Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
I gained 3 pounds, HELP!!!

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I gained 3 pounds, HELP!!!  (Read 18281 times)

TimSimpson

I gained 3 pounds, HELP!!!
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:56:27 AM »

I started ten days ago. As suggested, I took two table spoon sugar in the morning (five or six teaspoon sugar) and three tablespoon extra light oil in the night (well after dinner and just before bed). I even brushed my teeth well before taking oil.

I did not take anything at least one hour before and after taking sugar water or oil. However, I did not feel less hungry at all. I ate more or less the same as I used to. However, when I weighted yesterday I found that I gained three pounds. Any one could offer his help?

PS. I regularly play tennis and go to gym at least twice a week.

Many thanks
Tim

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: I gained 3 pounds, HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:09:05 AM »

Tim,
you should be taking at least twice your weight in pounds in flavorless calories.  You don't say how much you weigh.

1 tablespoon = 15ml = 3 teaspoons

oil is 120 calories a tablespoon. 
sugar is 45 calories a tablespoon.

2 TBS sugar = 90 calories
3 TBS oil = 360 calories

You must pay attention to your body's signals.
When I first started SLD, I discovered that what I had thought was hunger, was actually thirst.  :shock:
And SLD will not help with mindless eating.

If your weight is less than your set point, then you will feel hungrier until your set point drops below your weight.

When you first start drinking large quantities of oil, your stomach may require extra fluids until it learns to digest the oil, so your 3 lbs might be water retention.

Good luck!

Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Clarinette

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:35:55 AM »

Tim,
It is better to not smoke or brush our teeth in the SLD Window of two hours.
Welcome Tim to SLD. Give it a good try, it might work for you too.

TimSimpson

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:05:32 AM »

Thank both of you, Karky and Clarinette.

I weight 175 pounds so the amount of calories seems OK. I will try to drink more water to suppress my hungry (maybe thirsty). I do not smoke at all.

Karky, I am not quite sure with your last words. I swallow three table spoons of oil directly. Do I need to dilute it by the water? Or just drink more water before?

Thanks

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:29:48 AM »

Tim, how much weight are you actually trying to lose?  Most people find that when they only have that "last ten" to lose, SLD is different than it is for those of us with much more to lose.  Assuming you are a guy, 175 seems like it would be a pretty healthy weight, unless you are rather short, so I'm assuming you have very little to lose.

Also, it seems like you are probably taking too many flavor free calories.  1.5 to 2.5 times your body weight in calories (for you that range would be 262.5 - 437.5, and you are taking in 450 calories.  You may find that you should cut the flavor free calories (for example only take the oil, not the sugar water) to lose weight.  However, at the same time, some people find that they need even more than the regular range in flavor free calories, so a good experiment for you would be to start at the low end of the range, and work your way up, when you find the amount of calories that gives you good AS, don't take any more! 

And remember, everyone does differently on SLD.  Some people do awesome on the ELOO (Karky for example) and some people don't (me).  So if you've done ELOO for a while and find you aren't getting very good AS, you may want to try switching to Canola or Coconut Oil (which will need to be noseclipped), or something else like Walnut oil or Flaxseed Oil.    However, you should make transitions very carefully, as your body needs time to adjust to new oils.

And finally, some people take a VERY long time to see the AS effects of the oil, so be patient.  Since, I assume, you don't have much to lose, you may find you won't get much AS at all, sadly.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »

Karky, I am not quite sure with your last words. I swallow three table spoons of oil directly. Do I need to dilute it by the water? Or just drink more water before?

That just means that it is possible that you are retaining fluids instead of peeing them out, in order to make it easier for your stomach to digest the oil.
As soon as your stomach gets it figured out, you will eliminate the extra fluid.
Do your fingers and ankles feel a little puffy?
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

honey

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »

hi
i have been doing the Sld for about two months now and i havent gotten any results :  :( ( iam taking 4 tables spoon of ELOO and my weigth is 178 pounds and i am only 5 feet 2 inches si need to loose ALOT)
At first my AS was mild but now it is significant but i still i havent lost any weight..Infact i had intitially gained a couple of pounds but then i cut back on my intake of fattenining food so i am back to my starting weigth but its been a awile and no results  :( :( :(
i am very very depressed...i am an acitve person( gym 6 days a weeks!) and having no weight loss is serously depressing.

