Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rabin the Cat: a size 16 skirt and a fitted top (posted October 14, 2006)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rabin the Cat: a size 16 skirt and a fitted top (posted October 14, 2006)  (Read 37735 times)

Rabin the Cat

Re: Rabin the Cat: SLD works when life is in crisis mode.
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2006, 09:19:29 AM »

I'm at 215 today. Pre-SLD, I would have gained 10 pounds over the last ten days. Sunday August 7, we awoke to find our garage, basement and well house flooded. The basement and wellhouse were completely full of water from floor to ceiling. We lost hundreds of books (boxed in the garage) heirloom furniture in the basement, photos, scrapbooks, computer equipment- almost everything in the basement was unsalvageable. And the rains have continued, so we were trying to clean up and stop more flooding at the same time. We have flood insurance, but you know how fast insurance people work. It's been an awful time and and it's not over yet.

But the good news is, we continued to take our oil at least once a day; though we ate oddly and badly and sporadically. I ate more sugar than usual. We even took a quick necessary overnight out of town and all the time SLD controlled our cravings and suppressed our appetites. Even with all the stress eating, I not only did not gain, I lost one more pound.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2006, 10:56:30 AM »

I'm at 215 today. Pre-SLD, I would have gained 10 pounds over the last ten days. Sunday August 7, we awoke to find our garage, basement and well house flooded. The basement and wellhouse were completely full of water from floor to ceiling. We lost hundreds of books (boxed in the garage) heirloom furniture in the basement, photos, scrapbooks, computer equipment- almost everything in the basement was unsalvageable. And the rains have continued, so we were trying to clean up and stop more flooding at the same time. We have flood insurance, but you know how fast insurance people work. It's been an awful time and and it's not over yet.

But the good news is, we continued to take our oil at least once a day; though we ate oddly and badly and sporadically. I ate more sugar than usual. We even took a quick necessary overnight out of town and all the time SLD controlled our cravings and suppressed our appetites. Even with all the stress eating, I not only did not gain, I lost one more pound.

Neat, very neat.

CarolS

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2006, 11:30:45 AM »

Okay only a fellow SLDr would say neat after that post  :D

Rabin sorry to hear about all the lost posessions.  I am a saver too - as my mom was getting ready to move - she would throw it out - i get it out of the trash (sentimental value). 

Good luck with the insurance and congrats on the 1 lb loss.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2006, 11:39:40 AM »

it is kind of awesome to me that SLD could counter the effect -- even if only the mental effect -- of a force of nature. On the face of it that's what civilization is all about, counter-acting nature, but SLD is just a book that's been out a few months.

zerimar

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2006, 11:51:41 AM »

My house burned  15 ( not 25 like I wrote) years ago, so I can relate, especially about books and family treasures.  Red Cross came (because many houses burned) and kept telling us to EAT!  They said, depending on your level of distress, you may not be taking in what you need to support all the stress you're experiencing--weird to even write, since we're all trying NOT to eat....sticking with SLD is a good idea, to avoid going in the stress eating direction. But also be sure to sleep and eat enough to handle what you're going through--it IS stressful, and might be for a while.  It's great that you have SLD to protect you from the long term effects of such a time. If my experience is any indicator, you will soon fill your home again with books and treasures, and appreciate them more for having lost some.  I wish you strength and blessings.  Z.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 07:21:17 PM by zerimar »

I started June 1, 2006

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »

WOW, i hope things let up for you two and kudos for keeping up with your dosing in the middle of all that!

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2006, 03:15:01 PM »

Aw, Rabin, that sucks so hard! The flood, not the weight loss. I'm a terrible packrat (I console myself that all the historical artifacts in the world are the work of terrible packrats). A flood or fire is a nightmare to me.

I was actually thinking about the relationship between trauma and appetite today.

My stupid little story: I had an all-day meeting today in the Museum of Science in Boston. They bused us in and, for two hours, we had a business meeting in a conference room. Then we were given the rest of the day to play in the museum. (Yes, I do like the company I work for). Because I'm a museum junkie, I skipped the lunch buffet and went right to the museum.

So, they load us on the bus to go home at 3pm, and it's been all day and all I've had is my oil, a sliver of banana bread with creamcheese and a cup of coffee. Thanks to SLD, I'm doing pretty good, but I'm peckish (and thirsty!). I turn on my cellphone, check my messages for the day...and there's a morning message from my stepmother just asking me to call back. Bad. My stepmother's not chatty and my dad's been in and out of the hospital for pneumonia lately.

Cut to the chase: he's fine, it was something trivial. But it was several hours before I talked to her, and I totally lost my appetite for that time. Couldn't imagine eating. And I'm not the emotional type. Made me think of upset vs. appetite, and the history and mechanism of grief/trauma/fear/emotion.

Does strong emotion lower setpoint? Does it give the animal permission not to hunt or gather for a while, because it has other things to deal with?
Running weight tally:

Rabin the Cat

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2006, 03:18:35 PM »

Weight from the doctor's office today- 213.

BarbH

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »

Been wondering where you were.  Sorry it was someplace unpleasant.   When you look back on this crisis you'll always add, "but the good news was we kept on losing weight through it all".  I'm glad you have insurance.  My next door neighbor's house flooded and they now have a wonderfully updated basement & first floor.  The 2nd floor was the only space where furniture was not floating.   Your patience & perseverance will be called to task.  Good luck - BarbH

Rabin the Cat

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2006, 09:50:57 PM »

Weight today was 210. I have been doing some serious stress eating, but simply cannot eat the amount of food I used to eat. Today, I braved the scales for the first time in almost a month. The verdict? 210, three pounds lower than my last weigh in.

SLD- it works.

I sent a PM to a newb with a question about hypothyroidism and she asked my method. In case anyone else wonders, I'll post what I wrote back to her here.

