Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
New to the forum, been on SLD for a month or so

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the forum, been on SLD for a month or so  (Read 3636 times)

Proustian

New to the forum, been on SLD for a month or so
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:31:19 PM »

Hi, I started SLD June 27th. So far, I've lost 12 pounds, (according to the 7-day moving average, which is what I consider my "real" weight, to iron out day-to-day changes. The moving average idea came from here: http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2009/07/weight-loss-tips-for-geeks.html , which had a few other useful suggestions. In any case, at least some of that weight loss is due to other changes: I started the diet just when I moved to a new apartment and could more easily set new habits for myself. I eat at least one meal a day that's strictly a salad, and only allow myself to snack on fruit or nuts (which has been pretty easy to get used to). I'm no longer tempted to eat candy or chips, I no longer crave them or even enjoy them, really: seems to be all about habit.

Most of that weight was lost in the first two weeks; the last couple weeks, the weight loss has slowed to 1 or 2 pounds a week. Still, I'm feeling very enthusiastic about it, and am looking forward to losing the next 20 to 25 pounds. The biggest problem so far is the disgusting eloo. How do you all drink this stuff? I gag on it and it frequently makes me feel nauseated. The nausea generally goes away the next time I eat, but of course I have to wait at least an hour to do that.

Also, do you still feel hungry much of the day? I do, which seems to run against the idea of the diet. Still, I'm afraid to make any changes, since it seems to be working so well up to this point.

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: New to the forum, been on SLD for a month or so
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »

your stomach has to learn to make the enzymes it needs to digest all that oil.
digestive enzymes will help with the nausea issue.  I got min e at walmart in the vitamin aisle.

I pour my dose of oil into a shot glass, top it off with a couple of TBS of sugar water that I have premade and keep in the fridge.  Then I toss it back like a shot and then drink a glass of cold water.
If I feel any greasiness on my mouth or taste any lingering oil flavor, I will take a sip of sugar water and swish it around a bit.
It kills off any flavor and/or texture of the oil.

I tried drinking plain oil twice.  There was throwing-up involved, so I changed to the above method.
 :?

Some people take heavy cream and mix equal parts oil and cream in a little bottle and shake it up then drink it quick.

Welcome and good luck!
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Daffodil-11

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »

I also couldn't bear to drink the oil straight -- even though the soul was willing, my throat just refused to accept it.

But I found an alternate method that works much, much better for me. Basically, I put the oil in a juice glass (8 oz or thereabouts), and then mostly fill the glass the rest of the way with cool water. Ice cold water will tend to make it harder to get down, and also olive oil of any kind will tend to thicken in very cold water; cool water is the way to go. Doing this, I can hardly detect the oil going down -- it feels just like drinking a quick glass of water. You still get oily lips, but there's no gagging or choking. If the idea still doesn't sit well with you, try just closing your eyes and chugging it. If the oil's floating on water, you really can't feel it in your mouth at all. And I use this method with relatively large volumes of oil, up to 3 tbs at a time.

As for the queasiness, I also tend to feel a bit "bleh" after the oil has registered in my stomach, particularly first thing in the morning. I wish I could say that this has lessened over time, but so far it's still as much there as it ever was. But I suppose I've gotten used to it, and I still regard it as a minor issue. I can't say I've had any of the other common digestive complaints that come with starting the oil, knock wood.

And I too still have physical hunger -- maybe for a few people SLD really does produce an aversion to food, but for me, at least, what I've lost isn't my basic need for food so much as my compulsions towards it. For example, when it was time for lunch today, I was definitely hungry -- my stomach was rumbling, I was feeling a little light-headed, all the signs that I needed to eat. But my appetite was only in line with my actual hunger. I got a chicken salad sandwich at a place that gives you a (really awesome) chocolate chip cookie with your order, and I took it back to our breakroom to eat. I ate half the sandwich and half the cookie, and couldn't be bothered with the rest. Before SLD I'd have eaten the whole sandwich, gotten a couple of extra cookies, eaten the lot, and still wanted more afterwards.

It's not your need to eat that you lose, it's your need to overeat.

shovelqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »

You could try the shooter method.  Hold your breath, use a shot glass or similar sized vessel, and throw it into the back of your throat.  Doesn't hardly touch your tongue or lips.  Wash down with a big glass of water. 

"Strength, balance, joy!"

realitycheck

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »

I can't seem to take the oil well right now...makes my stomach churn terribly. I'm going to try sugar water...hot and sip it slowly like Seth says to.  A cup in the morning before work and one in the evening before bed ought to do. But it makes me wonder if I am taking too much sugar...I weigh 186 and need to lose 51 pounds...is that really 8.25 TABLESPOONS of sugar per day? Seems like an awful lot compared to the amount of oil you would take. Mind you, a tablespoon of sugar is much less calories than the oil by far...anyway, I'm trying this method because I feel too sick with the oil.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »

I sometimes put my sugar water in the freezer until it is slushy.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18