Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
julienuce 30 days

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: julienuce 30 days  (Read 23607 times)

julienuce

julienuce 30 days
« on: June 03, 2006, 06:36:02 PM »

I started somewhere around May 3, and got serious the next week.
start 170.5
now 162.5
I have been feeling so great and proud of my new control. Food won't rule me again (or so I thought until a setback tonight). The suppression at times is amazing, and I have been skipping meals no problem - especially dinner. I cook and eat every meal at home, and I have been making much healthier choices...just because thats what I felt like eating, rather than because I know its what I 'should' eat. (One shouldnt should all over oneself btw)
I am expecting plateaus and setbacks, as other more experienced sld'ers have written about. So far in all these 30 days I have only had one major nosh session (tonight).
My lowest adult weight was 135, but I think that is too skinny, so I am going for 145, which is good for a 5'8" 34 year old ex-olympic athlete turned overeating mom of 3 gremlins.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmlN6bV/]

[/url]

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
Re: julienuce 30 days
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 05:55:31 AM »

ex-olympic athlete

Just out of curiousity, can I ask what sport?

Glad to read your progress report.

julienuce

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »

I was an alpine skiier on the US Team from 1989-1998. If you want to know how I did you can google me at Julie Parisien. (Not trying to show off, but you may be curious. - anyway its OOOOOLLLLLDDDDD news now!!) Stephen, I have loved your posts, and I really love the lds links of yours I came across, was it on your blog? Cool stuff.

[/url]

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 04:46:25 AM »

I was an alpine skiier on the US Team from 1989-1998. If you want to know how I did you can google me at Julie Parisien. (Not trying to show off, but you may be curious. - anyway its OOOOOLLLLLDDDDD news now!!) Stephen, I have loved your posts, and I really love the lds links of yours I came across, was it on your blog? Cool stuff.

Yep, on my blog.

You would know Dave Thompson then.  He moved here from Florida and just left for Park City.  Since he left skiing he's been a helicopter pilot, Pam is a nurse who has become an attorney.  Texas didn't have much skiing, but I understand Park City does.

Hope you have success with the diet.

julienuce

Re: discouraged
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 05:36:27 PM »

I weighed in today at 161.5, which means I am coming off my plateau. Er, at least I was. I totally totally binged today, I mean off the charts 3000 calorie HUGE day. What happened is I ran out of canola oil 2 days ago and started with eloo just to mix it up a bit, and have felt no appetite suppression. yuk. I should have just stayed with what was working as I have been told to do. But, self-experimenting is fun!! I just have to be prepared for the failures that are bound to happen when you mix it up. Now I have to decide whether or not I want to keep taking the eloo and wait the few weeks for the effects to kick in (it took me 3 weeks with canola) OR if I should just go straight back to canola. I am so bummed because I waited the week and half to come off the plateau I was on, finally started to lose again, and now I have flubbed it all up. This feels very much like every other diet I have been on. Initial success and then gross reality and failure. I think I just muck things up the more I experiment. I should just stick with one thing and be consistent.

[/url]

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 06:09:04 PM »

I would go back to canola if it was working (if it ain't broke...).  I am a bit surprised that ELOO isn't working for you since Canola did. 
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 06:15:28 PM »

If you want to switch oils, try doing one teaspoon/day of the new oil at the same time you continue the old oil. Do this for a week or more. That will get your body used to -- capable of fully digesting -- the new oil. Otherwise there may be digestion problems at the beginning of the switch.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 06:46:19 PM »

If you want to switch oils, try doing one teaspoon/day of the new oil at the same time you continue the old oil. Do this for a week or more. That will get your body used to -- capable of fully digesting -- the new oil. Otherwise there may be digestion problems at the beginning of the switch.

That is what I did with Grapeseed oil and I ended up just blending it with the extra light olive oil and never making a complete transition.

Will

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »

wow, really?  Each different kind of oil can pose new digestion issues?  I guess that makes sense, but I figured once your body got used to an oil it was just used to oil and you were done.  Kind of a bummer.

