Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
A new "noseclipping" method, may not be suitable for the extremely squeamish!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A new "noseclipping" method, may not be suitable for the extremely squeamish!  (Read 15176 times)

Maychi

After over 2 years of following the SLD developments on this forum (I seem to have spent over two weeks logged in† :shock:, but now at last I know it was worth it), trying all the main methods Ė sugar, various oils and noseclipping, I have finally arrived at a way that is actually producing a result.

Iíve always found Heidiís story fascinating and inspiring. However, no matter how much I tried, I just couldnít noseclip Ė it felt uncomfortable, I couldnít breathe and chew at the same time, my DH and DD wouldnít go anywhere near me when I had my noseclip on Ė† but I always felt that eating normal food and somehow messing with the flavour would be the only method I could do and not feel that it's too much bother or that Iím somehow harming myself. I know thereís crazy spicing, but that seems like way too much work for me and anyway, the range of spices I can get here is very limited and Iíd soon be eating ditto, whatever I did.

A few weeks ago, IndianGirl posted about her new way of noseclipping Ė tying a handkerchief around her nose. I tried it and found it even less doable than noseclipping (sorry IG† :)). What I liked about this method, however, was that IG said she could still breathe through the hanky. Around that time Heidi said sheíd been thinking about making some sort of a nose patch and I was very hopeful† :D :D, but she never seemed to get around to doing it and so I had to try it myself† :D. I wanted to come up with something that would be as invisible as possible. The only skin coloured material I had at home were my knee-high socks and tights (panty hose). So I cut and hemmed a little triangular patch for my nostrils and attached to it some thin round elastic to go around my years or my head. It still looked awful and there was no way my DD and DH would let me sit at a family meal with that on. As I was trying to make it as small and invisible as possible, I stuffed the edges of the triangle into my nose and then suddenly it dawned on me that I could use bits of the same material and actually stuff them into my nose. Yes, if youíre very squeamish, you may want to stop reading at this point as it is a bit gross in a way, but I donít mind. My first attempt was very OTT, I put so much stuffing in that I couldnít breathe through my nose and it looked all distended and lopsided, arousing concerned questions :D. I decided to use much less material the next time, although that meant letting through much more flavour, but I thought something was better than nothing.

I started this on the 1st August. After about five days I got an AS I had never managed to achieve with sugar or oil or anything else. Iím not one of those who want to eat once a day and be done with it. Why I liked Heidiís story so much was that she said she eats a lot more than most people on the forum. Thatís what I wanted. I just love food and everything connected with it and the only thing that had saved me from putting on more weight in the past was the fact that I eat quite healthy, unprocessed food, just a little too much of it and with too many Ďoccasionalí treats of the chocolate, biscuit and cake variety. I now still eat three square meals a day and sometimes snacks in-between. I can taste the food and would be able to tell you exactly what Iím eating and whatís in it if blindfolded. But that top-note, to use a perfume analogy, that more-ish characteristic in the flavour of the food just isnít there and I soon get tired of what Iím eating and am literally forced to stop (this is something Iíd never experienced before and couldnít even imagine ever feeling, weíre dealing with a woman here who, however full, used to steal food off her familyís plates as soon as there was any indication that its owner was no longer that interested in it! :shock: :shock: :shock:). I do get hungry, but only sometimes. I eat less than before, but still more than most people on this forum. I eat anything I want, but donít have any cravings and rarely eat what I shouldnít eat. I sometimes just for the hell of it say to myself Iím going to have some ice cream, or cake or something of that ilk, but this ridiculously childish voice in me starts whining Ďbut we donít want it!í. And if I do have something like that I think, well, it isnít really worth it, that special x factor just doesnít seem to be there. I eat all the main meals with my nose stuffed, except breakfast which I noseclip because Iím eating on my own and sticking a clip on is quicker and easier than putting in the stuffing, besides, I was noseclipping breakfast even before and itís become a habit. I do sometimes have some fruit and nuts without blocking my nose.

