Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Scared Of Sugar

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scared Of Sugar  (Read 9368 times)

cmark519

Scared Of Sugar
« on: April 02, 2009, 04:45:57 AM »

I'm sure you see this all the time, but...

I'm not so sure about this sugar thing. I really want to gain AS through this diet, because I think appetite is my problem, but I'm worried about consuming nearly 6 T. of sugar A DAY! Especially now because I'm just starting out (4 days in) and am still eating 3 meals a day (though consuming less food, I think). I'm not only concerned that I'm adding an extra 250 calories, but I'm concerned that it's SUGAR! And a lot of it! I just wonder what's going on with my blood sugar right now. My mom is diabetic...we thought she was type 2 and turns out she's more of a type 1. I'm taking sugar and not oil because I can't get oil right now but want to start building up my AS, especially since my appetite has gone crazy since I got to Romania 3 weeks ago. I'm hoping that I can find a flavorless oil here and do that instead, but I'm worried I won't be able to. What if I'm consuming 6 T. of sugar everyday for 6 months????? I'm just concerned that even if I'm eating less and losing some weight it's still not HEALTHY.

Sorry for the freak out.   :|

Also, it would be awesome if someone could please list some acceptable oils for SLD? Hopefully I can find something. And I don't have a nose clip (though I'm starting to get really interested in that!).

THANKS!

shovelqueen

Re: Scared Of Sugar
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »

Any oil will work, as long as you can find a way to take it without sensing it's flavour.  ELOO, EVOO, canola, walnut, almond, soy, "salad oil", coconut (either refined or EV), possibly heavy cream or butter, even.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:04:37 AM »

I understand you cmark, I have the same fear. Sugar is poison or so they say. But lemme tell my story in a nutshell...
... in May 06 - yes that's almost 3 years ago  :shock: - I started SLD with fructose water (as I tried a tip of my tongue in oil and felt nausated). I went for the fructose bec it wasn't so "devilish" then - now it is! I felt AS in that I stopped nibbling between meals, and 3 weeks later I shed my first kilogram. After 2 or 3 months thou I was totally stalled, so I gave up on sugar water and started my oil saga. Here's what I tried: olive oil both virgin and refined, a mix of the two, grapeseed oil, walnut oil, flaxseed oil, canola, cooking oil - all of them straight, noseclipped and not, as a shot floating on sugarwater, and mixed with heavy cream; I also tried noseclipped chocolate and also peanut butter. Oh and lecithin milk too. And milk with oil. And smoothies with oil inside, without, crazy spiced, with protein powder, and whatnot. The only I didin't try: coconut oil - cant' find it anywhere.

Conclusion, I seemed to have AS for 2 or 3 days at most. No weight loss. I took breaks, I tried diets combined with SLD. Nope, nothing worked. So, recently, encouraged by others' success with sugar water, I'm back at it. I commented it on my thread - a venting of sorts. I asked opinions. And here I am back on sugar water, but I don't have blood sugar problems - so far. I figure a coke or two has more sugar than what I have in a day. A slice of cake may have more. etc etc. So if that's the only sugar I take... and if I lose my excess weight... I hope I'll be safe  :D

A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

VeganKitten

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:59:55 AM »

I'm scared of sugar too. But I might experiment with it again.

so.cal.fan

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »

Pure Fructose (buy in health food store) doesn't spike your blood sugar.
Mr. Roberts comments on that in his book.
I've done some research and he is correct.

Refined white sugar.....I would not recommend.

NTB

• Getting Stronger
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »

so.cal.fan, 

The reason that fructose is complex is that there is a difference between short term and long term effects.  In a nutshell, fructose has no negative short term effects on blood sugar, but--at elevated levels and over time--it causes elevation of triglycerides and insulin resistance.   

Robert Lustig has a very interesting talk on the "evils" of fructose.  Not just the fructose in high fructose corn syrup, but ANY fructose (including of course the fructose that makes up 50% of sucrose or table sugar).  Personally, I think that Lustig goes a bit too far in equating fructose to "alcohol without the buzz".  But his ideas are probably more right than wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

What I take away from this is that moderate consumption of fructose, as SLD doses or a small amount of fruit each day, is probably no problem.  But sustained & high consumption, as with sodas, lots of sugary or starchy foods, or even overindulging in fruit, could cause insulin resistance and liver dysfunction, and can actually cause obesity and the other symptoms of "metabolic syndrome", sometimes called "Syndrome X"

Todd
Click HERE to check out the Deconditioning Diet and other self-improvement ideas on my blog "Getting Stronger"

VeganKitten

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 03:25:59 PM »

Update: I am very happy with NO refined sugar in my diet. (What's naturally occurring in whole fruits is the only kind of sugar I get).

Phoebe

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »

I'm not so sure about this sugar thing. I really want to gain AS through this diet, because I think appetite is my problem, but I'm worried about consuming nearly 6 T. of sugar A DAY!

I've recently found that I can get AS by taking only a small amount of sugar in water.  Even 1 tbsp in 8 oz of water will give me some AS.  That's only 45 calories.  I don't know yet if the AS will continue over a long period, though.  Just thought I'd mention that it's worth it to experiment with small amounts of sugar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18