Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rey's progress

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rey's progress  (Read 4745 times)

Rey

Rey's progress
« on: May 13, 2006, 01:20:48 AM »

First to introduce myself. I am a 40 year old male with a sedentary lifestyle and at 5’7” 241 lbs was severely overweight. I retired from the Army 3 years ago and stopped chewing tobacco and exercising at the same time. My job, ever since I retired, has been IT support and involves a lot of travel. I basically live on fast food 2 weeks a month. I am currently in Baghdad providing IT support for the Government. I figured that been in a captive environment, with a flexible schedule and on hand gym facilities, I had no excuse not to shed the extra weight.
I started 4 weeks ago with a restricted carbohydrate diet, since I know from my own experience that sweets are my #1 enemy. I also started to exercise again. I hit the treadmill 6 days a week starting with 30 minutes at target HR 140 the first week and currently at 60 minutes a day. This burns about 650 calories. I have shed 15 pounds in the last 4 weeks, but was starting to stall out.
This week (starting Monday) I switched to a restricted calorie diet, taking no more than 1200 net (after discounting the cardio expenditures) calories a day. I started with the sugar water (no place to buy ELOO or fructose), 150 calories 2x a day.
The first 2 days I was literally starving. Really, by Tuesday afternoon I was thinking of nothing but my next meal. But then a miracle happened. I woke up Wednesday morning and was not hungry. I exercised and was somewhat hungry for breakfast, empty but not hungry for lunch and dinner. This was while maintaining the 1200 net calorie restriction.

By Saturday morning I weighted myself. I had lost a disappointing 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) for the week. That is on a diet averaging 1100 net calories a day. Of course I should not be disappointed. It takes 7700 calories to burn 1 kg of fat. I would have to literally cease all foodstuffs and double my output in order to loose 2-3 kg a week. Also, I did loose 1% of my body weight, and that was after 4 weeks of restricted carb intake, so I had no water weight to loose. All in all not a bad week. I will continue with the sugar water until I get my oil/fructose care package from stateside.

I wrote a spreadsheet to track my input output that automatically calculates my intake total for the day/week and gives me the next week’s maintenance intake based on my weight loss. If you would like a copy, e-mail me. rey.arbolay(at)mywisper.net

Rey

Re: Rey's progress
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 10:40:12 PM »

Well, end of week 2 report.
Interesting week, up to Wednesday I was taking 2T of SW at 1000 and 1600. Very effective both physically (appetite suppression) and physiologically (no cravings or desire for high density foods) on Wednesday afternoon I switched to anywhey protein powder. Although the appetite suppression remained for 2 days, the cravings returned by NEXT MORNING. Looking at my food log, I see that I added high density foods (hash brown, Italian sausage, protein bar) to my regular meals on Thursday. By 1600 Friday I was STARVING. I returned, sadly, to SW on Saturday morning.

Intake and weight report. For the week I took in 9888 calories (Monday to Saturday), burned 5421 calories on the tread mill.

Lost 1.5 kg. Starting weight on Monday 102kg ending weight on Saturday 10.5kg.

BTW, I see that some are commenting on the logging habits of a few of us. Yes, I know that SLD is about the freedom to eat whatever you want. I track to be able to quantify my progress. If I had 3-5 lbs to loose, fine, I wouldn't track. But I still have 40lbs to my desired goal and 50lbs to my "ideal" weight. I have to be able to track progress or lack thereof. If something is not working, my protein experiment been an example, I have a written "database" to track what caused the change or what is or is not working. When I find a personal pattern of actions and behaviors that are taking me to my goal, I will quit tracking. For now, it would be foolish not to keep a log.

mjohnson121

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 10:13:37 AM »

Thanks for the update on the protein. Thats too bad it didn't work. I wonder if (highly generalizing), for people that the SW works on, protein is less effective, and vice-versa. I've had mixed results with any SW doses, and haven't really tried enough protein doses yet to see, but I suspect the protein might work better for me than the SW. I'm going to try another protein dose today.

-Mark

Rey

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 11:50:30 PM »

Week 3 update. Consumed 7084 calories (Monday thru Saturday) and burned 3630 for a net intake of 3454. Started the week at 101kg ended the week at 101kg. No net loss. Couple of notes, starting Wednesday I began feeling hunger again. Not ravenous but still hunger. I was also no longer feeling that overstuffed feeling that I had the first week. A review of my logs show that I dropped my net intake from an average of 1100 calories the first week to an average of 700 net calories the third week. That clearly explains the new feelings of emptiness. I have DRASTICALLY reduced my intake. I introduced weight lifting during week 2 and like the progress I seem to be making so far. I am switching to ELOO as of today. Thanks for the tips on drinking it with water. It was EASY. Lets see how my body reacts to the change.

Rey

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »

Week 4 update. Intake was 11424 calories. 4890 calories burned during cardio, 6534 net calories remained. Starting weight was 100.2 kg (220 pounds) ending weight was 98.5 kcal (216.7 pounds) lost 3.3 pounds. I had one day (Thursday) were the cravings returned. I controlled it with sugarless hard candy, but it was not hunger, just a sweets attack. I increased the ELOO to a full 2 tablespoons in the AM and 1 in the PM. No munchies on Saturday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18