And here I hear you say Ďwill you stop going on and get to the point - are you actually losing weight?í. YES, I FINALLY AM. My trousers are getting really loose. Whereas in the past fat would initially disappear from my top half, which is thin anyway, and not budge from the waist down until my face and torso got ridiculously skinny (I carry all of the wretched few pounds I would so like to offload between my waist and knees). But now suddenly it seems to be going from my legs and bum more, which is nothing short of a miracle. The scales (showing only about a pound or two down) donít quite reflect the loss I see in the mirror and in my clothes , but I donít really care about the number on the scales, I just want to feel good when I look in the mirror and when I go clothes shopping. Besides, I'm a T-tapper and they all supposedly weigh more than non-tappers in the same clothes size. I have to say that even if I wasnít losing, Iíd still want to carry on doing this at least some of the time because of this wonderful peace about food I finally feel. Not to want chocolate even before TOM is just such an amazing feeling!!!

Will it continue? I donít know, but Iím hopeful. Those photos Heidi posted recently were so inspirational and that is exactly what I want and for the first time in my life every cell in my body agrees that it just may be possible.

I feel I should add a warning here :D. Iím aware that this method has a slight danger associated with it: if you were to take a fast, deep breath-in with your mouth full (e.g. when laughing or coughing) you may inhale either some food or the nose stuffing itself. For a while, I was inserting such small pieces of the material that I seriously worried about inhaling them (can you imagine the horror of appearing at the casualty department and having to explain why you have bits of tights stuck up your nose† :shock: ). I now use slightly bigger bits (maybe one and a half square centimetre, but I suppose it really depends on the size of the nose). Thereís also the danger of exhaling through your nose quickly for some reason and the stuffing flying out, preferably into someone elseís face or plate† :roll:† :shock: :roll:. So if someone should decide to try this method, make sure you are VERY, VERY CAREFUL and aware of whatís going on in your nose when eating and breathing!!!!!!!!!

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn

Hmm...you know I'm amazed nobody has tried this before!  It makes so much sense!  And you could even do it in public, and if someone saw it and commented you could just say you had a runny nose!  LOL!

You could theoretically do this with anything, I'm thinking of just good old cotton balls, since they are sterile (at least when first packaged), natural, and at worst, look like white boogers stuck in your nose.  Plus I've had experience jamming these up my nose before having had all sorts of allergy issues and different methods of dealing with it, including putting an herbal formula on a cotton ball and jamming said cotton ball in my nostril.

Though I have big nostrils (to illustrate this point in the most graphic way possible, someone dared me to see how many quarters I could stick in my nostril, and I think I was able to easily fit 4 in each one, and probably could have done more but I accidentally yanked a hair out while doing so and had to stop due to the searing pain inside my nose lol) so maybe regular people can only handle half a cotton ball...

Heidi 555

Congratulations Maychi! †I'm so happy to hear that you got this to work and have found peace around food and eating. †It's been great to find out through you and IndianGirl that nose clipping doesn't have to be 100% flavorless in order to work. †Thanks for your compliments about my pictures. †

Around that time Heidi said sheíd been thinking about making some sort of a nose patch and I was very hopeful, but she never seemed to get around to doing it and so I had to try it myself.
:D I still plan on doing this, but maybe I'll give it up once I try your nose stuffing technique. †

I had tried using foam ear plugs but those didn't work so well. †Also someone (maybe it was Darkhorse/minuet?) mentioned using moistened pieces of tissue. †Maybe that would need less explanation if you ended up inhaling it and had to go to the ER. †

Have you tried any other types of fabric? †I have some old panty hose that I cut up to use as a covering for my kombucha. †I'll cut some pieces and give it a try. †Nose stuffing instead of clipping.

Maybe we could make and market miniature nostril tampons with transparent dangling threads. †They would be so cute!
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Maychi

I have tried cotton wool, but find that it's too clumpy for me (I do have pretty small nostrils), it just sits there all bulky and mine didn't want to come out. I've also tried with tissue, moist and dry, but it didn't seem to work as well. Foamy ear plugs were a total disaster, couldn't get them out (well, I did eventually, but it took a long time and I really panicked). The beauty of this material is that it's soft and kind of spreads out and serves as a membrane. Initially I tried to remove as much of the flavour as possible, but found out that I actually get better AS if there's quite a bit of flavour and just that special something missing. When I noseclipped a lot, my body wasn't happy at all and in fact I felt like eating more. I do sometimes worry about the stuffing giving me an infection and I do wash the tights well before cutting them up. And anyway, kids will stick filthy fingers up their nose without any damage, a bit of dirt never did no harm, as they say.  :?

