Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sickness Survival Guide

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sickness Survival Guide  (Read 2218 times)

falconcy

Sickness Survival Guide
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:49:54 AM »

This is a synopsis of a post I made on the Men's Health Forums a while back following a particularly bad dose of D and V. It looks like I will go down with flu any day soon so it is timely. Whilst most of this is relevant to the D and V, it is also good for most common illnesses such as colds and flu.

I refuse to take antibiotics, period. Bad usage of antibiotics created MRSA (Methycillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) and my late father died from this, so my reasons are pretty sound. Any resistance I have to bugs is from my own body, so it is totally natural. Besides, what use are antibiotics if you have a virus?

You can survive on smoothies. I can highly recommend the following, take 4 oranges and juice them, blend the juice with 3 bananas and 6 strawberries. The oranges have vitamin C, the bananas had potassium and the strawberries are a natural antiviral agent.

Water is essential to prevent dehydration, though chilled water is not so easy on the stomach, my suggestion is to warm it slightly and add some fresh lemon juice, possibly a little honey, a little cinnamon can also help (SLD note, sugar/fructose water would be good here).

When on the transit stage from liquid to solid, chicken broth is a good thing at this time, low sodium of course. Brown rice can be added if required to add a little more solid into the food intake.

Oatmeal either plain with water or made with skimmed milk is a good choice, possibly adding strawberries (for the anti-viral properties)

Chick peas, especially the dried variety can often help (eaten as you would nuts) Or cooked garbanzo's with some spicing.

Vitamin/Mineral pills are good to take so as to ensure you are getting enough of the essential things you need to live.

Following a 6 meals a day regimen makes it easier, so the little and often pattern helps keep you from feeling too bad, sure, you'll keep hitting the bathroom, but at least you'll not feel too weak.

This is a time when we are all at out most vulnerable, so having recovered from a dose of whatever, we need to get back up on the horse as quickly as possible. As soon as regular food is possible, get back to eating normally, and by that I mean eating clean and not back to junk food.

Hope this helps.

CarolS

Re: Sickness Survival Guide
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:02:02 AM »

Aww sorry to hear you might be getting sick.  Good tips.  Gatorade is helpful as well to replace lost electrolytes and some sugar.

Hope you don't get sick.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »

by "D and V" you mean diarrhea and vomiting?

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 12:12:49 PM »

just to add a tiny bit of support to you falcony,  i've been taking vitamin C supps for two years and i think i've been sick once.  i love my vitamin C!

falconcy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 05:03:25 PM »

by "D and V" you mean diarrhea and vomiting?

That's right Seth, not this time around, but I had a "tummy bug" at the time I wrote the original.

falconcy

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 05:06:44 PM »

Now here's a weird one, two of the kids went down with it so far. I've been lucky, dunno how I'll feel in the morning, could have it by then. It seems to have a 24 hr post contact infection and lasts about 48-72 hrs. I wonder whether the SLD will have another useful side effect ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18