sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Almost immediately, my appetite was roughly halved. I became stunningly detached from eating -- I still feel real hunger, but the compulsions lurking behind it -- that little voice that says, "seriously, McDonalds, NOW" -- are gone. No more guilty batches of cookies or brownies before bed. I mean, I still like cookies and brownies, but there's just no drive to seek them out. I don't really care about them. -- Daffodil-11

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Turmeric for weight loss  (Read 34034 times)

IndianGirl

Turmeric for weight loss
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:01:56 am »

I started this thread, as I think turmeric deserves a thread of its own....
------------------------------
Bio-availability of curcumin (turmeric's active compound):

Drinking turmeric as Golden Milk is a good way to consume it:
http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/goldenmilk.html

1. Oil based medium is right for ensuring turmeric's bio-availability.
2. Adding a dash of pepper to turmeric increases its bio-availability &potency.

http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/turmeric.html
"it MUST be introduced into the body in a bioavailable form. Curcumin is almost totally insoluble in water. On the other hand, it is completely soluble in fat.

Curcumin dissolves readily in coconut milk or cream, especially if they are warm. There is NO reason to boil coconut milk or cream in order to dissolve curcumin. Never boil anything unless you are absolutely certain the heat will not damage the medicinal properties of the natural medicine. I have no idea how heat stable curcumin is for medicinal purposes. So don't boil it.

Curcumin that is dissolved in fat will be introduced into the lymphatic system with the fat. There is exactly where we want curcumin to be introduced into the body. The lymphatic fluid bathes all the tissues in the body. We are NOT interested in directly introducing it into the blood.

People complain about the taste of curcumin. So add other spices, such as turmeric, or other spices to the mix to change the taste."

-----------------------------------------------------

turmeric for weight loss and a host of other benefits:
http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/turmeric3.html

[YEA]  06/08/2009: Pcline from Springfield, Ohio writes: "Turmeric has controlled almost all of my health issues! I am amazed! It was given to me by a relative when I fell on the ice, to prevent swelling and inflammation in my injured knee, and while it appeared to make a difference (I continued to be able to walk, and the pain and swelling abated quickly) the most wonderful thing that emerged was that I realized about a week later that the my whole sinus/allergy issue was clearing up. I had been taking at least one Zyrtec and often either more Zyrtec or other sinus medication every day for over 18 years to keep the ever-lurking migraine away. I could not have gone more than 24 hours without taking the Zyrtec or a headache would start creeping up and my sinuses would begin to swell shut. First I saw, after taking turmeric for about a week, that I did not need any "back-up" medication, then I tried missing a Zyrtec, and to my complete amazement, I felt GREAT! No headaches! I can breathe! I cannot believe it.

I take at least a heaping teaspoon of turmeric (from the spice section of the grocery, although I am looking for it in bulk now) stirred in water as soon as I get up, and one in the evening. If I begin to feel any swelling during the day, such as when I am exposed to household dust, I take another teaspoon right away, and it eliminates the "headache creep". I stay ahead of the allergies this way, but if I cannot get turmeric when the swelling starts, and it begins to cause headaches, when I can get to the turmeric, I may have to take several teaspoon doses before it alleviates, leaving a half-hour or so before I take each additional dose, but IT WORKS! It has ALWAYS EVENTUALLY WORKED. I have not had to take more than three additional doses to stop what used to be RAGING migraines, causing me to have to go to bed and be debilitated for hours afterward.

I feel marvelous, but the additional benefits have been that I realize that my arthritis in my knees is all but gone! I can walk up stairs most of the time without noticing any discomfort at all!

Finally, most astonishingly, I (and everyone I know who has begun to take this) have begun to LOSE WEIGHT! I determined after a bout of intestinal virus to eat less food at a time. (After all, I had not been able to eat anything for 3 days, so this was a good time to break a habit) This was just before I started taking turmeric. With the addition of the turmeric, I feel, I was able to eat less. Nothing else has ever made a difference in my being able to eat less and not feel ravenous and deprived. In just over 3 months, I have lost 48 pounds!!!! And I feel energetic, fabulous, lively and alert! I cannot say what actual physical role turmeric plays as a weight loss aid, but I don't care. I am 53 years old and feel better than I have in YEARS!

I have begun to try turmeric on everything that occurs. I got a spider bite and it began to itch and sting immediately. I washed it right away and put a band-aid with moistened turmeric on it and in minutes, the pain and itch left, no sign of any bite. My family jokes that I would try to revive the dead by sprinkling some turmeric on them, but I cannot believe what a difference just taking turmeric has made with me."

SANDY'S TURMERIC COMPILATION
http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/turmeric.html
06/13/2009: Sandy (Sandhya) from Bangalore, India writes: "Dear Earthclinic,

Based on all feedback received for turmeric so far (as seen on your turmeric pages), I have created the following list of cures by turmeric:
(Note that I have included only those cures that readers have EXPERIENCED, and not included the cures that readers have just heard of, or read about.)

