Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Isara's progress - finally 10 pounds down!!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Isara's progress - finally 10 pounds down!!  (Read 10872 times)

Isara

6/14/2006
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 09:48:41 PM »

weight 266 (down 1 lb)
calories: 1123

Only 1.5 T of oil today. Frankly, I forgot to take any this evening. I've been so busy finishing my master's thesis that I forgot about everything else. I came out and my roommate fed me a piece of watermelon.

Had an odwalla bar for breakfast and some pasta with caesar salad for lunch. No dinner.

It's a weird sort of personal challenge to keep the calorie numbers low. I'm hungry, but I'm not starving and just not interested in eating that much the past couple of days. Just hope my metabolism doesn't go all screwy.

Isara

6/17/06
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 01:49:57 AM »

too tired to post more than the basics:

weight: 264.4
calories: 1270
1.2 T liquid coconut oil mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Spent the evening in a corset so didn't eat much.

Isara

6/21/06 - up .8
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 07:23:56 PM »

guuuhhhhhh!!!! So, I've been gaining pretty rapidly the past couple of days, much to my annoyance. I have been somewhat lax with my oil intake, but I also haven't been hungry or eating much. I'm eating enough so that my body doesn't think it's starving, but it's pretty clear that I need to get back into my routine (interrupted by stress and family) and lose that 1.2 lbs in a week to make my monthly goal.

Weight: 266.2
calories: 1191
1.5T coconut oil around noon.

I'm wondering if it would be safe to go below this calorie point. I never thought I'd ever be able to eat this low, and still remain comfortable.

Rey

Re: Isara's progress - start: 270 (3wks: down 3.8 lb)
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 12:37:29 AM »

Isara, I am a bit concerned. Your low intake should result in weight loss. Are you sure of your serving sizes and calories per serving? Really, at your weight, even with very sedentary lifestyle you should be loosing couple of pounds a week. Also, you might want to try canola oil.

Isara

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 04:53:31 PM »

Hi Rey:

I am measuring and recording everything meticulously, but I'm also aware that years of yoyo dieting might have slowed my metabolism down in awful ways. On the other hand, I wasn't gaining weight when I was eating twice as many calories. So maybe my body's just "holding on" and I need to be consistent with the oil to lower the set point enough to make my body let go of all that stuff. It's rather annoying, though.

Will canola oil make that much of a difference? Or is that one of those factors which has to be tweaked (much like amount of oil per day)? The coconut is pretty tasteless to me.

Rey

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 06:10:46 AM »

The reason I recommend Canola is that it is fairly universally effective and tastless regardless of brand.

Isara

grr
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 01:32:42 PM »

gotcha.

So a frustrating day on the scale. I'm still sitting somewhere around 3 lbs lost for the month. This is extremely annoying since I have been trying so hard. Fortunately, I'm now used to much smaller portions, but this has caused a problem in that I'm now not eating enough. I *think* that my body is in shock from the reduced calories and my metabolism has slowed down accordingly. As a result, I think that I'm going to have to add in more oil and make sure that I'm consistantly "eating" at least every 3 hours. This is really hard given that I simply don't want to eat, so I don't even think about it!

So much for that whole calorie reduction theory. I've known for a long time that there is more to weight loss than reducing calories, but somehow I managed to fall in with the belief that it is just a simple equation. DUH.

I never thought that I'd be worried about not eating enough...

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: Isara's progress - start: 270 6/2/2006 - down by 3 lbs, but GRR
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 01:52:21 PM »

Isara, I truly doubt that you are not eating enough and that your metabolism has slowed down because there was a gap of too many hours between meals. You might want to see my recent blog entry about the value of skipping meals. I think our bodies work fine with large gaps between meals; what evidence there is suggests they work better that way. I would suggest that when you are not hungry, you not eat.

I can't say exactly why you are not losing weight at the rate you expect but I can say that the same thing often happened to me -- I would eat what I thought was not very much at all and still not lose weight. For me, the solution was to eat (even) less, not more -- and it was quite easy to eat (even) less because like you I wasn't hungry at all.

That said you might also want to keep in mind that if you interpret your current slow loss the wrong way nothing terrible will happen; you just will lose less weight than you might have for a little while. The right way will still be there for you.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 01:52:36 PM by Seth Roberts »

akhdar

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 03:20:50 PM »

Just to put in my two cents, here. The most recent reports which I have read have shown that "yo-yo dieting" (contrary to popular belief) does not incur any sort of permanent slowdown in metabolism. It is oft-repeated and yet has little basis in actual data -- all evidence points to remarkable physiological elasticity. There may be a temporary slowdown but momentum is rapidly retrieved -- even after decades of dieting. This makes intuitive sense to me. We did not evolve eating six judiciously prepared "mini-meals" each day to keep our blood sugar stable. Our amazing bodies evolved during periods of feast and famine, and that which we may term "yo-yo" dieting may have been closer to the original routine of our ancestors. This being said, we also evolved with lots of physical (though non-repetitive: watch those knees and joints!) activity, and without the many toxins with which we are currently bombarded. There is some evidence that chlorine, perchlorate, phthalates, and phylates may negatively impact thyroid function. (Some people choose to supplement with selenium to offset the deceleration, but this should only be done under medical supervision.) I am getting off-topic here but fresh air, fresh water (if there is any left), and eating as locally and as organically as possible may offset some of the chemical toxicity.