Miller

• Our Lips are SLD blog
Re: discouraged
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »

I weighed in today at 161.5, which means I am coming off my plateau. Er, at least I was. I totally totally binged today, I mean off the charts 3000 calorie HUGE day. What happened is I ran out of canola oil 2 days ago and started with eloo just to mix it up a bit, and have felt no appetite suppression. yuk. I should have just stayed with what was working as I have been told to do. But, self-experimenting is fun!! I just have to be prepared for the failures that are bound to happen when you mix it up. Now I have to decide whether or not I want to keep taking the eloo and wait the few weeks for the effects to kick in (it took me 3 weeks with canola) OR if I should just go straight back to canola. I am so bummed because I waited the week and half to come off the plateau I was on, finally started to lose again, and now I have flubbed it all up. This feels very much like every other diet I have been on. Initial success and then gross reality and failure. I think I just muck things up the more I experiment. I should just stick with one thing and be consistent.

One binge day shouldn't mess you up too much, just do some extra credit stuff (go lower GI for the week, add crazy spicing, etc) over the rest of the week and eat even less, you'll average out.

julienuce

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 08:58:16 AM »

Thanks, yeah for now since canola was working I will stick with it, and after a few months (rather than just weeks) of solid results then I will take Seth's advice and add in a new oil slowly. I don't suffer from digestion issues at all (I have an iron gut), but I did get the old hunger back, and I am guessing my body takes time to adjust with each new thing.

[/url]

Jane Ann

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 10:45:10 AM »

I would go back to canola if it was working (if it ain't broke...).  I am a bit surprised that ELOO isn't working for you since Canola did. 

Canola seems to work better for me (at suppressing appetite) than eloo did.  One a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most suppressed, eloo = 6-7 canola =8

Julie, I remember your name (and your skiing) from the Olympics!  Cool.   :D

barleyblair

• Teaching the old dog some new tricks.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 09:26:26 AM »

Hi, julienuce, how's it going?  Haven't heard from you for a while -- I really count on 4 Weeks or More for inspiration.
xxx, barley blair

julienuce

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 03:27:46 PM »

I am so intermittent with my blogging - sorry! I have had a few revelations over the last couple of weeks. Since I started in early May I have lost 12.5 lbs. I feel really good about it especially since I went under 160 today for the first time in over 5 years. PSYCHED!! I realized that it takes me over a week before I fully get used to digesting a new oil (I always stick with canola, but needed to switch brands and my body seemed to think it was a 'new' oil). It takes that time before I feel any significant suppression. I have also learned that in order to really lose weight at a nice clip (1 lb a week) I have to feel hungry some of the time. If I am not feeling a bit hungry than I am not losing weight. This is why dieting is so darn hard, even with the Shangri La toolbox and better control over binge eating. I think the key is PATIENCE. A lot of poeple on this forum are rushing (ME TOO) and I believe we need to slow down and think long term (like lifetime). With patience comes the learning about what foods are triggers for a binge, and how to avoid them. I have learned what hunger really feels like, and how not to be afraid of it or give in to it. I am learning how to fill my tank with just enough food (and  with the right food) and stop after that. It takes time, and sometimes a collosal effort to resist giving in to the hunger, I won't kid anyone about that. But Shangri La makes it a lot easier!!! and uncomplicated.
Another thing I want to address is exercise. I am training for the Detroit marathon in October and have been running 30+ miles a week including one day of long run (over 6 miles and up to 15 so far), I also bike hard for an hour on my day off from running, and I also do general strength stuff at home -push ups leg ups circuit type work. I have had perfectly good energy levels, have felt great, have never bonked, all despite eating low calories and feeling occasionally hungry. In fact, I have been training my body to run on an empy stomach, and after a longer warmup than usual, I find I feel faster and stronger! Basically I am embracing the eat to live philosophy, and after a lifetime of overeating IT FEELS GREAT. So liberating. 

One more thing: I have experienced several plateaus. One was 8 days long and nearly broke me, but with patience and faith I made it through. (not to mention the helpful tips from others too!!) The key for me is to stay positive. Negative thinking = chocolate chip cookies (well, usually just the dough  :P). Funny, sounds kind of gross now.

[/url]

Will

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 04:25:21 PM »

Congratulations on getting under 160 julie!  :D

Good luck training for the marathon.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18