Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!  (Read 59700 times)

nougat

• Malta EU
Re: Zero-carb eating (human carnivorism) = awesome!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 11:05:01 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 05:21:59 AM »

My take on this diet -- which won't surprise anyone who reads my blog -- is that it's pretty good but you aren't getting enough bacteria. There's a reason we like sour, umami, and complex flavors -- not to mention the vast amount of evidence that fermented foods improve health. Unless the meat and eggs come from grass-fed animals, you are also probably not getting enough omega-3. Although I find it very easy to skip dessert and fruit and all the classic carbs, such as bread and pasta, I don't find it so easy to skip all vegetables. In particular, I much prefer a meal with meat and vegetables to a meal of all meat. I think that is saying something about what is best for us.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 06:08:53 AM »

I think I start to lose you here. Why do you need to train your metabolism to work like a paleolithic person's? I mean, I'm all for conserving electricity, gas, and getting fresh air (and vitamin D), but I don't get the connection to the eating style.

Because dieting is only part of the issue.  The idea behind a paleolithic diet is that you are eating the way a paleolithic person did becuase it is the natural way to eat.  Well paleolithic people did not exclusively live in a world that was constantly 70 degrees.  They lived in a world of varying temperature extremes.  The paleolithic people of Africa did not know what a cold winter was like, and the paleolithic people of Northern Alaska did not know what a warm summer was like.  Therefore their diets reflected their varying needs based upon their climate.  An african diet would consist of meat, but also various vegetables and fruits because these were widely available to them.  On the other hand the Inuit people's diets were high in animal fats because other food sources were scarce.  However, their body's metabolisms were linked to the weather conditions.  Therefore an inuit eating high amounts of fat did not have problems with this type of diet, whereas a person living in a warmer climate might not have the same rate of success.

What I think the paleolithic diet people don't understand is that you cannot simply say THIS is the one way for you to eat your diet.  You should look at your area, and see what is available to eat there in season.  The problem comes in when you have fooled your body into thinking that it is in a different climate.  If you try eating an inuit style diet while enjoying a warm 75 degree all year home, then your body has no need to digest all that fat.

I'm not arguing your zero-carb diet, I am arguing against some points of the paleolithic diet.  If you lived in an area where the climate was constantly 75 degrees (oh let's say you live in Hawaii then), naturally occuring food would be varied and plentiful and would include things like fruit year round.  That is simply a fact.  So I just have problems with the broad statements that the paleolithic diet folks make about what you should and shouldn't eat.

I'm sure I'm just confusing the issue, and truthfully I'm just playing the devil's advocate.  I think the paleolithic diet is pretty darn valid, with the exception of their stance on fruit.  And when I mention the idea of eating fruit in season, the problem with this is that if we really did live in a world where its constantly 75 degrees like we all enjoy with modern conveniences, then fruit would always be in season anyways, so theoretically you could eat as much fruit as you wanted.

shovelqueen

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 08:27:40 AM »

And race enters into it, too. A white person of northern European background has differently evolved metabolic needs.  What worked in their particular environment over the millennia will be very different from what black Africans evolved to enjoy, or East Indian metabolisms, or Asians.

Lactose intolerance is a good example.  Northern European descendants generally have the ability to consume dairy sugars - lactose - into adulthood, as using dairy products from animals was an excellent survival strategy, especially in cold northern climates when there were long periods without much food production (the gatherer part of hunter-gatherer withers in the winter).  In warmer southern climes, it mattered not at all whether one could digest lactose, as any dairy products included in the diet were sure to be fermented or soured almost immediately, due to the warmth of the climate.  So East Indians use lots of yogurt and curded products, as do those from the middle East and Africa.  The incidence of lactose intolerance in these populations, as well as Asians is much higher. 

So the ideal "paleolithic" diet may vary for different population groups. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »

very interesting sq!!

sdeshwood

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 06:12:24 PM »

August- how the heck do you cook organ meats so that they are tasty??!  I am curious but a bit uneasy about the flavor.  Also- do you have any brisket recipes?