Also, due to AS you eat less but isnt eating too little and skipping meals unhealthy?
Help would be greatly appreciated,.

goblyn

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »

Well, its possible that you are taking too much ELOO.  Try going down to 3 T per day and see how that works out.  Some people do really well on much more flavor free calories and some people do well on less. 

You could also try another oil or SLD method totally.  Other flavorless oils that people use with good results are Canola (rapeseed), coconut (provided it is refined coconut oil) and walnut (again, refined walnut oil).  Other oils can be used if they are taken while wearing noseclips to block out the flavor.  Or you could try sugar water, or noseclipping regular food, or crazy spicing yoru food.  There are plenty of ways to get the flavor free calories, if you've doing it for 2 months without much results, its definately time to change your strategy!

As far as SLD being unhealthy...how many calories would you say you consume on a daily basis anyways?  Just the oil alone is giving you 480 calories, and if you eat just one more average sized meal you're probably taking in at least 1000 a day.  While that's definately low, its not so low you are endangering your health.  If you are taking in a VERY limited amount of calories, however, you may have put your body into "starvation mode" in which case your body is holding onto its fat reserves and conserving energy, which means your weight loss will slow down.  The way to get out of this, would of course be to eat more!  If you find yourself only being hungry once in a while, you could make a concious effort to make sure the foods you eat when you are hungry are calorie and nutrient dense enough to bring yourself up to a more manageable level of calorie consumption.  However, that doesn't appear to be your complaint since you don't have AS.

As far as skipping meals goes...well its actually been debated that skipping occasional meals is beneficial to your health, studies done on intermittent fasting (skipping the occasional meal) show that people who do so have better blood pressure, blood insulin levels, and all kinds of other health benefits.  The problem occurs when people regularly skip a meal (say breakfast), and are then eating more than necessary at other meals and end up taking in too many calories.  Its not the skipping meals itself that is the problem, but rather how they make up for the skpped meal. 

With AS though, instead of purposefully restricting your diet (say, on a regular low calorie diet, you get super hungry and of course this leads to bingeing which is counter productive), you are listening to your body.  We only eat 3 times a day because that's traditional.  But our bodies don't necessarily need food that way.  AS helps us to realize what our bodies want.  Some days our bodies want breakfast and lunch and dinner and snacks in between, and other days it wants one meal and is happy from that.  I think the important thing to do on SLD is to really pay attention to what your body is saying.  If your body says "I'm full" don't eat.  If it says "I'm hungry" eat.  Its really as simple as that!

Hopefully this helps!

Polaroid Doll

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »

Tim,

When you say that you ate "more or less the same as I used to", do you mean you ate the same number of calories as before, plus the sugar and oil? If this reading is correct, then the explanation for the weight gain is simple. If you're adding a few hundred calories of oil and sugar, you need to decrease the calories of regular food, since your body is going to look at net calories when deciding whether or not to gain or shed weight.

honey

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »

thnx for your reply  :)
oh but i like taking ELOO because it has alot of positve side effects such as great hair  :) Also, i am not sure that where i live these other kinds of oils would be more availabe...maybe i can try ELLLO for a while longer because as i said earlier that i was following the traditional way of eating that is three(smaller than normal) meals a day nad maybe thtas why my calorie intake was high?. And ELOO is giving me apetite supression.

You mean if i eat just one meal a day it is totally healthy? Is it the same thing if i eat smaller portions but eat throughout the day? Is the important thing that my overall calorie intake should be equal? such as 1000 calorie? (including oil)

Also, u said i was taking too much oil but i read in the book that if u dont get results in a month than you should increase your dose by one spoonful  :?

goblyn

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »

Well if you can't find other oils, then stick with ELOO (though I think that the other benefits are the same if you were to switch to canola oil or coconut oil).

