Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Isara's progress - finally 10 pounds down!!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Isara's progress - finally 10 pounds down!!  (Read 10903 times)

Isara

Isara's progress - finally 10 pounds down!!
« on: June 02, 2006, 09:33:30 PM »

I've been trying to set myself up on some sort of diet and/or exercise plan, with some help (aka, self-induced bribery) from a friend. This same friend pointed me in the direction of this particular scheme. As I am always attracted to the weird, and this is the weirdest thing I've seen in a while (even after 18 months of Atkin's tuna & mayo on pork rinds), I thought I'd give it a shot. It can't hurt me, right?

Weight: 270, June 2, 2006
neck: 18 1/4"
waist: 46 1/2"
hips: 58"
bust: 48 1/2"
underbust: 43 1/2"
upper arm: 16 1/2"
thigh: 27 1/2"

2 Tbls canola at 6:15 pm.

calories eaten today (mostly in the form of sushi): 1,361
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:24:40 AM by Isara »

Isara

Re: Isara's progress - 6/3/06 (269.2)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 10:04:15 PM »

morning weight: 269.2 (-.8 )
calories eaten: 1924

Breakfast: 1/2 small watermelon, FF plain yogurt, slice of bread, some bleu cheese
Lunch: spinach salad with balsalmic vinagrette, feta, bell pepper, snap peas, 1/2 small avocado, egg, slice of bread
Dinner: bruchetta with mozzarella, tomatoes, garlic, lean turkey, basil, olive oil

1 Tbls light OO mid morning, early evening each.

I was so very tired today, so I didn't do anything. The week of stress caught up with me and I had a hard time sleeping. I'll be walking around all day tomorrow, though. Might not be able to get my oils in, either.

I wonder what people's average calories are, generally?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 07:19:54 PM by Isara »

Isara

Re: Isara's progress - 6/4 - 6/5/06 - (268.6)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:05:54 PM »

Yesterday, 6/4/2006: 269.2
calories eaten: not really sure. Probably somewhere around 1800. I logged 800 by early evening, then went out to dinne with some friends. Had a couple of mu shu pork & pancakes (not overly stuffed), a little bit of green onion beef, a fortune cookie, and a couple of tiny fried, sweetened apple pieces. Then we went to gelato where I had about 1c of gelato in a small waffle cone.

I also walked around for 3 hours in the morning, so I got some movement in.

Today, 6/5/2006: 268.6
calories: 1629
I had a simple breakfast of yogurt and an apple, then a big spinach salad for lunch. I'd only racked up about 650 calories, so I was starving by the time I got home at 5. Made myself a california roll, a rock n' roll, and had some raw salmon for dinner, which took care of my hunger and the protein for the day.

Oddly, though, I've not been compelled to take any oil the past couple of days. I have been eating smaller portions the past couple of days, and only eating when I'm full. Yesterday morning at the antique market I was walking around at, I bought what (sounded like) a healthy chicken caesar wrap. Instead I got this vile, greasy chicken with probably two tablespoons of dressing. I tossed half of it away, cringing that I'd spent so much money on it. Managed to override the compulsion to finish it because I'd paid for it. I waste enough money as it is, so $3.50 wasn't going to hurt me to throw away. Better in the trash than in my stomach!

TOM coming up, so I'm pleased with the 1.4 lb loss so far.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 07:20:46 PM by Isara »

Rey

Re: Isara's progress - start: 270
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:25:13 PM »

Isara, please take the oil on a regular schedule. If you don't, the appetite reduction effect will be reduced and you will start eating again. You know better than anyone else that just counting calories is a recipe for failure. You did not get to be 270 because counting calories and will power are effective weight control measures. You got there because they aren't. Think of it this way. If you had dangerously high blood pressure and your doctor prescribed you daily meds, would you quit taking them after a few days because you didn't feel compelled to take them? What would happen then? Would you be able to control your blood pressure by wishing it so? If you would be willing to take dangerous and expensive prescription medication every day of your life for blood pressure why not drink couple of tablespoons of safe and inexpensive oil for your overall health?

Isara

Re: Isara's progress - start: 270
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 01:29:08 PM »

Hi Rey:

Thanks for your input. here's my question, though. If I'm not hungry between meals, generally, and satisfied with smaller portions, couldn't one go without the oil and thereby not have the extra calories, since the oil is acting as an appetite suppressant? I'm keeping the oil in the back of my head as a technique for managing hunger; therefore, if I'm not hungry, then the oil would just be extra calories, right? I am concerned about too much calorie reduction, as that wildly screwed up my metabolism, so I'm trying to stay within a certain range.

Or have I completely misunderstood?