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 06:49:27 PM »

Do you mean corned beef brisket or plain old brisket that is BBQed Texas style?

Beef Brisket
Trim excess hard fat
place in baking pan that is lined with foil.
Cover with foil
Bake at 200F overnight or at least 8hrs
Uncover, slice, and put BBQ sauce of choice over meat

Mow it down!  :lol:

You can put BBQ sauce on before it is done cooking if you like it that way.
You can marinate it in beer if you like it that way too.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 10:21:45 AM »

sdeshwood, I use beef heart alot in my cooking, as it is very lean and has lots of iron.  I usually chop it in very small pieces and stew it.

I think one of the secrets is to really rinse the organ meat off really well, let it soak in a solution of water and salt (but remember to re-rinse it afterwards as the sodium content can go through the roof here), re-rinse.

Once you are done with the rinsing/soaking/rinsing process (you should let it soak for a few hours at least), trim the organ of any veins, or other membranes that seem like they'd be too tough to eat, etc.

The best way to deal with organ meat is to utilize them in a way where they won't be the sole star of the show.  So instead of eating a heart like a steak or burger, try it in a chili or stew or similar.

dshack

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 11:06:27 AM »

What are the benefits of organ meat? Not trying to attack anyone, just totally uninformed on this topic and curious.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 02:15:21 PM »

organ meat is higher in iron (?)

August

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 02:58:27 PM »

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=beef+liver

Vitamins A and B12 particularly well represented.  I believe it improves my mood too.

My next plan of attack with regard to making liver taste better is to try koshering it.  The process is to take the meat, soak it in water for thirty minutes, pat dry and then cover in salt and let sit for one hour. Then, rinse off the salt, pat dry again, and cook.  I figure this will get the blood out (I don't really need the iron) and make it taste less like liver.  Other than that,  I use A LOT of onions.  I was using chicken livers because they are milder in flavor, but they come in 1.25lb containers and I find trying to deal with that much at once is something of a trial.

Anyway beef heart is actually pretty easy to incorporate into your diet- use it to make chili. 
The kidneys at my local store just seem too big to buy; I'd rather not be stuck with quite that much if I can't eat it. 
I don't have access to all the possibilities; they only put so much out in the store, and I can't quite handle the look of beef tongue.

Beef bone marrow, is often easy to get, however, because they sell soup bones with large cross sections of the marrow exposed. 
I often just throw them into the crockpot, though sometimes I experiment because, ideally, you want to be able to scoop out the almost melted bone marrow with a spoon, but in the crockpot it usually just melts out into a broth.

I do wish there was a restaurant nearby that specialized in this stuff.  It's nice to see what a professional does with it; that way I could have a better picture of how it's supposed to turn out.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »

Try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyOGBimGYP4

Liver steaks (beef or pork), one of the dishes that I liked most in my meat eating times. You will understand the ingredients, I'm sure. try it, it's very tasty.
When I did this I didn't include ham; what I liked to do was fry onion rings before frying the liver. Also traditionally we use boiled potato not fried chips, but this is  also good, just too yummy.

The recipe in youtube features pork liver thinly cut; ham, minced garlic, bay leaf, white wine, olive oil, vinegar, salt pepper and parsley. Enjoy!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »

My mom says liver is best when it is still a little on the pink side.
It gets mealy and dry when it is overcooked.

Fried liver heaped with sauteed onions is one of her favorites. 
I personally am not a fan.
 :?

sdeshwood

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »

Hmmm thanks for all of the recipes and ideas!  I like the idea of using beef heart in chili.  Karky-thanks for the brisket recipe. Do you think it would work in the slow cooker?  I'm a big fan of my crock pot these days.  You don't need to brown it before roasting?

shovelqueen

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »

My mom says liver is best when it is still a little on the pink side.
It gets mealy and dry when it is overcooked.

That's right, Karky.  Just barely hits a hot frying pan, flip once and it's done.  Mine isn't never pink, but it's just a hair the other side of pink.  And it's nice and tender that way.

"Strength, balance, joy!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18