I think that the important thing is to listen to what your body has to tell you.  When you aren't hungry, don't eat, especially not just because it's "lunch time"  eat because you are hungry.  I know that isnt always possible (especially when you have other people around you that need to be fed or that you would like to eat with), but as often as you can, try to listen to what your body is really telling you.  Also when you are eating, pay close attention to when your body says you are full.  Often this is such a subtle response that you don't realize you are honestly full and can continue eating with no problems.  It takes a little bit of practice but it can happen.  So if your body says that it only wants to eat once per day, then fine, go for it.  But the likeliest scenario is that on some days you won't feel like eating very much, other days you'll want to eat alot.  You just go with what your body is telling you and you should be okay.

goblyn

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 03:19:40 PM »

Oh and i forgot to answer your question about taking less oil.  Yes the book does say to increase the amount of oil, but plenty of people here have found that sometimes decreasing the amount of oil will give you AS (and some people find that they need to REALLY increase the amount of flavorless calories).  SLD is all about self experimentation.  The book is a guideline, its what generally works for most people, but a look at the forums here tells you that most people don't do SLD the same way!  So I strongly advocate switching things up from time to time.

honey

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »

thanks again!  :D
is it possible that the diet might not work for me? i was really hoping it would   :( Should i give it a few more weeks as i have AS only two weeks ago? maybe it will start working now? i am so depressed and i really want this to work.
also, the overall calorie intake shouldnt be more than 1000(oil included) for weight loss? Because if i am eating less than normal but my calorie intake might be high because of oils..

goblyn

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 07:22:01 AM »

Okay, first of all, 1000 calories is REALLY low!  That's too low.  If you are a female, most people report that they get the best AS and weight loss from eating around 1400 calories per day.  And for men like myself (I don't count calories so I don't necessarily know), I'd say somewhere in the vicinity of 1600-1800 calories will promote good AS and weight loss.

If you're only eating 1000 calories per day, you've likely put your body into "starvation mode" where it refuses to lose any more weight!  So definately try eating more, my advice would be to try adding in the extra calories per day with either SLD dose (like oil) or with small snacks spread out through the day.

My first advice to you is still my best advice.  Switch oils or methods.  I guarantee that you will get similar health benefits with canola oil that you get with ELOO.  Please look around to see if you can find other SLD friendly oils in your area.  If you can't find flavorless oils, there are plenty of REALLY healthy oils that have flavor (for example, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, walnut oil, advocado oil, etc) but you can just nose clip them. 

If you have been doing this for a long time and haven't tried different oils and haven't lost weight, you will most likely not do well with ELOO.  Everyone is different, plenty of people report no success with ELOO and switch to something different and suddenly get great AS.

Finally, if nothing else works, you may wish to address the foods you are eating besides your SLD foods.  Some people find that SLD works best in conjuction with a low carb diet, others find that they do well with any sort of diet.  Nougat, one of our posters, struggled with stubborn weight for quite a while, then switched to a low carb diet and has suddenly started losing weight.  So its possible that your diet is just not working for you.

So I say, definately eat more calories per day to get yourself out of starvation mode, switch oils or methods, and examine your diet!

honey

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »

Thanks for all your help :)
You have reccomended that i increase my calorie by incresing my oil intake, however in your previous post you advised that i should lower my intake  :?. Also, you said that i should increase my calories,  yet you said that due to AS i might not even need more than i meal( I feel fuller sooner and sometimes as you said due to AS we dont need to eat much, so i might eat less than 1400) i am confused should i watch my calories to get myself out of starvation mode or eat at my body's urges?

"If you have been doing this for a long time and haven't tried different oils and haven't lost weight, you will most likely not do well with ELOO."
Doesn't it make a difference that i havent had AS for more than a couple of weeks? Doesnt it mean that ELOO has started working now?
However i will definately look for other oils  :)
so sorry, for bothering you so much but i really apreciate your help.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18