Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Found the perfect little bottle for carrying oil

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Found the perfect little bottle for carrying oil  (Read 9229 times)

tenista

Found the perfect little bottle for carrying oil
« on: June 02, 2006, 02:10:19 PM »

Today I was going to be out of the house for the first time since I started the diet for my oil dose (I work at home), so I was looking around for something to put 2 TB of oil in and I found my little cache of travel makeup bottles.  I had one with a little pull up/push down spout and it was perfect!   I did wrap it in a plastic baggy just to make sure it didn't leak oil into my purse.  You can get these bottles at beauty supply places (where I get mine) and even some supermarkets and drugstores. They cost 1-2 dollars. 

CarolS

Re: Found the perfect little bottle for carrying oil
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 03:24:11 PM »

I use the little jam jars with metal lids.  I put a tablespoon of oil in each and take them to work.  Then I add a little water when it's time to take it.  Best thing - no leaks!

Ann H

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:45:18 AM »

I get little plastic medicine bottles from my pediatrician every time the kids are sick. They use these generic bottles, dispensing their liquid meds from the pharmacy's bulk containers into them.

They already have ML measurements on the side. And are reasonably unleaky. Pretty much perfect, once washed. (And washed well--or else, after my oil it's, "Hm, is that the faint taste of Robitussin? Ah, no--acetaminophen.")

And I like the medical association. The oil is my meds!

Ann H

Rabin the Cat

creatrix

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 02:51:44 PM »

I use those little toiletry bottles you get at hotels. I keep them around for camping, etc., so I used up an ounce of shampoo and an ounce of shower gel and now I have two little oil bottles.

waynewirs

• Fading Toward Enlightenment
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 06:59:33 AM »

I use these little 4oz squirt bottles (see my original post here: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=661.0). Put a little water in your mouth, tip your head back and squirt a dose of ELOO. Works great even at work.  :)

Wayne Wirs
Author/Photographer of Fading Toward Enlightenment
http://Fade2e.com
Day 31: 9 lbs. lost.

Jamin

Hammer gel bottle
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 11:00:54 PM »

I had an extra Hammer Gel bottle (sports energy gel) that I use.  It holds 10 oz.  I had to fill it up at 1 tbsp intervals to make the ounce markings with a Sharpie pen on the side.  Works great and I know I'm getting the right dosage.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 06:24:03 AM »

I tried a white film canister (remember those from the 'old-time' cameras when you actually had to wind the film?). Fuji puts their film in them. Kodak canisters probably will work (they are black with a grey lid) but the Fuji lids fit into the canister while the Kodak lids have a 'lip' outside of the canister. No muss, no fuss. For my 1 T of oil there was enough room in the canister to put water on top and slug it back like a shot glass.

Want more fun? Put about 2 T of water and a 1/4 to 1/2 Alka-Seltzer tablet in a Fuji film canister. Put the lid on and place it upside down.

You want to do this outside on a sidewalk...trust me.

(I teach science in a special ed HS classroom. This is a super introduction to Newton's Laws.)

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

splitbamboo

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 09:36:14 AM »

What's the science behind the mentos and diet Coke thing?

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 12:19:37 PM »

What's the science behind the mentos and diet Coke thing?
I have to google that--don't have a clue what that is.

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 12:31:14 PM »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5341058

Mentos provide a surface for CO2 to gather--hang together. They have a rough surface, so there's a lot of surface area. The molecules move at the same time, which creates the reaction...from what I heard on the above link.

He mentions doing it as a kid with M&Ms--I've seen that, and he's right--it just gets fizzy. They are very smooth and smaller than the Mentos. So the theory sounds right.

In the Alka-Seltzer rockets, the Alka-Seltzer fizzes which gives off CO2. Since there's a limited space for the CO2 molecules to expand in the canister, when the space is full the extra molecules have to go somewhere. That force pushes the lid off and propells the canister up (equal and opposite reaction).

We found that using hot water creates a faster and more vigorous reaction, like the young lady in the NPR report.

And for a twist on that... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5695044769427318137

Freaking awesome!

bink

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 07:22:26 AM »

I use these 2-ounce bottles from the Container Store: http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=74067&PRODID=69233. I fill it to the 50 ml line and that's my oil for the day. I just swig from it at the appropriate times.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 07:53:44 PM by bink »

thinktwice

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 05:55:54 AM »

One note on traveling and storage of canola oil. My first trip I used sugar water and will use this instead of canola oil after my experience on my second trip. I looked around for something to store my doses of canola oil and settled on this little Rubbermaid juice holder. All plastic, good seals and a folding straw to boot. So I put my canola oil doses in and put the whole thing in a double zip lock bag. All is still not leaking when I remove it form my carry on during my flight. I pop open the straw and then....it started gushing oil. I guess the pressure difference did it. The thing looked like a mini- oil derrick. Out came most of the canola oil. All over me, the floor, everything. What a mess. I'll bet the people cleaning the plane had some puzzled looks when they found my seat! So needless to say I will stick to sugar water on flights until I have another brilliant storage idea. he he!

falconcy

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 12:26:43 PM »

I think sugar water on flights is gonna be the norm for quite a while thanks to some inconsiderate @$$holes who probably caused more chaos with the threat of what they planned to do than actually being able to carry it out.

Ann H

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 11:09:07 PM »

Yep. My family's got a 31-hour flight around the world--4 planes and an overnight airport stay!!--to get back to Kentucky in September, with a 15-month old and a 4-year old, squeezed into those horrible economy seats. How in the hell are we going to manage it without drinks, toothpaste, etc? I can't even face the thought squarely. It was completely miserable before, already, without this horror. If it gets any worse, I swear I'm gonna start taking cruise ships instead to go back to see my folks.

Any tips, anyone? OT, I know, but I am panicked!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18