(as for the past, I did quite well when I actually tracking everything. It was the tracking part that I usually lost my battles with. So, for now, tracking is useful to know what a real portion size should be, since I kinda lost track of that. But, you're right; it's hard to maintain)

Isara

Re: Isara's progress - 6/6/06 (268.4)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 07:30:11 PM »

Weight: 268.4 (-1.6 lbs total)
Calories: 1226

great day today. I finally wasn't totally sleepy like I have been the past few days. I've been working on upping the veggies, and trying to stop myself from believing that bread and cheese, no matter how small the portions, is not a meal. I've not touched the two small wheels of fancy French cheese in my fridge for a week.

Learning to make better choices about things. Been doing lots of spinach salads and sushi. Lunch today was a sandwich without mayo (!!! unheard of!), using avocado as the sole source of creamy stuff, with some lean turkey, egg, mozzarella, and lettuce. Tasty, filling, and relatively nutritious (even though it was a bit big and hard to actually eat). Dinner was bruchetta with a topping of more mozzarella, tomatoes, garlic and basil.

Did take some oil (1 T) this evening. I'm still not entirely clear on how the whole oil thing works, as one is supposed to up their intake in oil to suppress more hunger? Or is it in relation to weight? Or do you just take enough to get the benefits? I suppose a lot of those questions are answered in the book, but that'll have to wait until next payday. At least packing up boxes to move is good exercise!

Isara

Isara's progress - 6/7/06 (268.2)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:58:40 PM »

weight: 268.2
calories: 1624

Did pretty well today, although today was so jam packed, I didn't have time for a 2nd serving of oil. So only managed to get 1 T in midmorning.

Still getting pretty balanced nutrition, which is a change, though dinner tonight was more carb-heavy than I usually like (pasta with prawns, scallops, corn, bell peppers and spinach; and gelato for dessert. Had a craving).

Rey

Re: Isara's progress - start: 270 (down 1.8)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 04:23:35 AM »

Isara, I am sorry I didn't respond earlier. The system works by lowering your setpoint weight (the weight that your body wants to maintain) every time you eat flavorless calories. If your body wants to be at 270 and you take the oil, your body may want to be at 267 or 265 (that is just a guess) so you will feel much less hunger until your body reaches that weight then as you drop below it, your hunger will return. The more that you take your oil, the lower the setpoint. SO if you take the oil and drop your setpoint to 265 and then stop, your hunger will return as soon as you get to 265. Even worst, as you continue to take in ditto foods your set point will crawl back up to 270. It is really better if you treat this as a medication for life, not another discardable diet.

SF

Re: Isara's progress - start: 270 (down 1.8)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 06:12:10 AM »

Hi Isara,
You'll understand it better after you read the book.  But yes, you should be taking it every day, even if you're not hungry.  The point of it is not to take it when you're hungry and hope that the hunger will go away.  The point of it is to take it on a regular schedule, regardless of hunger, so as to trick your body into lowering its set point.  It seems like an oxymoron, but taking in MORE flavorless calories in this way will cause your set point to drop faster (at least that seems to be the findings in Seth's studies).  It won't work unless it's adhered to pretty regularly.
As Rey explained, your set point drops, kind of like turning down the thermostat in your house.  Your brain will want to store less fat and burn more fat until your body has reached the new set point weight.
Good luck -
SF

Isara

6/9/06 - down 3.4 total, 1 week.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:40:10 PM »

thanks you two :) Getting better with taking it the past couple of days, but I'm only doing 1T each time. I'm more comfortable upping the "dosage" gradually as I'm getting more used to normal portions. I'm worried about eating too much while taking too many oil calories. And since I'm being reasonably successful for the moment, it won't be a problem if I don't rock the boat too much, will it?

6/8/06: weight 268.4 (up 0.2)
calories: 1351

6/9/06: weight 266.6 (down 1.8, for a total of 3.4)
calories: 1511

Gotta love those little whooshes, especially when it's only a week after starting. In the past, I made it a rule to only weigh once a week. But now I have a fancy new digital scale that 1) works and 2) I'm making active, consistant progress, is a bit fun to see.

Isara

Re: Isara's progress - start: 270 (1 wk: down 1.8 lb)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 07:05:22 PM »

6/10/06: 267.4
calories: 1634 (including 2 cups of milk taken in the middle of the night to help me sleep)

yup, as expected, the whoosh was an anomaly. Oh well. Fun while it lasted ;) noticed, too, that I need to be in ketosis. Gee, I think the last time I smelled the ketone smell was when I was on Atkins, 3 years ago. WOW!