Yes, it is very portable. When I go out, I slip into the washroom to "wash my hands" before the meal and after I either just gently blow the bits into a tissue or, if it's a very quiet place, again disappear into the bathroom to do it (blowing the stuffing out does make a sort of a plopping noise  :?).

And yes, if I was more entrepreneurial I'd start making these and selling them  :lol:. Your version, Heidi, with the dangling string, sounds particularly appealing  :lol:.

But thank you both, Goblyn and Heidi, for your positive comments about my method, I was a bit worried about the reception it would get.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn

Well I've always thought that SLD would be more attractive to people if there was a bunch of stupid stuff you had to buy to do the diet (like how on Weight Watchers you have all these books and charts and food diaries and stuff to buy, or how on south beach you have to go shopping for special cookies and frozen foods), I think people just enjoy buying things lol.  So I say nose tampons should definately be included in the "advanced" SLD kit.  For men, perhaps the nose tampons could be called nose warriors or nostril soldiers or xtreme nasal filters or some other "manly" sounding term (since most men probably don't really want to buy things called tampons for their own use, I personally would just be amused by it). 

So the basic kit could have preportioned ELOO or SW doses and a stop watch to time the flavor free window.  The advanced kit could have that plus nose tampons (or alternatively xtreme nasal filters), and premade SLD approved spice blends for crazy spicing.  Then maybe there could be a super advanced kit with all that plus premade oil milk and some various fermented foods!

Just remember Seth, I want credit for the male nasal plug naming!  :lol:

Maychi

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Heidi 555

Initially I tried to remove as much of the flavour as possible, but found out that I actually get better AS if there's quite a bit of flavour and just that special something missing.
Thanks for clarifying this.  That's great that just dampening the flavor a bit works so well.   

I was afraid to put some really small piece of cloth in my nose.  I used a bigger piece that stuck out and it was more uncomfortable than nose clips.  It would be great if there were nasal filters that you could choose how much smell/flavor you wanted them to filter out.   
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

IndianGirl

Nice trick, Maychi.† †8)

Quote:
nose clipping doesn't have to be 100% flavorless in order to work.

I actually get better AS if there's quite a bit of flavour and just that special something missing. When I noseclipped a lot, my body wasn't happy at all and in fact I felt like eating more.

When I nose-block, I think what actually happens is that:

1. The decrease in the intensity of flavours experienced makes the food somewhat bland--enough to produce AS.
2. The blockage of some flavours (while other flavours get through) gives a crazy spicing effect, leading to AS.
3. AS on SLD is cumulative, so though the AS effect may be low first few days, over a period of days this incremental daily AS builds up to leave you feeling satiated most of the day.

So, nose-clips=flavourless food leading to AS
nose-blocking= crazy spicing leading to AS/ flavour intensity decreases leading to bland food that gives AS/low flavour food eg raisins become completely flavourless leading to AS.

Since AS is cumulative, so both nose-clipping and nose-blocking lead to same intensity of AS over a period of time. So, over a period of time, the effect of nose-clipping and nose-blocking is same, but nose-blocking is much more easier to do and also due to some flavour creep, nose-blocking does not leave u feeling deprived, unlike nose-clipping...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:39:46 AM by IndianGirl »

Maychi

I think your concise explanation, IG, is spot on. The only thing that worries me about you saying that blocking the nose makes a food less familiar or crazy spiced is that the effect may slowly wear off if I eat the same foods. But I suppose the effectiveness of my filters varies a lot, as does the amount of breathing through my nose as opposed to through my mouth. So I hope the foods will keep being unfamiliar and that my AS will continue. I feel as if I may have jinxed it by posting about it on the forum - I've been feeling hungrier yesterday and today  :(. It could be my set point resisting to go any lower.

Heidi, I was afraid of putting anything in my nose as well at first, but now I'm quite used to it. As long as you don't ram it too far in, you can quite easily blow it out again or fish it out with your fingers (a less desireable option :)). And yes, different strength filters would be good, but you can partly regulate the amount of flavour also by where you direct your exhales. Blocking my nose is actually helping me with bubble-nosing (I think that's the term VK uses) and sometimes if I'm having something little, I just make sure I exhale through my mouth or ensure that the back of my throat is kind of closed when I exhale through the nose.

