Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
PBJ's progress, Week 3, Down 3 lbs, Questions re Coffee

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PBJ's progress, Week 3, Down 3 lbs, Questions re Coffee  (Read 4082 times)

PBJ

PBJ's progress, Week 3, Down 3 lbs, Questions re Coffee
« on: May 26, 2006, 01:44:58 PM »

Hello all,

Well, as Steven experienced, I am noticing some trends in my progress. I weigh myself every morning and there is a definite curve (one step forward, two back?) to the numbers on the scale. I am convinced that it is due to water weight, fluctuating hormones, and the fact that I am trying to lose those stubborn 10-12 pounds that don't want to come off. My food intake is pretty low due to reduced appetite, so it's not that.

Is anyone else out there a serious coffee drinker? I am and am wondering if it's a negative in terms of the SLD. I love the ritual of having my two (sometimes three) cups in the morning -- with skim milk and splenda -- with the newspaper, before heading out.  It is an appetite suppressant for me so I wonder if I need to worry about it. I have started drinking sugar water an hour after my morning coffee, and am not hungry until the afternoon. Even then, it doesn't seem to be hunger. Rather, it seems that I feel programmed to eat a meal because everyone else around me is doing so.

I have decided not to eat at work. Teachers work in a dangerous (food-wise) situation -- there is Always some occasion being celebrated with cake or other treats that either begin or end up in the teacher's lounge. It is easier not to eat than to begin to eat without knowing where the eating will end. Also, I find, it is another opportunity to eat only because other people are eating and because they expect you to. That is something I really must deal with! I wonder what Dr Roberts would have to say about that. It's not something I would necessarily classify as "emotional eating," but rather as an eating "issue" in our society.

Hopefully the numbers on the scale will go down this week and I'll be at 138 lbs. by next week. My goal is to make it to 130 lbs. by mid-August, when I need (an absolute MUST! the future of the world depends on it!) to look incredible at a friend's wedding.

Good luck to all!

PBJ

wildnight

• JC's Shangri-La Blog
Re: PBJ's progress, Week 3, Down 3 lbs, Questions re Coffee
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 04:33:28 AM »

I had a serious coffee habit that included *at least* two trips to Starbucks per day. And I have a serious at-home espresso maker. Loved coffee.  Beverage of choice: misto w/2 splenda (basically about 1/2 steamed skim and coffee).

After I read SLD, I tried an experiment. I made a new rule that my coffee could not have sweets or milk in it (basically black). Was it the caffeine or the calories.  Result: I'm down to one small cup in the morning. Two days ago I left home in a hurry and picked up a small Starbucks coffee (usually I get the medium or large). Couldn't finish it.

My wife thinks I'm sacrificing a key life pleasure. It doesn't seem that way to me. I used to crave coffee and my body would all but force me to go get one. Now I never feel that way. Freedom!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J.C.
http://jcshangri-la.blogspot.com/

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 04:54:32 AM »

I think this is a fascinating question: what's the effect of subtracting (or adding) one small intense regular source of pleasure from (or to) one's life?

Is the pleasure source like chains, which bind you? (Basically, an addiction.) or is it like a light that illuminates a room? (For example, the anticipation, etc., raises your mood throughout the day.) Or both?

thechef

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 06:47:14 AM »

I also think this is a fascinating question.  And, for me, a big part of the answer is:  Do I miss it?

I would crave potato chips to the point where I would dream about them.  Then I would get dressed, drive to the 24-hr store and buy some.  I would eat the whole bag and feel sick later.  But even the memory of feeling sick wouldn't stop me from buying the next bag.
Now, I eat a few chips, and put the bag back.  Amazing and unprecedented.  The few that I do eat give me pleasure, as does putting the bag back in the pantry.   :)  The chains are off.  I can enjoy them without fear or regret...I don't miss a thing.

wildnight

• JC's Shangri-La Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 04:52:05 AM »

I think this is a fascinating question: what's the effect of subtracting (or adding) one small intense regular source of pleasure from (or to) one's life?

Is the pleasure source like chains, which bind you? (Basically, an addiction.) or is it like a light that illuminates a room? (For example, the anticipation, etc., raises your mood throughout the day.) Or both?

I felt like I "needed" the coffee every day. If you think you "need" it, I'm not sure it's a "pleasure" source, no matter how much you enjoy it. Granted, pre-SLD I used to consider stopping by the coffee store as a "treat", but it didn't feel like a completely free choice. Of course, I didn't notice any of this till I started SLD.

Anyway, now I really don't think about coffee during the day. In fact, I have to remember to "dose" myself twice a day for the caffeine.

JC
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J.C.
http://jcshangri-la.blogspot.com/

bill9

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 03:31:19 PM »

I drink coffee with meals and between meals. When I eat calories with meals, don't the calories become associated with this flavor? When I drink coffee between meals, does this raise my set point. How does the body treat flavors that are sometimes associated with calories and sometimes not associated with calories? Drinking coffee between meals seems to decrease my appetite.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:05:29 AM »

If a flavor is associated with calories half of of the times you experience it, it will form an association with calories, but a weaker association than if it was more consistently followed by calories.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18