
By Saying ‘No’ to Animal Products you are helping save your health, our Earth and the animals.

If you’ve read this far, I hope that you are beginning to see that the Meat & Dairy industry is a major contributor to misery on this planet. It is destroying the health of people in rich countries, starving those in poor countries, it is torturing & killing billions of animals every year and in the meantime it is one of the major factors in the destruction of the environment - so what does the meat & dairy industry have to say in its defence? Well their only real point is usually “Meat is tasty” - fair enough a lot of people enjoy the taste of meat - but there are plenty of delicious alternatives (just consider the huge range of vegetarian dishes in Indian cooking - one of the oldest & most sophisticated cuisines in the world) and if you really crave meat & dairy, nowadays there are plenty of healthy non-animal alternatives - just look in the supermarket & health food shop. So I hope you will agree it’s pretty pathetic to consider all the evidence & then say “Well I know you’re right about the environment & health & the animals - but I just love my meat.”

Washington Post: Bellying up to environmentalism:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/15/AR2009111502210.html?referrer=facebook

Animal Agriculture Plays Key Role in Climate Change
http://www.humanesociety.org/news/news/2009/11/climate_change_report_091009.html

Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/6466890/Methane-impact-on-global-warming-much-greater-than-thought.html

CNN:
Eating animals is making us sick:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/10/26/opinion.jonathan.foer/

Al Gore FINALLY jumped on board saying that reducing meat in one’s diet is “the responsible thing to do” when it comes to the fight on climate change.
http://www.ecorazzi.com/2009/11/04/al-gore-agrees-that-going-vegetarian-helps-the-environment/

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:35:44 AM by IndianGirl »

dshack

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »

Yup, there are certainly some issues with the current factory farm system. That said:

-Pastured livestock turns food humans cannot eat (grass) into food that we can it.
-The mortality from carbohydrate-linked health issues like diabetes, heart attacks, and cancer far outweighs that of meat-borne illness.
-While the calorie-per-acre potential of vegetables is higher than that of meat, America has no shortage of calories. If you remove sugar and heavily-processed grains from a diet, it's very hard to get adequate calories and nutrition from vegetables.

Read: The Vegetarian Myth

Meat, at least grain-fed, factory-farmed, transported meat, may have a larger environmental impact than veggies. Veggies have a larger (negative) health impact than meat. The latter matters more to me.

VeganKitten

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »

I think you have this backwards  8)

carbohydrate-linked health issues like diabetes, heart attacks, and cancer

But I don't want to get into a pissing contest, so I'll leave it at that.

sdeshwood

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »

-The mortality from carbohydrate-linked health issues like diabetes, heart attacks, and cancer far outweighs that of meat-borne illness.

Meat, at least grain-fed, factory-farmed, transported meat, may have a larger environmental impact than veggies. Veggies have a larger (negative) health impact than meat. The latter matters more to me.

Monky-  Word.  How are you doing on all-meat? 

VK- no need for a pissing contest ever.  I think the cool thing about these boards is that everyone is free to explore their own paths to personal health. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18