Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rabin the Cat: a size 16 skirt and a fitted top (posted October 14, 2006)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rabin the Cat: a size 16 skirt and a fitted top (posted October 14, 2006)  (Read 36932 times)

Rabin the Cat

I started at 242 pounds. I'm a vegetarian who eats healthy foods of many ethnicities. But I ate three helpings at a sitting. First week, we (my husband aka Stink Ape, also a veggie and also with 40+ pounds to lose) used ELOO. I was a little nauseated after, Stink Ape not at all. We both experienced sharp reductions in appetite and cravings by day three. At the beginning of the second week, I was at 238. I weigh on Mondays and have now been 234, 230 and 226 on successive Mondays. I sometimes sneak and weigh during the week and can be up and down as much as 3-4 pounds from the Monday weight. I know the galloping 4 pounds a week pace is unlikely to stay forever, but wow! So gratifying.

Previously, we might eat dinner at 7:30, then eat enough for another full dinner a few hours later. Stink Ape took baggies of veggies, fruit and pretzels to work and snacked all day. I have hypoglycemia and hypothyroidism and Stink is diabetic. We have had a few days with some light headed moments, but unlike every other time I ate restricted calories, I have had no hypoglycemic attacks. Stink's numbers are great, but his diabetes was already controlled.

We switched to canola because the mouth feel was less viscous to me. Stink found no difference. We drink 2 TBS oil upon arising, wait at least an hour, usually more for me, and have breakfast. We eat lunch, then around 6-7, we take the second dose of oil. We eat a tasty but small dinner and are done for the day. We're night owls, so sometimes we eat dinner at 6 and are still up and hungry again at midnight, but a very small snack will suffice. Most evenings we're not hungry again at all. The oil calories we consume are on the high side, but I want to lose 85 pounds eventually and Stink could lose that much. He's  6'5", so he carries it better! I tried taking less and found my appetite not suppressed sufficiently.

My grocery bill is lower. I love to cook and was already making most everything fresh every night anyway. Few processed foods, no sugar, but we already didn't eat sugar. I'm exercising every day (DDR and SLD=the geek's weightloss system!) and have a weird feeling that I'm calling "creeping euphoria."

I'll update weekly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 06:07:49 PM by Rabin the Cat »

Ann H

Re: Rabin the Cat, 5 weeks on SLD
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:59:11 PM »

Hooray, Rabin! Congrats and good luck!

I'm surprised how many of us are vegetarians or whole fooders who already ate very healthy and very diverse diets. (And yet got fat! :) ) I'm one too, and have encountered at least 7 other posters. I think the number here is greater than a percentage that is representative of the population.

Anyway, on another tangent... I'm looking for DDR here as well. Do you have the Play Station one or the TV one? How is it? Fun? Good enough exercise? Would it be doable for a mom with little kids? (I'm hoping they might jump along as well..) I'd love to hear more!

Cheers,
Ann H

Rabin the Cat

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:48:47 PM »

I use a PS 2. I bought the cheapest DDR game and mat I could find. Game had to have a workout mode because I really, really sucked at first. Within a month, I was playing 2-3 times a day, so I bought the $20 mat! I usually do 45 minutes straight now. I still use the light mode and only switch to medium sometimes. I'm absolutely a total newb, but it's the first time I've ever found an exercise that engaged my brain so I'm not completely bored in 5 minutes.

I'm sure little kids could jump around with you. I took three days and slowly and carefully did all the instructional lessons. At one point I thought it had been too long since I took dance to move with any alacrity again, but I can shuffle along fairly briskly now. And I cannot emphasize enough the difference for me in having something for my brain to do while I sweat and grunt.

The vegetarian thing is interesting. We both have been for a dozen years or more. I wonder if the fact that we've already made a huge leap into non-traditional ( by American standards) eating made us more willing to try "oiling up" daily?

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 12:52:04 AM »

My son has been (doing? playing? dancing?) DDR in preparation for his PT test for the National Guard, and he dropped 2 minutes on his run. DDR was the ONLY PT he was doing--about 45 minutes 3 or 4 times a week.

I've been intrigued but I refuse to try it when he can catch me on the mat.  :shock: I'm waiting until he leaves for the summer for Ft. Benning to steal it.

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 04:03:07 AM »

In a seminar of mine on weight control we discussed DDR. Mainly me asking my students about its popularity. I thought it was an exciting new approach to physical fitness. This little discussion may have convinced me to buy one.