IndianGirl

The only thing that worries me about you saying that blocking the nose makes a food less familiar or crazy spiced is that the effect may slowly wear off if I eat the same foods.

Most of the food I eat is home-cooked, so I think in my case each time the food has some degree of variation, which is further heightened by nose-blocking...so I am not really concerned that the unfamiliarity will wear off.

[quote author=Maychi link=topic=7254.msg90371

I feel as if I may have jinxed it by posting about it on the forum - I've been feeling hungrier yesterday and today  :(. It could be my set point resisting to go any lower.

From what I have read, if your weight has dropped below your set-point, you will be hungry. (Karky often explains this, I hope she chimes in). So, if you are hungry now, it simply means your weight has dipped significantly. In such case, increase your flavourless calories...simply eat more food with nose blocked. In think you could combine your nose-blocking method with having 300-400 flavourless calories such as oil maybe twice a week...I personally feel sticking to one SLD trick as well as supplementing sometimes (maybe twice a week) with other SLD tricks keeps AS strong.

Maychi

It would be a bit difficult for me to increase SLD calories as I now noseblock at least 95% of the calories I take in, most days everything I eat is blocked. The only dilemma here is do I resist the hunger or do I eat (noseblocked, obviously) enough to satisfy it. I'd like to think the second option wouldn't stop the weight loss, but I fear it may  :D :D. I suppose I could try adding totally flavorless calories, but really don't want to go down the oil line again, it messed with my hormones too much, I've tried xylitol and the initial slight effect soon wore off. I'm not really that worried as I'm not that hungry and, come to think, I may actually be legitimately hungry as I've eaten very little. I know appetite and consequently AS vary, as long as I keep up what I'm doing, it will eventually produce the results I want. If it takes a year, so be it, I don't mind.

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!

Maychi, I would eat a little more and satisfy the hunger.  Keep doing it noseblocked, and it should be fine.  You have the patience to wait out this settling at a new lower setpoint.  The weight may not drop for a few days or weeks, but it probably won't go back up either.  Just keep on keeping on.

T-Vix

VeganKitten

you can partly regulate the amount of flavour also by where you direct your exhales. Blocking my nose is actually helping me with bubble-nosing (I think that's the term VK uses) and sometimes if I'm having something little, I just make sure I exhale through my mouth or ensure that the back of my throat is kind of closed when I exhale through the nose.

That's a good explanation of what I do. I just had a peanut-butter-whole-wheat-tortilla roll-up, and it was 'delicious' but I never tasted a hint of peanut flavor! I'm getting pretty good at this.  8)

Maychi

Tek, thanks for the words of encouragement! That is exactly what I feel inclined to do.

VK, yes, I feel I may eventually be able to do away with props and just bubble-nose. But I'll need a lot more breathing practice! Have you mastered simultaneous eating and talking whilst bubble nosed ? I think that's my biggest problem. But when we've truly mastered it, we could start running classes and earn a fortune (obviously we'd have to give Seth a percentage!) 8).

ELISAVET 4

Re: A new "noseclipping" method, may not be suitable for the extremely squeamish!
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »

Hey Maychi,
I was very happy to read your post and it really inspired me. I did SLD 18 months ago and I did loose around 5 kilos (I live in Greece). I just couldn't keep doing the oil as I'd get an upset stomach, so I simply stopped. No need to say that I gained my 5 plus 3 more kilos so went up to around 70 kilos (that is 145 lbs.) I read Heidi555  post about noseclipping and I tried noseclipping but because of my allergie (sinus) I just couldn't do it for each meal I had. So I gave that up too. And, finally,  I read your post about 10 days ago. I cut my panty hoses into small pieces, I started putting one piece in my nostrils. I didn't use the panty method in every meal of the day, just the most fattening ones. I even did the "panties" with my large bowl of ice cream. I could still feel the flavour and smell the food I ate, so I wasn't really sure it was working. I (like you) love to eat. You know somebody asked me the other day which was my worse food. You know I was surprised to discover that I don't really have a "hate" food. I eat everything. So I did your method and now I am 1 kilo less. I really don't want to say it out loud cause I think I'm going to jinx it, but it's true. However you haven't updated so I would like to know: Is it still working for you, or does this method have an "expiring date". Please inform, and by the way EFHARISTO (THANK YOU).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18