Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
tie handkerchief against nose instead of noseclips ;-)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: tie handkerchief against nose instead of noseclips ;-)  (Read 13363 times)

IndianGirl

tie handkerchief against nose instead of noseclips ;-)
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:22:15 AM »

I did this today, for blocking out the flavour/taste of food:

1. hold diagonal ends of a thick big handkerchief and fold/rotate, so you have a thick segment of cloth.
2. tie this across face such that nostrils are covered, and pin the edges using hair clips into your hair.

Its way better than a noseclip for blocking out flavour of food as:
1. Its painless
2. Does not make nose drip
3. you can breathe while eating (you will smell the cloth, instead of the flavour of food)
4. you can keep it on for as long as you want after eating, as it does not block breathing and is so comfortable, that you wont even realize you have it on.
5. since it does not pinch the nose, this wont lead to wrinkles/naso-labial folds (this is the primary reason that has kept me off noseclips).

Today's weight: 60.5 kg
I intend to do this consistently for dinner henceforth.
Anyone else experimenting with this?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:58:33 PM by IndianGirl »

IndianGirl

Re: tie handkerchief against nose instead of noseclips ;-)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

This experiment seems to be successful.
I have a loss of 0.25 kg since yesterday.
I am not taking this as a random fluctuation, as I haven't seen this number for 2-3 weeks.

Observations:
After dinner yesterday, about an hour later, I felt as if my stomach was empty though not really hungry. Normally after dinner I feel full.
Today I seem to have AS. I ate 60% of my normal breakfast.

Today's weight: 60.25 kgs

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »

this is interesting indian girl and easy to try.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »

i have been considering doing this, but:
- only at home (or I'd be sent to an asylum in no time in a straight jacket)
- only if I don't go out again (it would take my foundation away and frankly I don't have the patience for spreading foundation, just once in the morning is boring enough)
- only in cool weather (it sounds really like warming up the face too much - my rosacea would love it)  :P

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

NuLu

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:00:03 AM »

3. you can breathe while eating (you will smell the cloth, instead of the flavour of food)

When I first read about noseclipping, I tried to tuck cottonwool pieces into my nose while eating. I did not breathe through my nose, but very little air movements occurred while swallowing. Those little movements helped me to swallow without the sense of choking that occurred with nose clips. However, they were also enough for me to taste what I ate several times during the meal. I felt that especially breathing out through the nose brought food smells to my odour sensing cells. So I decided it wouldn't work for me. Tying handkerchief sounds very similar to my experience. I hope it works for you.

IndianGirl

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 06:17:32 AM »

i have been considering doing this, but:
- only at home (or I'd be sent to an asylum in no time in a straight jacket)

Actually, it looks less weird than nose-clips...
Anyway, I do this only for food I eat in the evening and night...so I do it when I am home.

IndianGirl

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:22:38 AM »

I felt that especially breathing out through the nose brought food smells to my odour sensing cells.

I experienced some 'smell' occasionally with even noseclips on, when I tried noseclips. So, if its ok to get occasional 'smell' with noseclips on, then it sud be ok to get it with handkerchief too.
I wonder if Heidi gets occasional smells of food when she is eating a noseclipped meal...

Heidi 555

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »

Ah IndianGirl, you are on a roll of creative ideas.  When I first heard this one I didn't think that it would work.  It seems like if you could breathe through your nose, then smell/flavor would sneak through.  However, in the spirit of self experimentation I tried it out and it did seem to work.  I will have to test it a bit more with some strongly flavored foods to know for sure. 

I didn't like having a cloth tied around my head.  And think that it looks even more ridiculous and felt more cumbersome than nose clips.  BUT I was thinking that one could sew a foam/cloth piece that was small and just fit under the nose and had elastic straps with velcro to fasten around your head.  I'm going to experiment with making something as it would be nice to have another more comfortable option to clipping.  This method might be great for those who find the nose clips uncomfortable or don't like the sensation of not being able to breath through their nose.  (Kirk, have you tried this?)

I hardly ever get an occasional smell with my nose clips on.  But sometimes I take them off too soon and get smells then.

How's it going?  Is it still working for you?  I was thinking of asking Seth to move this thread to the nose-clipping section if that's okay with you.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

IndianGirl

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »

Ah IndianGirl, you are on a roll of creative ideas. 

