Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
strange brain reaction to noseclipping?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strange brain reaction to noseclipping?  (Read 5337 times)

Phoebe

strange brain reaction to noseclipping?
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:21:39 AM »

I had a very strange experience with noseclipping the other day.  I had not tried noseclipping for months and have never really done it on a regular basis.  However, I started again a few days ago and noseclipped a chocolate protein drink.  (For what it's worth, I had never had this exact drink before, either with noseclips or without.)

The noseclips seemed to be working really well, and I really couldn't taste anything, except maybe just a little sweetness.  Then all of a sudden, I tasted tortilla chips.  Then the tortilla chip taste vanished.  I often eat tortilla chips, but had not had any for at least a week or two, and there were none in my home or my consciousness.  I found the whole experience quite odd.

Is it possible that my brain, recognizing calorie intake, but unable to identify the source, just started throwing out ideas and came up with tortilla chips? 

I have had that same noseclipped protein drink again, but the subsequent drinks did not produce the same effect.  Now I can taste a little bit of the chocolate, or at least I think I can, and I wonder if I am getting the same effectiveness.

Anyway, I thought this was very peculiar, and now I wonder:  When I think I'm getting a little taste (beyond sweet, salty, sour) coming through the noseclipping, is it really the food I'm tasting, or is my brain just correctly guessing what the food would taste like if I could actually taste it?  Any thoughts?

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: strange brain reaction to noseclipping?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »

I don't know why, but when I started noseclipping I too noticed phantom flavors and smells (for me it was more smells, I'd suddenly smell disgusting BO odors or similar when nobody else could, but definately had a few phantom flavor episodes).  Like I said I don't know why it happened, but rest assured you're not alone!

Phoebe

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:10:53 PM »

Thanks, Goblyn!  "Phantom flavor episode" sounds so much nicer and more manageable than "taste hallucination."  Glad to know I have company and, presumably, have not gone off the deep end with my phantom tortilla chip episode.

Cléo Victoire

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:41:43 PM »

Has anyone had the experience of tasting intense sweetness right after noseclipping a meal?

Tonight for dinner I noseclipped while I ate a bowl of beans that had been cooked with some sausage, celery, and garlic (one of those dishes where I just cooked whatever was in the fridge). While I ate it, I noticed that the "sweet" section of my tastebuds was reacting. This came as a surprise. I was still hungry and went on to eat an apple (sans noseclips), the flavor/sweetness of which had intensified. I went on to fry an egg to eat with some soy and sriracha -- I didn't get any of the usual savory/umami flavors that I usually get from this snack (also without noseclips).

Any guesses/thoughts as to what's going on? If this is even related to the noseclipping? For what it's worth, this is not my first time noseclipping.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18