Meals were kinda weird today. Instead of having breakfast, I had 1 T of canola. I was starving until I finally felt like eating, when I had some watermelon. Then waited a couple more hours and had an Odwalla bar. Walked a mile and back to the grocery store, got some salmon for dinner, then made myself some lovely sushi. Yeah, kinda light on the veggies today. Oh well.

I still need to take some more oil now now, I guess. So far, so good! I am expecting some sort of plateau here, since I imagine that my body is probably confused now that I'm not shoving large quantities into it. But here's hoping I keep going. I just need to lose 5 lbs this month...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 09:17:46 AM by Isara »

Isara

6/11/2006
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 07:11:01 PM »

Weight: 267.2 (down 2.8 in 9 days - yay!)
calories: approx 1,116 - whahoo!
Two T of CO, mid-morning, mid-afternoon.

I'm finding that I didn't bother with breakfast really at all this weekend. Nor did I really bother with fruits and vegetables. Something to work on this week.

Went out to dinner tonight with the friend who is helping me with the weight loss. He was also the one who sent me info initially on SLD. We have a deal where I give him $100 at the beginning of the month and he buys me a present with it at the end of the month if I've lost at least 5 lbs. If I fail in this goal, he gets to keep it. I was trying to figure out some sort of concrete reward/failure system that would actually motivate me to do what I need to do, since cajoling myself or trying to work with people simply wasn't working. I didn't care enough under those circumstances, and/or the longterm goal was just too unbelievable for me to believe in it. I've always had a problem with taking steps needed to complete a goal, and weight loss is one of the biggest ways in which this problem interferes.

So, yeah. Concrete failure/rewards. So far, it seems to be working. However, he, after talking with some female friends, thinks the goal is too easy and suggests 8 pounds per month. Honestly, I'm worried about plateaus, my metabolism freaking out, or something else interfering with it and I don't want to set up failure for myself. Does 8 lbs seem more realistic? Right now I'm not actually factoring in exercise, which may change my rate of loss substantially.

Anyone reading this have any opinions (other than how weird this deal is and all that. I get enough of that from my friends) on if 8 lbs is realistic?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: Isara's progress - start: 270 (1.5 wks: down 2.8 lb)
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 07:19:21 PM »

I think it's far too early to start making things harder for yourself. Stick with the 5 pound goal. Nothing wrong with losing 5 pounds/month -- no matter how easy it is.

Maybe never is the right time to make things harder for yourself.

Isara

6/12/06 - down 3.8
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 08:28:16 PM »

thanks Seth. I think that maybe I'll try to aim for 8, but honestly, even 5 is light years away from where I was.

6/12/06 - 266.2 <-cool!
calories - 1802 or thereabouts <- not so cool!!

Ugh. I was hungry allll day today. Maybe it was the beer I had while practicing fire spinning last night. Right. No beer for a while. woke up early, too, which is usually a problem. I don't get hungry normally until late morning, but I was starving at 8:30, so had an Odwalla bar. Then lunchtime rolled around and I had a leftover fish burrito (breaded catfish with cabbage and jack) and some black beans. After eating it, I plugged it into the Fitday program I have. Yikes! I had an 800 calorie lunch.

Dinner, I got hungry again, so went to this weird international food court thing we have around here. I really wanted the greasy pad thai and curried beef, but made the wiser choice of california roll, cucumber roll, and some miso soup. I was still hungry afterwards, so got a little cup of sugar-free frozen yogurt.

So the small victories for today were that I made some good or better choices at dinnertime and I walked home from work.

Only got in one T of oil this morning, though. I'll try to get another one in tonight, but I'm finishing up my master's thesis this week, which means I'm sucking down a lot of flavoured drinks (at the moment, mostly sugar free lemonade and tea) to keep me alert.

I will see about upping the intake of oil to 1.5T 2x a day tomorrow since I've been a bit more food-focused the past couple of days.

Isara

6/13/2006: 267
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 11:03:16 PM »

Weight: 267 (up .8)
Calories: 1375

buh. up some to 267. Oh well. Overall, down 3. 2 more to go to meet my monthly goal.

I had a tiny bit of breakfast (yogurt and a banana), then tried 1.5T of oil late in the morning. Waited a while for lunch, then had a large lunch of salad, levant sandwich (a wrap made with cream cheese, tomato, lettuce, and feta), some hummus and some pita bread.

Late afternoon, I had another 1.5T of oil.

I skipped dinner entirely, but that was mostly because 1) I didn't want to take in any more calories and 2) I was too busy trying to finish my Master's Thesis to want to bother about it. I'm hungry now, though. I expect that tomorrow night I'll do the same when it comes to missing dinner. One more night of hell to go before I turn in my "final" draft.

Hopefully some downward movement on the scale tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18