Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
And The Beat Goes On--SLD Success!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: And The Beat Goes On--SLD Success!  (Read 11953 times)

Darkhorse

• To thine own self be true.
And The Beat Goes On--SLD Success!
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:40:31 AM »

I consider success with SLD to mean that I can now live a life free of food obsession, without fixating on what, where, or how much I can eat, or having to avoid situations with food. I believe this is because I originally used the appetite suppression from SLD to address my addiction to carbohydrates, which had been fueling my appetite for so long.  Now, making excellent food choices, which had once felt like a dreary obligation, has become a joy—just one of the ‘magic’ side effects of SLD

I tested this-- perhaps inadvertently, perhaps somewhat deliberately--I’m not sure--for a few weeks this summer.  During an extremely hectic few months, while constantly surrounded by people, and with many obligations and events to attend, I started adding bread and/or rice, along with some rich desserts, as those around me were doing.  Very quickly, I could tell that carbs were getting a grip on me again and I started to get that always-hungry feeling again, even though I had continued to take oil every couple of days, and nose-clipped the occasional snack when possible, as I had always done.  Well, I didn’t need a house to fall on me to see what was going on here.  It was the carbs!  I hated feeling like a slave to food again, and quickly embraced the comfort of my previous SLD habits.

I am grateful to Seth for passing on Gary Skaleski’s brilliant suggestion of noseclipping (The Shangri-La Diet, 2nd Edition, forward xiii), and  http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=1632.msg11795#msg11795  

Noseclipping is a fabulous idea. I use it to ensure flavourless oil, and if possible, with 300 or so food calories a day, as it helps to slow down eating. I can’t depend on it for appetite suppression, as it feels too much like having to keep your finger in the dike for the rest of your life, or your foot forever on the accelerator to keep the engine from dying.  I find it difficult to move forward that way with a normal life. It’s all about freedom. So a little oil every day or so, along with some mindfulness and gratitude, is still very reliable. Placebo or not, who cares?  It works!

I have had a great many wonderful personal messages from people here, most of whom have chosen not to post on the forums, and I have enjoyed sharing the ideas and tips that have worked so well for me, especially with those who are so receptive.

I want to thank Seth again for making his innovative ideas and outstanding, informative website available to us all.

(edited to fix link, above)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:18:54 PM by Darkhorse »
F48,5’4”
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120
-1½T Oil/day, and/or Ns-clip 300-500 cals food
- Eat fewer calories; only high quality
"The better the quality of the food I eat, the less of it I need to feel satisfied." Michael Pollan-The Omnivore's Dilemma.

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: And The Beat Goes On--SLD Success!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »

Congratulations on your success!!
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »

you're welcome, Darkhorse.

Darkhorse

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:41:38 AM »

Congratulations on your success!!

Thank you, Karky.  I appreciate your acknowledgement perhaps more than anyone I can think of here (except Seth, of course).  Your approach to SLD makes the most sense to me because you have seen it for just what it is—a quirky, bizarre way to address hunger for weight loss, so unique that I would put it right up there as one of the greatest scientific discoveries of our time, capable of transforming the way we think and live, but so simple that it is ridiculously easy to integrate into any lifestyle. I believe that your goal could be similar to mine: to kick the food obsession demon out of its position of control and take over the job yourself.

I believe that you have recognized, as I have, that the closer you stay to the fundamental principles of SLD, the more likely you are to succeed and make it part of your life.
That said, I also believe that it is good to be aware of all the possibilities that SLD offers and take full advantage of any that truly apply. But to waste your life overthinking this when the answer is in front of your eyes puzzles me. As Laurence Olivier once said: “Take a simple view of life: keep your eyes open and get on with it”.                                

And to anyone reading this who has doubts about SLD’s effectiveness, look at Karky.

"Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt man doing it."
(Chinese proverb)
[/size]

Karky, my most sincere and enthusiastic congratulations and best wishes for you.

F48,5’4”
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120
"The better the quality of the food I eat, the less of it I need to feel satisfied." Michael Pollan-The Omnivore's Dilemma.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:45:37 AM »

As Laurence Olivier once said: “Take a simple view of life: keep your eyes open and get on with it”.

