Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
whole milk vs lowfat

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: whole milk vs lowfat  (Read 8860 times)

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
whole milk vs lowfat
« on: September 02, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »

interesting...

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/why-whole-milk-is-the-healthiest-choice.html

also, you might follow the link provided in that article and read the more lengthy Weight-Loss Rules to Rethink

"Forget what you've been told. Forget what you think you know. Start breaking the rules, and you might just start making some headway."  8)
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: whole milk vs lowfat
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 07:11:34 AM »

Wow both of those articles were really interesting!

I have a friend who is very pro-breastfeeding, and she tailors her diet to be similar in nutritional complexity as her breastfed babies diets are.  She literally eats the equivalent of a stick of butter a day, uses coconut oil like its going out of style, drinks whole milk, etc...  And she's very skinny.  Granted her breastfeeding could play a part, but I think her very high fat, whole foods diet is why she's like that.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 07:16:21 AM »

I liked both articles too.

I breastfed my daughter and it didn't help my weight at all.
Although I only gained 14lbs with her, I could have stood to lose some more.

I remember them telling me to only give my daughter 2% milk or higher until she was at least 2 yrs old, because the fat content helps brain development.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

goblyn

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:26:36 AM »

Yeah, that's what we were told as well with my kids.

I was talking to my coworkers about the milk article, and one of the ladies here brought up a good point.  It makes more sense to drink whole milk entirely from a calorie perspective.  The calories difference between whole and skim is definately large, but the likelihood that you'll end up drinking as much whole milk as you will skim milk is pretty low.  She drinks lots of milk, and she said that when she drinks whole, which she does once in a while, she'll have about a coffee mug sized amount (I'll estimate, maybe 6 ounces) and that satisfies her and any more than that she actually starts to get grossed out by the milk.  But when she has skim milk she will go through several large glasses in a meal (maybe 24 ounces)  So with skim she's had 240 calories, with whole she's getting 108 calories.  That's actually probably even more than that, since she says she has BIG glasses of skim milk.  So sure, its loaded with fat, but what are the chances you'll drink a whole gallon of it in a day?  So even if you're just strictly worried about calories, I'd say that whole milk makes more sense.

I'm totally going to tell my bf about this so he'll go to this dairy near where he works and bring home some fresh whole milk.  I don't know if I'll be able to drink my morning shake w/ whole milk (though I could easily just omit the whipping cream...duh!), but it will be an experiment.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 12:42:07 PM »

I really do not like the flavor of whole milk.
Neither does my daughter.  She is grossed out by 2% even.  She has to have 1/2%.
She says high fat milk all tastes sour to her.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

goblyn

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »

LOL, I wasn't raised on whole or anything, but I find that skim milk tastes way more sour than whole.  I never just drink milk striaght (unless I have cookies, and even then the milk is for dunking!), and usually have it either flavored (which is of course bad for you sugar) or with cereal (so it tastes like cereal) or in my shake (where it has no flavor at all).  So I figure the little bit of milk I do take in daily, what's in my shake, can't really hurt to do whole instead of skim, after all I'm putting cream in my shake, so I can just skip the cream and go with the whole milk and still probably save some calories, all while getting the nutritional benefits of the whole milk!

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »

i returned to good old whole milk for all the family years ago after i had read that its good for men's prostates.

also consider that whole milk has less carbs than skimmed.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »

oh I started this thread and never gave my opinion which is: I did switch to lowfat in my age of lowfat frenzy, but gave it up one year ago maybe, because it didn't fill me up and I had to drink a lot!
Like you know "light " cigarettes - my friends who smoked those had to smoke 2 or 3 in  a row  :lol: just one wasn't satisfying.
What i didn't know, or maybe I came across but didn't pay attention, was, the claim that the calcium and vitamins in skimmed milk are totally useless, because without the fat they are just simply not absorbed!!!
Still the general recommendation for weigh control is low fat.... :?
Also I didn't know even whole milk isn't really whole, as cow's milk is 4+% fat. Pasteurized and homogenized seem to be too much tampering too.
Hmmmm.
I need to buy a cow!
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 12:14:51 AM »

moooo! :lol:

i switched  to whole milk etc ages ago too.

also there's more carbs in lo-fat milk.

how can you not have pasturized?? (except your own cow :) )  also don't you risk getting brucellosis?

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 06:34:58 AM »

The point is, I never saw raw milk for sale here.
There is a "milk of the day", I think it's not the same
Well, I don't think pasteurized is that bad. Thou I use ultra-pasteurized!  :shock:

goblyn

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:46:48 AM »

I've never seen non-pasteurized milk either, come to think of it, I don't think I've even seen non-homogonized milk either.

Anyways, I've made the switch to whole milk.  I'm finding that its a hell of a lot more satisfying to drink smaller amounts of whole milk than it is to drink larger amounts of skim milk.  And my SLD shake gives me the same AS on less calories, which is wonderful!

falconcy

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 10:45:08 PM »

The only reason I buy skimmed is so that I can "whip" it up and make a nice froth for a latte. The skimmed variety makes a better froth than the full fat.
A legend in his own lunch hour

sdeshwood

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 03:05:35 PM »

Oh I have always been in the whole fat camp, but these days I tend to just use cream- it's the best!  Besides, I only really ever use it for cooking or splashing in coffee. . .delish!

Goblyn- I like the sound of your high-fat friend's diet!  That's kind of what I've been trending towards these days but I think I'll reserve eating the stick of butter for when I have babies and need to nurse!

falconcy

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 11:48:02 PM »

I'm going through withdrawal symptoms now for "Gold Top" - it's milk made from Jersey/Guernsey breeds of cows I used to get in the UK. It has a much higher cream content than full fat milk.
A legend in his own lunch hour
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18