I love the company on this forum, and I am also looking for a simple VERY SIMPLE weight loss trick ;-)
Hence this trying out various ideas.
Drinking oil or sugar water is a very complicated weight loss trick for me, I cant handle both.
I think SLD can be marketed better/made more useful if the primary way of doing it is propagated as 'eat anything u want worth 300-400 cals while blocking out your breath'....
I am fascinated by noseclipping, and would love a more comfortable way of blocking smell, than noseclipping.

Nice idea about the foam velcro apparatus...
Yes, I believe this worked for me coz:
1. I was at 60.5 kgs when I started this, am now at 60.25 kgs, without restricting calories. (Infact, I have eaten more this week --but dinner comprised of flavourless calories--normally I would have put on weight.)
2. After I started trying this, I had a heightened sense of taste and smell. Eg. I eat an ayurvedic rejuvenant called chyawanprash every night since years. Its great for hair and skin (and a million other benefits) and tastes like a dessert. It has many aromatic ingredients. That night while eating it absent-mindedly watching TV, I could distinctly taste the various spices, even the relatively subtle ones like saffron, which has never happened before. I wondered for a moment why I hadnt enjoyed the taste of saffron before, then remembered how people on SLD often have a heightened sense of taste....

Yes, please move the thread where you think its appropriate.

IndianGirl

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »

60 kgs today, with no calorie counting or deprivation.

Hee heeee......

IndianGirl

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 10:17:08 PM »

1. At times I catch a whiff of the food I am eating, that does not seem to be mattering, atleast at this stage.

2. I have one nose-blocked snack daily consisting of bland foods such as banana, nuts, half cup cold milk with some cream, toast with butter & jam etc. This low flavour snack has about 300-350 cals, and a handkerchief is good enough to block out smells.

I also tie a handkerchief against my nose for dinner (normally a pretty flavourful meal). DH said I looked like a pirate.  :D

I have breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks, dinner, post-dinner snack(yogurt/fruit) daily.

IndianGirl

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:22:03 PM »

weight down to 59.5 kg today.  :D

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 01:37:27 AM »

well done IG!!

Heidi 555

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 05:25:33 AM »

I.G. -- I'm so happy to hear that you're having success with this. 

Yesterday my friend from out of town who does SLD visited and we had a nose clipped lunch together.  At the end of the meal we tried your hankerchief method and came to the following conclusions: 

1. The hankerchief muffles the flavor of food.  Mild food seemed flavorless when using it.  Other food had some flavor but the flavor was more muffled and less pronounced than usual. 

2. The hankerchief makes an excellent transition tool after a nose clipped meal.  It is much more comfortable than nose clips and blocked all lingering after flavors.  It is easy to leave it on for the extra 10 minutes or so that it takes for all flavor to dissipate. 

3. The hankerchief might be a good training tool to practice "bubble nose". 

4. Also, for some people it might work by itself because it does significantly reduce the flavor of food, even though it does not 100% eliminate flavor. 

I still plan to sew something small and comfortable that just fits under my nose.  Thanks IG for coming up with this.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

IndianGirl

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 11:47:28 PM »

Thank-you, Nougat, Heidi.

Heidi, good to hear about your experiment with your friend.

1. The hankerchief muffles the flavor of food.  Mild food seemed flavorless when using it.  Other food had some flavor but the flavor was more muffled and less pronounced than usual. 
Right. I am finding that even if the food is not completely flavourless, the decrease in flavour is good enough to confuse the body and lead to appetite suppression.
Proof of this is that even if I eat a highly flavoured lunch with handkerchief on (hence experience some flavour creep), I get AS in the evening, so my afternoon/evening snacking is curbed.
Relatively bland foods such as milk/nuts taste fully flavourless, with handkerchief on.
Good example is raw pistachio nuts, which if I eat with a handkerchief on, i cant make out what I am eating from the taste....so an excellent source of good fat, vitamins, protein as well as flavourless calories! Plus its enjoyable to eat!!

Another important thing I have realized is that cool food is less flavourful than hot food....the flavors from hot food vaporize and hit the nose receptors strongly, unlike cool food which tastes relatively less flavourful. This is especially true while using a handkerchief to block nose... if you are blocking nose while eating, and the food is cool, then it will taste quite low in flavour. I have found that this reduction in flavour is good enough to cause AS :-))

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18