I'm a classic SLD gal. My husband and I started with two tablespoons twice daily and have rarely varied from that. I've had periods as long as three weeks when I lost no weight. I've had days when I was still very hungry and full of cravings. But overall, the net effect has been lowered appetite and lowered ability to cram myself full to bursting. Same for my mate. I did play around with my oil types some, but found nothing that was as effective for me as simple ELOO. Husband settled on canola. We've not tried sugar water as he is diabetic and I have hypoglycemia.

We take oil upon rising, then wait at least one hour or very often more till eating or drinking anything besides water, which means toothpasteless brushing in the mornings. We stop eating around 4-5 each evening, take the oil an hour or quite often two hours later, then eat again an hour or so after that. Not every day works out this way- sometimes we eat out in the evening and skip the second dose. I will sometimes lower my second dose to one TBS if I'm feeling quite full. I expect to drop to a lower dose regularly at around 190 or so. We shall see.

What else? Let's see, we drink quite a bit of water, keep junk food out of the house, eat very little processed sugar (and when I do I make darn sure it's yummy home made something, not crappy store cookies!), and deprive ourselves of absolutely nothing, as that way lies failure for me at least. So I'm learning about portion control, but SLD is helping me learn by making it so I simply cannot eat a second helping of pasta. All those diet tricks I've been hearing and been unable to make use of for years really work, I'd just never had the tools to make them work for me before. SLD is my tool.

I have not "exercised" as such for about a month, but I do feel better when I get a mild sweat on about 30 minutes a day. I'm still love my DDR, but for various reasons have not had as much chance lately to do it.

BarbH

Re: Rabin the Cat: down to 210 from 242 (posted October 6, 2006)
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2006, 05:00:09 AM »

I'm really happy for you.  Your patience and diligence is certainly paying off.  I'll always remember your helpful advice when i first came here and it's nice to see that you are still sharing that calm and sensible insight into this amazing tool.  Thanks again.  BarbH

Jenn

• **~Feeling more ZEN every day~**
    • come listen to some of our tunes on myspace
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2006, 07:13:06 AM »

Rabin the cat,
   I am so happy to hear about your progress.  Losing weight is really difficult for so many people, seeing you and your husband sticking by it and watching your ticker move closer to your goal is an inspiration.  You and he will become another success story on this board in no time. 

I like hearing that you try to stay away from sugar and do try to watch portions etc, it is a reality that sld reduces appetite, but we still need to pay attention closely to our eating habits.  I am afraid that a lot of newcomers to the diet may not quite understand that and feel that SLD does not work because they continue to have bad nutritional habits, and wonder why it may not work.
  SLD too, make me able to do those little "diet tricks" with ease.  I had quit my oil for about 3 weeks and kept note of how I felt.  It is certain that without SLD , I can not control my eating habits the same way.  Now I am back on, 2 pounds down and here to stay.

cheers
Jenn
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!
I am at a healthy weight and get slimmer/healthier every day!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2006, 07:37:32 AM »

Weight today was 210. I have been doing some serious stress eating, but simply cannot eat the amount of food I used to eat. Today, I braved the scales for the first time in almost a month. The verdict? 210, three pounds lower than my last weigh in.

SLD- it works.

... snip ....

But overall, the net effect has been lowered appetite and lowered ability to cram myself full to bursting. Same for my mate. I did play around with my oil types some, but found nothing that was as effective for me as simple ELOO. Husband settled on canola.

... snip ....

What else? Let's see, we drink quite a bit of water, keep junk food out of the house, eat very little processed sugar (and when I do I make darn sure it's yummy home made something, not crappy store cookies!), and deprive ourselves of absolutely nothing, as that way lies failure for me at least. So I'm learning about portion control, but SLD is helping me learn by making it so I simply cannot eat a second helping of pasta. All those diet tricks I've been hearing and been unable to make use of for years really work, I'd just never had the tools to make them work for me before. SLD is my tool.

I have not "exercised" as such for about a month, but I do feel better when I get a mild sweat on about 30 minutes a day. I'm still love my DDR, but for various reasons have not had as much chance lately to do it.

Very well said, kind of captures the whole essence of things in one post.

Rabin the Cat

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2006, 03:33:23 PM »

Thanks, Stephen.

I have this post that was supposed to go somewhere else, but when I hit post, I was timed out (I'm at work and only set the log in for an hour) and now I can't find the thread I was responding to. Hate to waste any of my brilliant prose, so I might as well put it here!

I'm getting asked rather frequently if I've lost weight as I love clothes and am buying new ones and wearing fitted shirts again (Yes, my boob and waist measurements are significantly different from one another now.)

I say "I take olive oil twice daily to suppress my appetite and change my set point. My body wants to be thinner now". Then if they're interested, I tell them about the book. If it's a friend, I offer to email info on SLD, then share the link to here and share an Amazon link to the book.

If it's a really good friend, I loan one of my books!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2006, 05:12:04 PM »

Thanks, Stephen.

I have this post that was supposed to go somewhere else, but when I hit post, I was timed out (I'm at work and only set the log in for an hour) and now I can't find the thread I was responding to. Hate to waste any of my brilliant prose, so I might as well put it here!

I'm getting asked rather frequently if I've lost weight as I love clothes and am buying new ones and wearing fitted shirts again (Yes, my boob and waist measurements are significantly different from one another now.)

I say "I take olive oil twice daily to suppress my appetite and change my set point. My body wants to be thinner now". Then if they're interested, I tell them about the book. If it's a friend, I offer to email info on SLD, then share the link to here and share an Amazon link to the book.

If it's a really good friend, I loan one of my books!

Buying the new shirts was a big step for me, including, for the first time in my life, buying "trim fit" shirts from Lands' End.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18