That's my motto:
"Keep It Simple Stupid."     :lol:

The easier it is and the less I have to think about it, the more likely I am to keep on doing it.

And thanks for your best wishes.
I hope to get the show back on the road here, now that my thyroid problems are starting to be addressed.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 12:34:58 PM »

well done dark horse!!

shovelqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »

Yes, you are inspirational!  Congratulations! :D

The simplicity, and the quirkiness are both wonderful,  but also the reason it seems to be so slow to catch on, in my opinion, anyways.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink the oil!! :lol:

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 02:16:52 AM »

Great news, Darkhorse!
Your Chinese proverb made my day! So right!!! :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 08:26:11 AM »

Last posted weight July 24 2009 at 119.

Today’s weight: 120.

Since 2007, I lost 43 lbs for 2 reasons:

1. Thanks to the Appetite suppression from SLD, I learned how to lose it.
2.  I really, really, wanted it off.

I have kept if off for 2 reasons:

1. Thanks to the Appetite suppression from SLD, I learned how to keep it off.
2.  I really, really want to keep it off.

SLD is simplicity, the ultimate sophistication.

F48,5’4”
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120

shovelqueen

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 08:29:15 AM »

Inspirational, Darkhorse! :D

Are you still doing the low-carb apporach?  I noticed you mentioned low GI in your signature line.

Darkhorse

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 08:54:59 AM »

I eat only whole grain bread, and this only 1-3 slices a week.  No processed foods, no sugar, cereals, flour, starchy veg., rice.  (1 s.potato a week). Only berries for fruit.  I use stevia and xylitol for sweeteners.  If this sounds austere, it is anything but. Without these empty carbs to fire up the insulin response, I am never hungry and take great joy in seeking out delicious vegetables with butter, all kinds of meat and fish, eggs and cheeses.  As long as you are eating even what you would consider a small amount of carbs, particularly empty calorie ones, on a regular basis, you will always be hungry. And your nutrition will not be optimal.

I watch out for "mindless little bites" throughout the day as these were part of the reason I could never lose weight previously.  Nuts are particularly dangerous, with their high carb content and addictive effect cancelling any perceived health benefit.

I would say I watch portions, but really, I am just never hungry enough to eat large amounts.

F48,5’4”
Mar07 160
May08 119
Oct09 120

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »

Last posted weight July 24 2009 at 119.

Today’s weight: 120.

Since 2007, I lost 43 lbs for 2 reasons:

1. Thanks to the Appetite suppression from SLD, I learned how to lose it.
2.  I really, really, wanted it off.

I have kept if off for 2 reasons:

1. Thanks to the Appetite suppression from SLD, I learned how to keep it off.
2.  I really, really want to keep it off.

SLD is simplicity, the ultimate sophistication.

Nicely said.

sdeshwood

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »

Hmmmm, really, you think nuts are dangerous?  I have been having a few a day (not every day) but I usually only pour the amount I intend to eat into a napkin and only eat those, no more. . . no snacking out of the container!  But maybe I should consider cutting back on them all together.  Your results are very impressive, Darkhorse!

shovelqueen

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »

Hmmmm, really, you think nuts are dangerous?  I have been having a few a day (not every day) but I usually only pour the amount I intend to eat into a napkin and only eat those, no more. . . no snacking out of the container!  But maybe I should consider cutting back on them all together.  Your results are very impressive, Darkhorse!

I think that if you eat them unsalted, they are much less addictive.  And you are practicing good portion control to only set out what you intend to eat.  When you are craving crunch, they are a much lower carb and higher nutrition option than most of the other crunchy stuff out there.  And the omega fats in the nuts are good for you, too.  And lots of micro nutrients.

I eat 1/2 to 1 ounce of almonds most days - great evening snack.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »

I think the problem with nuts comes from the packaging.  Even small packages of nuts have SEVERAL servings in them, so watch out.  I do what Shovelqueen does, I set aside a small amount of raw almonds and just eat that.  If I just eat right out of the jar, I'd eat a huge amount...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18