Turmeric Cures:
1. cured allergies,
2. cured hayfever,
3. breathing became free, sneezing eliminated,
4. arthritis cured in 7 days by taking 3 capsules a day, (people have combined turmeric with ginger or with flax oil for relief from arthritis), joint pains cured, body pains relieved, sciatic pain subsided,
5. healed boils,
6. healed MRSA boils,
7. eczema healed,
8. menopause symptoms calmed down,
9. provided relief in thrombocythemia,
10. cured asthma,
11. cured Heal Spurs (Plantar Fasciitis),
12. when applied on skin cured skin infections, cleared up acne with taken orally,
13. dry turmeric rubbed on bunion healed the pain,
14. turmeric with ginger, pepper, honey etc cured cold, cured cough,
15. cleared cystic acne,
16. cyst cured,
17. diabetic's experience: taking 2 caps of turmeric with each meal dropped blood sugar levels to normal after 2 hours of eating-so was able to stop medication gradually,
18. cured loose stools (1 tsp of turmeric in a glass of warm water), cured diarrhea, cured intestinal bleeding, cured gas, cured inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), relieved IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome),
19. turmeric and honey mixture stopped stomach ache,
20. overcome fatigue, energizes, elevates mood, mental fog lifted,
21. using turmeric powder with toothpaste while brushing turned dark gums into pink colored gums, teeth including front veneers brightened, strengthened gums and teeth,
22. kept inflammation/swelling way down,
23. became goiter-free,
24. cured puffy eyes,
25. melanoma disappeared,
26. eliminated PMS, menstrual cramps relieved within 10 minutes of drinking turmeric +milk,
27. swelling/inflammation of injury decreased,
28. sinus cleared,
29. prevented/stopped migraine, prevented headaches,
30. lost weight,
31. overcame pain and itch due to spider bite,
32. shrank bone bruise,
33. Used turmeric instead of ibuprofen during dental procedure-swirled turmeric in mouth after brushing teeth, letting it reach all gums, then swallowed it-gum pain eliminated and gum became totally healthy.

Side effects of excessive turmeric consumption: too much turmeric may lead to constipation or sweating (counter this by drinking plenty of water), accelerated heart beats, thinning of blood (not good for people on blood thinners)"

------------------------------------
How to add turmeric to food:
Turmeric recipes:
http://www.themahanandi.org/index.php?s=turmeric

Turmeric is a common spice in Indian cuisine.
We add it to savoury food by making a seasoning like this:
This is how we typically garnish our food with spices:

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/03/13/popu-tadka-tiragamata/

(I add turmeric too, to the hot oil).

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:46:18 am by IndianGirl »

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
Re: Turmeric for weight loss
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:14:21 am »

Thanks for starting the thread. I too am a fan of turmeric. Whenever I add a dash of turmeric, a dash of powdered ginger and a dash of cayenne to foods I feel I am sated with less food. This  3 spice combo works very well for me.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

VeganKitten

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 02:30:18 pm »

It occurs to me that taking turmeric in capsule form, but WITH one's ELOO dose, would be both tasteless, and ensure maximum absorption :)

IndianGirl

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:39:44 pm »

Welcome, Pinky. :)

VK, there is a warning about using turmeric capsules, as they have additives.
http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/turmeric.html#WARNING

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:56:41 am »

IG, how much turmeric would be too much?  :?
Also and if it ought to be mixed in oil for bio-availability; I was here thinking that adding a bit of turmeric to butter may make a nice spread... :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 06:27:23 am »

Oh my goodness, tumeric butter sounds amazing!

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:34:12 am »

I tried it already; on toasted dark bread at lunch. I sprinked it on the butter already spread. I think that too much of it fell on the butter and the taste was too strong. I should mix a dash in the butter first, and then spread.  I also tried mayo on toast with a tad of turmeric on top and it was also good  :D

m.c.

• Pluckychickenheart
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 04:30:43 pm »

Good Grief. I'm off to get some tumeric. Weight loss would be nice but I have just discovered I have SHINGLES so I'm hoping for pain relief.

Proof positive stress is not good for a body.

Oye. :(
Have arrived at the new Normal.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 05:02:41 pm »

I sympathise with you over the shingles.  OYE is right.
 :shock:  :(

good luck with the pain.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

m.c.

• Pluckychickenheart
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 05:44:56 pm »

Thanks Karky. I actually thought I had poison ivy or something at first. But nooooooooooo. Plus I'm not allergic to poison ivy. 8)

I'm making a castor oil pack now and also getting L-lysine and vitamin C  manana which will 'purportedly' send this virus to the hills.

Maybe a lobotomy too. That is sure to reduce cortisol levels. 8)
Have arrived at the new Normal.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 06:39:14 pm »

my dad has a numb spot on his arm from the shingles he had about 10 years ago.
he had to make a trip to the doctor to get rid of it.  he was miserable.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

IndianGirl

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 09:02:50 pm »

Pink, according to this Golden Milk recipe, 1/8th teaspoon per day. http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/goldenmilk.html

From personal experience, I can say that having around half teaspoon per day is also fine.
Anyway, even if you have more than half per day, it should be ok, as it is food...in India we add turmeric to almost all foods that are not sweet.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 07:33:53 am »

This a.m. I mixed turmeric in full fat milk and had it noseclipped  :D Good AS till lunch!!  :D

I asked because with cinnamon, I'd never guess too much could be dangerous and it is (the ordinary type, not the real cinnamon).

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 07:46:07 am »

oooh poor mc - get well soon!

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 09:33:35 am »

Oh geez - had to look up shingles - I had some 30 years ago, but I remember the pain  :shock: Get rid of that quick m.c.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18