Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Post-Menopausal Women-Help for Spare Tire

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Post-Menopausal Women-Help for Spare Tire  (Read 51278 times)

jubilation

Post-Menopausal Women-Help for Spare Tire
« on: August 22, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »

Hello again, everyone, Oldie, here.

While I have observed that those most active here seem to be younger than I am (I’m 63), I have to believe that there are many post-menopausal women who are perhaps lurking, and feeling left out.  I posted here last Fall on my experiences with SLD and have never stopped using it. For more than a year, I had kept off the 15 or so pounds that had been keeping me from being my best.  However, this summer brought even more than the usual number of guests to our home (there were ten extra people staying here at one point), along with the usual parties, wine, desserts, dinners out, etc., and way too much rich food in the house.  Even one month after it had more or less settled down and normal life had returned, I was horrified to find that I had weight around the middle that wanted to stay, no matter what I did.  SLD seemed to be working in that I really had little appetite, but in spite of exercise and weight training, it seemed stuck!

I am more than aware that after menopause, women are apt to lose muscle while, at the same time, body fat accumulates around their middles.

I decided to take a fresh look at something I had tried before, though sort of half-heartedly: CLA-conjugated linoleic acid.  CLA is made from Safflower oil, and I had always meant to investigate this more closely to see if Safflower oil itself could be used instead of CLA, which is expensive.

This interesting new study
  http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/bodycomp.htm

appears to show that the dietary oils CLA and Safflower oil can help fight this "spare tire", even in women who have diabetes.

An excerpt:  ( you should really read the article on the study, it's more complete).

The study involved 35 women who were considered obese based on body mass index.
The women were randomly divided into two groups to determine which oil supplement they took first – to see if there were different effects from different dietary oils in the same woman.  There was a sixteen week period for each oil.
The daily dose of either oil was about 1⅔ teaspoons.

Despite the fact there was no dieting or exercising, the study found that CLA supplementation significantly decreased the women's BMI and total body fat. On average their total body fat decreased by 3.2 percent, reducing the weight of excess fat tissue between 2.3 pounds and 3.5 pounds.

While the safflower oil didn't change total body fat readings, in some ways this all vegetable "good fat" was the biggest star of the research. It reduced the weight of trunk fat tissue
  [that’s my area] by between 2.6 pounds and 4.2 pounds -- an average of more than six percent. What's more, safflower oil increased lean tissue, or muscle, by about two to three pounds.

Five weeks ago, I replaced my SLD dose of 2 tablespoons of ELOO with just 1⅔ teaspoons Safflower oil, as per the study.  I can’t believe it!  After three weeks I could see that my spare tire was shrinking, even though I made no other changes.  Such a small amount of oil, and it seems to be all I need for this effect, as well as for appetite suppression.  Who knew?

Even though the study is about post-menopausal women, If I had known about  this 15 years ago I certainly would have tried it.  And, like SLD, it is not a quick fix, but definitely steadily effective for the long haul, and so easy.  My mistake when I had tried CLA earlier was not giving it enough time or attention. Although, I wonder if it is possible that it is most effective on post-meno fat? Anyway, Safflower oil is much cheaper and apparently more effective.  And since I eat no processed foods at all, I have practically no other source of Omega 6 in my diet.

I don't see why this would not be helpful for others with fat around the middle.

m.c.

• Pluckychickenheart
Re: Post-Menopausal Women-Help for Spare Tire
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:51:45 AM »

Thank You so much for that post and your experimentation. I'll be 42 in another week and while my weight is fine I have watched every year since turning 38 the redistribution of said weight more towards my middle. And this in spite of vigorous exercise, Olive/Canola oil and a basically sound diet.

I'm going to the market today and I'm grabbing some safflower oil. The CLA capsules are so darn expensive I never invested. :D
Have arrived at the new Normal.

leea

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »

This is interesting... will have to try this using the safflower oil... but can you tell me how to measure 2/3 of a teaspoon?   :D

jubilation

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:53:20 AM »

m.c., thank you for your reply.  And though you are just 42, well I hate to say it, but 63 just seemed to happen overnight.  I started menopause at age 51, but I know many who started earlier.

Yes, this insidious waistline spread is depressing, but I refuse to believe it is inevitable, and fight it all the time.  Exercise and some weight work is critical. My own mother, 86, is of that generation that believed you are old at 50, so might as well give up trying.  Not me!  Most people assume I am in my forties (well, maybe late forties or early fifties?).  Although I never lie about my age, I don’t go out of my way to announce that “I am 63, and see how good I look.?”  I cringe when people do that.

I use high-oleic organic Safflower oil from the health food store.  With such a tiny amount needed, it is worth it.  I feel there is really something to this, and, like SLD itself, there is no point in being impatient.  In the study, results became apparent in the last half of the sixteen-week periods. It is best to develop your own regular little routine that becomes an automatic part of your life.  I also find it intriguing that I can blend the SLD method with this idea and get double benefit.  Jackpot!