Anyway, this is just to emphasise that the body is wonderfully recuperative and the most current studies (which I have seen, anyway) give no credence to a permanent metabolic slowdown from dieting.

Best, Akhdar

Isara

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »

thanks for the input everyone. There are some pieces I can't quite figure out, though...

so, presuming I burn roughly 2800-3200 Kcal/day for basic living (according to a couple of calculators), and I ingest 1100-1500/day, where is that 1700-2100 calories for daily living coming from if it's not falling off of my hips? I did do some measurements to see if perhaps it just wasn't showing on the scale. There has been some positive direction, but it doesn't seem enough, given that I've been sorta bad on protein intake this past month.

That's why I'm thinking it's a metabolism thing. I did have an absolutely ginormous lunch today (gods, I feel sick) in an attempt to shake it up a bit. But based on your responses here, I'll probably continue to cut back, and just exercise more. Oh, and cut out the sushi rice and sandwich breads this week if just to make my $100 bet ;)

By the way, Seth, do you think that Gelataria Naia on Shattuck counts as "crazy spicing?" That is such a dangerous, dangerous shop.... But don't mix cinnamon with black sesame. Tastes like sweet hot dog.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 08:45:18 PM »

Isara, I thought you were an expat in Stuttgart!

Isara

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 08:59:04 PM »

Nein! Ich nichts! <- I think that's the extent of my German right there.

I'm working on my Masters in Museum Studies here in Berkeley. Local yokel :)

Isara

6/25/2006 - who knows anymore?
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 09:28:42 PM »

weight: 266.20
calories: 1839

Tried to shake it up a bit today. Slept late, had 1.5T of canola for "breakfast" around 11. after moving around a bit (packing and hauling boxes of books. It's only when I'm moving that I decide I have too many books. I have run out of bookcases, too) and doing some other research about why I can't seem to lose on a very calorie-restricted diet, I decided to get some serious calorie action in. Went out and got a burrito and some gelato with some friends. I didn't quite realize how many calories was in my lunch! The count above was all from oil and lunch. It's now 7 hours later and I am soooo sick from eating so much.

I thought to do this not only because a number of other sources of information suggested I was eating too few calories, but also because whenever I would diet in the past, I would get plateaus (like everyone else) and found that a "binge" day would jumpstart the loss again. I just hope this doesn't register badly on the week. I have a $100 bet to win on Saturday!! 5lbs a month... that's all I ask...

This week I'm going to start scheduling my oil intake. I'm only getting in 1.5T a day, which isn't enough, I think. Plus, it'll help get my calories up.

Oh yes. Club night tomorrow, which means dancing my bootie off. And starting to walk the 2 miles to work, which is uphill the whole way there. Trying to find ways of sneaking in the exercise.

Isara

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 08:17:54 PM »

weight: 266.4
calories: 1482 (including the 1 oz of rum I will likely have this evening)
1.5 T coconut oil 10 am, 1.5T coconut oil 3 pm

It's a really weird feeling to feel really full from eating 1/2 of a mini watermelon for dinner. I skipped breakfast this morning in favor of oil, then had a caesar salad with chicken & focaccia for lunch.

I tried to get in some more protein, but it's a lot harder than I thought without going way over my calorie total for the day.

Dancing tonight. And that's generally 2 hours of hard dancing.

Isara

6/27/2006 - whoosh to 263.8
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 09:50:46 AM »

FINALLY!! I'm not sure if it was the frentic dancing, the weekend gorging to 1800 calories (ha!), or the doubling my usual intake of oil yesterday that did it, but I plummeted today from 266.4 to 263.8. Horrah!

And got a call from my doctor's office this morning. I decided to get my yearly blood tests last week. My doctors are *always* surprised at how good my blood pressure is, but I've never really known how my cholesterol levels stand. The woman calling me sounded absolutely shocked at my numbers:

Total: 152 (under 180 is ideal)
HDL: 57 (over 50 is ideal)
LDL: 84 (under 130 is ideal)

Not bad for a morbidly obese fat lady. And I didn't mention that I've been sucking down glasses of oil for the past month... :D

anyway: weight: 263.8 (hope it stays there and goes lower, rather than being a fluke!)
calories: somewhere around 1139
1.5 T of coconut oil around 10:30 or so.

I had what I thought was a big lunch today and it made me sooooo sick. So no dinner or oil for me tonight. I even brought work home with me so that I could run to the bathroom without fear of horking all over the valuable paintings in the gallery. Ugh.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 07:30:08 PM by Isara »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18