Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Can the oil be taken just once a day?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can the oil be taken just once a day?  (Read 17607 times)

neonification

Can the oil be taken just once a day?
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »

Hi,

I am a newbie to the Shangri-la Diet. I have come to this forum many times in the past year and even tried taking oil but gave up after a few days. This time, I am going to stick to it. What I wanted to know was whether the oil NEEDS to be taken twice a day?
I was thinking of taking it once and that too at night before going to bed. That way, I could deal with the problem of accidentally ingesting food in the 2 hour calorie free period. So is that going to be okay? Will be as efficient as dividing the total amount into 2 and taking it twice a day?

Thank you!

Daffodil-11

Re: Can the oil be taken just once a day?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »

You can take it however you like, assuming you take it with a flavor-free hour on either side. Personally, I find that I have somewhat better AS when I take all my oil at once, but I still have decent AS when I split it into two doses.

But yeah, you can work it however you like.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 01:56:30 AM »

I take my oil in one dose a day and have for a very long time.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 05:07:38 AM »

I too take my oil (flaxseed oil, noseclipped) in one dose per day, before I go to sleep.

neonification

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys! Greatly appreciate it.
Another question I had was whether it would be okay to take corn oil.
ELOO seems to be expensive (atleast in the stores I have been to) and we use corn oil at home for all kinds of cooking.
It would be great if I could use corn oil (which is ready at hand) instead of having to buy ELOO for the diet.

Daffodil-11

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »

You can use any oil you like, provided you take it in a way that renders it flavorless. If your corn oil has a flavor/aroma, however subtle, you'll need to clip your nose or something similar to make sure you can't taste it *at all.*

I haven't heard of anyone using corn oil -- the big question I'd have is whether it's easily digestible. Different oils affect people differently, and any of them can produce gastric discomfort, especially early on. But I can't think of any reason offhand to not try it.

A lot of people do use canola oil, which is probably cheaper than ELOO, if not cheaper than corn.

VeganKitten

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »

Corn oil is high in polyunsaturated fat and tends to undergo oxidation more readily than some other oils (e.g., olive). Oxidized fats generate free radical damage to cells, a process that is implicated in various degenerative diseases, especially certain cancers. For example, corn oil is used experimentally to promote tumor growth in some laboratory models of breast, colon, and other cancers.

Corn oil may also impair immune function. I typically recommend to my patients that they try and limit or avoid corn oil and use olive or other monounsaturated or essential fats instead.

I also recommend that they refrigerate and light-protect all oils, as most commercial oils undergo oxidation more rapidly at room temperature and with exposure to light.

Gordon Alan Saxe, MD, PhD

Hey, look at all these different oils!
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=6

neonification

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »

Well I did check that Corn Oil has 120 calories per Tbsp. Plus it mentions it can be used in salads. So I am guessing it is easily digestible without cooking.
I guess I ll just have to give it a try and see.
So just wanted to confirm this: we double our weight and drink that many number of calories in oil in one day?

neonification

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:30:10 PM »

Corn oil is high in polyunsaturated fat and tends to undergo oxidation more readily than some other oils (e.g., olive). Oxidized fats generate free radical damage to cells, a process that is implicated in various degenerative diseases, especially certain cancers. For example, corn oil is used experimentally to promote tumor growth in some laboratory models of breast, colon, and other cancers.

Corn oil may also impair immune function. I typically recommend to my patients that they try and limit or avoid corn oil and use olive or other monounsaturated or essential fats instead.

I also recommend that they refrigerate and light-protect all oils, as most commercial oils undergo oxidation more rapidly at room temperature and with exposure to light.

Gordon Alan Saxe, MD, PhD

Hey, look at all these different oils!
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=6

Oh that is kind of disturbing. Maybe Ill switch to canola oil.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 05:27:25 AM »

Definately switch to canola!  Its inexpensive (compared to eloo anyhow), and almost completely flavorless (I'm sorry ELOO enthusiasts, but it has an extremely noticeable taste for me).

And yes, a good rule of thumb is twice your weight in calories daily, though some people don't need that much (as me, I'm currently only taking 240 calories of oil a day).

neonification

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 07:01:26 PM »

Thank you for the great suggestions!

When did you guys start noticing you were losing weight? Like many people I get impatient and disheartened if I don't see results right away.
I know that is a bad thing when it comes to weight loss.
But if I knew approximately how long it took to see some kind of results, it would help me be more patient I guess :)

bloo

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 02:41:20 AM »

If I were you I would set myself a period of 6 weeks. Taking a TS of oil is inexpensive and harmless.
I have a glass of some water and walnut oil sitting next to my bed and drink it in the morning wait an hour and then take breakfast. The walnut oil is almost tasteless, so I donīt need to rinse. If you want to speed things up, take another dose before you go to bed for a week or two and see what happens.
5 ft. 5, 139 lbs. Goal weight: 136 lbs.

BarbG

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »

I started about a week ago and I take a tbsp of ELOO three times a day... I'm finding that I'm not quite as hungry all day long.

I want to live my life alive.

Kainin

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 06:35:57 AM »

Speaking for myself, I take 4 tbs of oil once a day in the morning soon after getting up. So yes, you can take the oil once a day and it will last the whole day. In fact, I find that my appetite is actually lower in the evening than the late afternoon. So the effect lasts quite a while.  That being said, its also obvious from reading through the forums that everyone is different, with some people finding it easier to spread it out and others two or three times a day. So don't be reluctant or surprised if you have to retool your routine. I'll also point out that it takes some time for your stomach to get use to the large glut of oil dropping in there. So you might want to take your first few doses during the day instead of right before bed when nausea and stomach unease might keep you up.

ATK

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »

Hi All,
I'm new (this is day 1).  Can someone please tell me what AS means?  Also, I held my nose taking the flax seed oil about an hour ago now and my mouth is STILL slippery.  I drank water.  I still kind of taste it.  It tastes fine but is it causing a flavor association?
Thanks so much.
a
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18