Leea, I use a tiny measuring cup that I think came with some cough syrup and measure to just under 2 teaspoons, or just under 10 ml.  I think you can be approximate here.

leea

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 12:31:03 PM »

Oh darn... I just came in the door from Krogers and this is the kind of Safflower Oil I bought.. (its the only kind they had there) Hollywood enriched expeller pressed Safflower Oil ....... do you think this will be ok or should I head across town to the health food store?????

leea

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:35:16 PM »

This Safflower Oil is also mentioned here... http://www.realage.com/ct/eat-smart/food-and-nutrition/tip/9237

jubilation

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »

Oh darn... I just came in the door from Krogers and this is the kind of Safflower Oil I bought.. (its the only kind they had there) Hollywood enriched expeller pressed Safflower Oil ....... do you think this will be ok or should I head across town to the health food store?????

Leea, I didn’t mean to sound like I was dictating which oil to use.  The study only mentioned Safflower oil and I don't think it specified any kind in particular.  I’m sure the kind you have is just fine, in fact, it seems better than that which is available in regular stores where I live.

I hope you find that this is something helpful to you.

leea

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 04:24:46 PM »

No, I didnt think that you were dictating on the oil... I got concerned thinking maybe I needed a special kind... lol   I will use the one I bought and next time will stop in the health store and see what they have to offer.....  you have been most helpful...  ;)   

m.c.

• Pluckychickenheart
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 05:07:06 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:I just bought the Hollywood brand too. Its all the store had. But I'll peruse Whole Foods next time I'm there as well.
Have arrived at the new Normal.

shovelqueen

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 05:33:49 PM »

I have a bottle of CLA sitting in a cupboard that I just haven't gotten around to opening yet.  I have such a mental block against taking anything that I can never seem to stay with supplements for any length of time. 

Maybe I'll pull it out and take at least the first bottle.  Any idea of CLA dosages to use?

"Strength, balance, joy!"

jubilation

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 11:38:21 AM »

I have a bottle of CLA sitting in a cupboard that I just haven't gotten around to opening yet.  I have such a mental block against taking anything that I can never seem to stay with supplements for any length of time. 

Maybe I'll pull it out and take at least the first bottle.  Any idea of CLA dosages to use?

sorry to be late getting back to you shovelqueen

In the study, discussed here    http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/bodycomp.htm
and here,  http://www.naturalnews.com/026599_body_fat_weight_loss_health.html
Dr. Martha Belury, professor of human nutrition at Ohio State University and senior author of the study, says that “the dose of either oil taken each day was approximately 1⅔ teaspoons, in order to get 6.4 grams of each oil’s active fatty acid:linoleic acid in Safflower oil and, in CLA”

She also says that “This is the first study to show that such a modest amount of a linoleic acid-rich oil may have a profound effect on body composition in women”.

However, assuming each capsule is ¼ tsp (10 calories) you would need 4 just for one teaspoon.  About 7 or 8 capsules a day.  That could cost around $40 a month, at least at the prices I paid.  That’s why I was so interested in the Safflower oil.  Very cheapo!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:34:27 AM by jubilation »

IndianGirl

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:10:43 PM »

Hi jubilation, thanks for posting this very very interesting article.

I was wondering...
does the oil have to be cold-pressed?
can it be refined, or should it be unrefined?

I do not get safflower oil here  :x except in blended form, where safflower is just 20% of the blend, so I dont want to use it.

I am wondering if its ok to use sunflower oil instead of safflower oil (as I will get pure sunflower oil).

As per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linoleic_acid

Dietary Sources
Name    % LA†    ref.
Safflower Oil    78%    
Grape Seed Oil    73%    
Poppy Seed Oil    70%    
Sunflower Oil    68%    
Hemp Oil    60%    
Corn Oil    59%    
Wheat Germ Oil    55%    
Cottonseed Oil    54%    
Soybean Oil    51%    
Walnut Oil    51%    
Peanut Oil    48%    
Sesame Oil    45%    
Rice Bran Oil    39%    
Pistachio Oil    32.7%    
Canola Oil    21%    
Egg Yolk    16%    
Lard    10%    
Olive Oil    10%    
Palm Oil    10%    
Cocoa Butter    3%    
Macadamia Oil    2%    
Butter    2%    
Coconut Oil    2%    

I suppose sunflower is an ok substitute...?
Anyone with good experience in belly fat reduction using sunflower oil...?

IndianGirl

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 12:17:59 AM »

In the absence of safflower oil, I think i will go with sesame oil in light of the following:

Based on above chart, sesame oil has half the linoleic acid as safflower oil.