Ann H

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 04:55:59 AM »

Yep, I'm convinced, too. Even if I have to buy the Play Station to go with it (though that will suck my husband back to his teenage years within SECONDS if I don't keep it under lock and key :) ).

You're funnee, Bekel!! :)

Yeah, Rabin, I've been a veggie/ethinc-foods-eater/wholefooder for over a dozen years as well. And unconventional in other significant ways. I also had thought that there are relatively so many of us unconventional eater types here because we are more open-minded (throated?) on food and health matters, and perhaps also more web-savvy / educated, than most standard American dieters. I was also surprised to see that so many of us got fat without eating crap: and this is a relief, as now I know I'm not the only person fat on tabouli and soymilk.

Thanks for the DDR stuff! And keep posting: it will be great to keep reading your progress!

Cheers,
Ann H

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 05:56:43 AM »

My son has been (doing? playing? dancing?) DDR in preparation for his PT test for the National Guard, and he dropped 2 minutes on his run. DDR was the ONLY PT he was doing--about 45 minutes 3 or 4 times a week.

I've been intrigued but I refuse to try it when he can catch me on the mat.  :shock: I'm waiting until he leaves for the summer for Ft. Benning to steal it.

I got DDR for the kids (it and Kingdom Hearts are the games they play on it).  Did not realize it was that good of a work-out.

This is an interesting thread.

Rabin the Cat

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 05:58:44 PM »

Today's news:  I can now do 45 minutes of DDR at standard rather than light and I "only" lost a pound. My Monday morning weight was 225. I had some trouble with vague cravings this weekend, but various diet sodas sufficed.

We bought shot glasses with ounces marked so we can eliminate the tablespoon at least for awhile. And I bought some 4 oz aluminum bottles to carry a few doses in for work and travel.

julienuce

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 09:05:09 PM »

Ann H -  DDR is kind of frustrating with little kids, unless you can get them to sit on the couch and watch you and then let them have their turn. My little crazies jump all over the mat while I am trying to be all 'serious' and in exercise mode, and end up cancelling it mid stream, or some other thing that gets annoying. Mine has been in the closet now for months. But it is SOOOO fun and while not great exercise, it is really good for a laugh, and for general coordination. Plus, when you actually get the steps down you kind of feel like a hipster, instead of a rythym-less beluga whale (thats me!!!!!).
My 5 year old isnt big enough to reach the pads quickly enough yet, and not yet coordinated enough, so he gets bored with it after a while. But with a hubby or a friend Oh it is so much fun. To get the full effect you really need to go to an arcade and witness asian teenage boys DDR'ing. I stood jaw to the floor for 2 hours in the mall once watching these lightening fast boys sweating it up to the wierdest music and wierdest moves I have ever seen. Hilarious
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmlN6bV/]

[/url]

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 04:49:11 AM »

Today's news:  I can now do 45 minutes of DDR at standard rather than light and I "only" lost a pound. My Monday morning weight was 225. I had some trouble with vague cravings this weekend, but various diet sodas sufficed.

We bought shot glasses with ounces marked so we can eliminate the tablespoon at least for awhile. And I bought some 4 oz aluminum bottles to carry a few doses in for work and travel.

I'm still trying to find a good shot glass.  Any recommendations of a place to find them?  I tried a package store and some grocery stores.  (You can tell I've never bought one before, I'm a little clueless sometimes).

Thanks.

Rabin the Cat

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 06:34:51 AM »

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 10:32:54 AM »

Nope, they just sold me one. :)

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 07:19:07 PM »

Reading this reminded me that I have a Fleet Buffered Laxative phospho-soda shot glass. My daddy gave it to me--he thought it was funny that I had a Fleet Enema glass. :D

It measures up to 2 T (8 teaspoons) and ounces after that to 3 oz. I didn't know that 2 T was an ounce (I was too busy scoping out the cute guys in my Home Ec class...)

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

Sherrie

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 07:48:08 PM »

I am convinced. I bought one.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 04:36:25 AM »

Reading this reminded me that I have a Fleet Buffered Laxative phospho-soda shot glass. My daddy gave it to me--he thought it was funny that I had a Fleet Enema glass. :D

It measures up to 2 T (8 teaspoons) and ounces after that to 3 oz. I didn't know that 2 T was an ounce (I was too busy scoping out the cute guys in my Home Ec class...)

That is neat (the glass, not paying attention to the wrong thing in class  8) )
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18