sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The wonderful thing about SLD is that you don't have to actually restrict yourself.  There has never been a point during the last 6 months where I felt like I was being restricted in what I could eat.  I have been eating healthier, for sure, but that's a side effect of the AS for me, not because I'm trying to avoid "bad" foods.  And there are plenty of times when I eat the same old crap I always used to eat, just much much much less of it! -- goblyn

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fats and immune system  (Read 2534 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Fats and immune system
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:57:20 am »

I found this bit at
http://www.realsimple.com/health/preventative-health/boost-immunity-00000000006359/index.html

High-fat diets can make your immune system “less functional and more sluggish,” says Simin Nikbin Meydani, Ph.D., the associate director of the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, at Tufts University, in Boston. In fact, a Tufts study compared the effects on immune function of a typical Western diet (containing 38 percent fat) to those of a cholesterol-lowering diet (28 percent fat) and discovered that the lower-fat diet enhanced the functioning of T lymphocytes (or T cells), which help ward off infections. Aim to get 25 to 30 percent of your total daily calories from fat, with most of those coming from monounsaturated fats (found in olive oil, avocados, and peanut butter) and polyunsaturated fats (think sunflower and corn oils, salmon, and walnuts). Limit saturated fats (such as those in whole milk, butter, and high-fat meats) and trans fats (which are listed on labels as partially hydrogenated oils).

How bad is this for us, guys? I don't know my daily calories intake from fat, at least 20% comes from my SLD oil. Plus milk, cheese, butter, the occasional ice cream, french fries  :oops: etc... I have more than 30% I guess. Fortunately, most of it is MUFAs and PUFAs (funny acronyms huh)  :D but I'm still worried of my immune system being less functional and more sluggish.
Not that i've had any infections lately mind you.
Also this is a bit the opposite of the other article enhancing the qualities of whole milk...
 :?
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: Fats and immune system
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:03:21 am »

Well I can honestly say that in the time that I've been on SLD I haven't gotten any sinus infections (I used to spend most of the spring and early summer with a sinus infection thanks to my allergies, that of course, could be unrelated), and the only other problems I've had were the occasional stomach issue (probably diet related), and the cold I had a few weeks ago, but hey, I have little kids, I'm lucky I don't have chicken pox and strep throat and every other disease known to man right now thanks to my little germ factories!

I take every single report about fat levels you should intake with a grain of salt, because for every report that says they're bad, there's another that says they're good.  Its ridiculous, and I basically chalk it up to nobody knowing for sure exactly what we should all eat. 

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 10:51:04 am »

i agree with goblyn.

i have been feeling way better since starting 'protein power' = low carb higher protein and fats.

and what else did they eat??  i read somewhere that eating fats with carbs isn't good. fat with protein is fine. 

goblyn

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 11:14:09 am »

LOL nougat, I just recently read an article about how eating fat with carbs is better for you than eating carbs all by themselves!  It just goes to show how:

1.  You can literally take any hypothesis and prove your hypothesis is correct, even if you are directly contradicting something someone has already stated because:
2.  Nobody knows the truth behind how our bodies work, how diet affects our bodies and health or, indeed, what the "healthiest" diet is. 

For my own personal eating habits, I just try to eat things that naturally occur more than things that are created through the wonders of chemistry, and stick to that.  Sure, saturated fat, if its in the form of say, Crisco, is probably the worst thing you can eat.  But saturated fat, in the form of animal fat...well, assuming you think its natural for humans to eat meat, the fat would be naturally ingested as well too. 

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:32:02 pm »

you're right goblyn.   :)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 02:41:16 am »

You're right, no use worrying about studies. My old mainstream trust in studies keeps coming to the surface but really they mean next to nothing. The fact is, apart from a little cold once or twice I've been OK since I started SLD...
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:34:50 am »

Really, I think the biggest boon to my immune system has been losing weight, plain and simple, regardless of method!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18