But it has a host of other benefits:

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/jmf.2005.8.377

The present study was carried out to assess the influence of sesame oil on blood glucose, lipid peroxidation, and status of antioxidants in normal and streptozotocin (STZ) diabetic rats. Diabetes was induced in adult female albino Wistar rats weighing 180–200 g by administration of STZ (40 mg/kg of body weight) intraperitonially. Both normal and diabetic rats were fed with a commercial diet containing 2% oil supplemented with 6% sesame oil for 42 days. Diabetic rats had elevated levels of blood glucose (322.61 ± 9.49 mg/dL), glycosylated hemoglobin, vitamin E, thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBARS), and lipid hydroperoxides and decreased levels of hemoglobin, vitamin C, and reduced glutathione (GSH). An increase in glucose-6-phosphatase and fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase activities and a decrease in hexokinase activity were observed in liver and kidney tissues. When diabetic rats fed with sesame oil were compared with diabetic rats, a significant reduction in levels of blood glucose (222.02 ± 8.27 mg/dL), glycosylated hemoglobin, TBARS, and lipid hydroperoxides and glucose-6-phosphatase and fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase activities and an elevation in hemoglobin, vitamin E, and GSH levels and hexokinase activity were observed. Thus, sesame oil consumption influences beneficially the blood glucose, glycosylated hemoglobin, lipid peroxidation, and antioxidant levels in diabetic rats.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1942178

The study was undertaken to investigate the effect of sesame oil in hypertensive patients who were on antihypertensive therapy either with diuretics (hydrochlorothiazide) or ß-blockers (atenolol). Thirty-two male and 18 female patients aged 35 to 60 years old were supplied sesame oil (Idhayam gingelly oil) and instructed to use it as the only edible oil for 45 days. Blood pressure, anthropometry, lipid profile, lipid peroxidation, and enzymic and non-enzymic antioxidants were measured at baseline and after 45 days of sesame oil substitution. Substitution of sesame oil brought down systolic and diastolic blood pressure to normal. The same patients were asked to withdraw sesame oil consumption for another 45 days, and the measurements were repeated at the end of withdrawal period. Withdrawal of sesame oil substitution brought back the initial blood pressure values. A significant reduction was noted in body weight and body mass index (BMI) upon sesame oil substitution. No significant alterations were observed in lipid profile except triglycerides. Plasma levels of sodium reduced while potassium elevated upon the substitution of sesame oil. Lipid peroxidation (thiobarbituric acid reactive substances [TBARS]) decreased while the activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), and the levels of vitamin C, vitamin E, ß-carotene, and reduced glutathione (GSH) were increased. The results suggested that sesame oil as edible oil lowered blood pressure, decreased lipid peroxidation, and increased antioxidant status in hypertensive patients.

http://www.asianfood-recipes.com/Health&Nutrition/Health_Benefits_of_Sesame_Oil.php
A recent study in hypertensive diabetic patients showed that sesame oil supplementation for 45 days decreased systolic and diastolic blood pressure, body weight, body mass index, waist girth, hip girth, waist-to-hip ratio, glucose, glycosylated hemoglobin (a measure of long-term blood sugar control), total and LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. Sesame oil increases leptin (a hormone that regulates body weight) levels in the circulation, which may contribute to weight loss. Another recent study conducted at Louisiana State University reported that sesame oil consumption reduced total cholesterol, bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Furthermore, sesame oil inhibited the formation of atherosclerotic lesions in artery walls. Lastly, a study published in Critical Care medicine reported that sesame oil supplementation in rats prevented multi-organ failure and improved their survival rate.

jubilation

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 06:45:54 AM »

Hi IndianGirl,
First of all, I just realized that I posted the same website twice in the above post, and have just corrected it.  This is the other website: 
http://www.naturalnews.com/026599_body_fat_weight_loss_health.html
This one does cite the same study, soon to be published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, but the both talk only about Safflower Oil and CLA, I would assume because of their high linoleic content.  So, if I were not able to get Saflower Oil, I, too, would be looking for the oil next highest in linoleic acid, and I wish you well with this.

I plan to give this a very good trial, unlike my previous use of CLA, when I took too little for too short a period to see any results.  The cost was just prohibitive.  With the Safflower oil, I feel it could be taken for an indefinite period without worry about any detrimental effects.  It is the only way to be able to make a logical assessment of its efficacy.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 07:41:10 AM »

Well I hadn't read this thread at all since I'm not:

A - Post menopausal
B - Female

But I do have:

C - Belly fat!

So I finally read it, and thought it was pretty interested, between Indian Girl and jubliation's information, I wonder if maybe the linoleic acid could help EVERYONE with belly fat issues, not just post menopausal women! 

It wouldn't be too big of a hassle, its not like I couldn't just take the 1.6666 tsp of oil in my shake along with my regular SLD dose, or even incorporate it somewhere in dinner since there doesn't seem to have to be any sort of worry about timing the dose or taking it with other food (1.6666 tsp of oil wouldn't be too much to use in salad dressing or similar).

However, I feel like somewhere in Seth's book (I'm letting a friend read it, so I can't look to be sure) I SWEAR he specificially advises AGAINST using safflower or seasame oil, for reasons that I can't quite think of at the moment.  I know seasame wouldn't work as SLD oil unless noseclipped because of the distinctive taste, but I don't think it was just the taste, I feel like there was another reason, having something to do with a compound found in both of these oils (in fact, I feel like the chart Indian Girl posted was more or less similar to the one in Seth's book, since olive oil was so low on the chart he recommended it.  So maybe it was the linoleic acid content WAS the issue he had with the oil?

Anyone know? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18