Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Experiment in stopping binges -- Turn the Horse

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experiment in stopping binges -- Turn the Horse  (Read 10881 times)

Kirk

Experiment in stopping binges -- Turn the Horse
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:11:12 PM »

Some of us suffer from binges.  What we call,  'Eating like a horse.'

I'm trialing an SLD-inspired technique for stopping binges.  The protocol: overwhelm your internal systems with unique flavors.  When you feel a binge starting, eat.  Yes,  eat.  But eat different flavors in each bite.  By different, I mean combinations you have never tasted before.  I'm not talking about strange gross flavors.  You don't have to boil brussel sprouts to death in nam pla.  Use flavors you like, food you like, spices you like.  Combine them in ways you have never tasted before.  And combine them one after the after.  As soon as you finish one combination, put the next one in your mouth.  That way the residual flavors from the previous combination mix with the current combination.  Each combination should be about a mouthful.

A few examples:
  • a slice of cheese sprinkled with two spice combinations
  • an apple slice spread with peanut butter and dusted with ground pepper and ground nutmeg
  • a carrot sprinkled with a combination of pickle juice and hot sauce
  • nuts combined with dried fruit combined with several spice combinations
  • milk flavored with juice and ground cloves
  • several grapes chewed with half a dozen caraway seeds
  • a piece of raw cauliflower dotted with a dab of ketchup

Notice that all of these have just a few flavors and require minimal preparation.  And they are all flavors that you like.  You've just never had them all talking together in your mouth at the same time.

One question that I have about this is whether it works only for people who are relatively-up-to-date on their SLD calories, or if it would work for somebody who doesn't do SLD.

The second question that I have about this . . . I don't know how effective it would be to try to alter ditto foods.  For example, if your secret sin is Dove dark chocolate and you have a full bag lurking in the closet, I recommend using other foods.  I'm not sure you can override manufacturing-strength flavors.  (But if you want to try dipping a Cheeto in orange marmelade, it might be an interesting experiment.)

I call this technique Turning the Horse.   It seems to be working for me.  I'm curious to discover if others find it works for them.

VeganKitten

Re: Experiment in stopping binges -- Turn the Horse
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »

This could help out when one hasn't the presence of mind to nose-clip a binge (I never manage it, although I think Heidi has)  8)

I will try this next time I'm feeling out-of-control snacky.

Heidi 555

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »

Very interesting approach Kirk.  I've done unusual combos but not during a binge and not in succession like that.  I nose clip all binges and haven't had any binges in awhile.  I'd like to give your method a try, but it might be awhile because I'm nose clipping a lot at this time.  I'll also mention this technique to my friend who has problems with binges.  I like your suggestions for unusual combos.  You mentioned some things that I wouldn't have thought of that sound good.

Do you repeat a combination after awhile, or is each bite always different?  For example, do you think it would work to go back to the first combo after 10 different bites/tastes or does it need to be perpetually different?
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

Kirk

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »

Interesting question about repetition.  I just haven't experimented with this enough to know.  I've used it about five times, and generally by the fourth or fifth specialty, the Need To Binge has gone away.  It's been particularly useful after a meat-and-potatoes dinner, which historically has caused a cravings for sweets.  It was not unusual for me to finish off three bowls of ice cream when a binge struck.  Or an entire bag of Honey Cashew Crunch, should I have been so careless as to let it fall in the grocery cart.  So if it's a sweet-cravings-binge underway, I'll generally find a sweet item and pair it with something unexpected.  I suppose it depends upon what's in the kitchen, but if I were to attempt to disrupt a post-meat-and-potatoes binge right now, I'd:

--drizzle maple syrup on carrot
--place a drop of hot sauce on a date
--mix nuts, raisons, and a spice blend
--slice an apple (or pear or orange or another fruit) and sprinkle different spices on each section, spices such as [cinnamon, cloves, allspice, anise, ginger, fennel]
--spread strawberry jam on a piece of cheese
--take a swig of juice and chew a piece of celery
--eat several grapes with a pinch of spice

Even that last one could be varied from bite to bite . . . the only spices I wouldn't want to use with grapes would be from the onion/garlic family.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »

Even that last one could be varied from bite to bite . . . the only spices I wouldn't want to use with grapes would be from the onion/garlic family.

I used to sit next to a guy at work who ate an english muffin spread with strawberry jam and then raw garlic everyday at work because he read that garlic was good for what ails ya.  :shock:
He said it was an acquired taste.  :lol:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Kirk

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:52:14 AM »

Good story, Karky.  I believe Seth talks about something similar on his blog in the Calorie Learning collection. 

I'm a reasonably good cook so I pretty much know what will combine and what won't.  But that's only true with known flavors with single tones.  If I'm using a spice mix, it's more of a gamble.  Several times I've put together something with spice mixes, tasted it with the targeted food, and said to myself, 'Never going to that restaurant again'. 

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:05:16 AM »

Kirk, this is a great idea!  I find that one of my biggest AS downfalls is if I eat supper when I'm not technically "hungry" and eat more out of a timing issue than anything else.

So I'll eat, and then its like I've opened floodgates.  Rather than "quenching" my hunger, all eating does is to stimulate my appetite, and I want more.  I have been trying to be good and just tell myself to not eat, or do something to take my mind off of eating, but sadly there are days when I just go from the dinner table to the fridge! 

It just makes sense to me that eating an unusual combination of flavors would help to really shut the floodgates again.  Perhaps I'll give it a shot tonight!  Thanks for the tip!

flickad

• Girlface
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:45:54 PM »

Great idea, thanks!

EDIT - I tried this with sugarless chocolate (combined with low sugar jam and spices), found four small squares very satisfying. Also with sugarless ice cream (chilli, different spices, orange essence, jam and Parisian essence); two bites were enough. I also tried pickles and Tabasco sauce for a snack.

(I try not to eat too much sugar due to the insulin response).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:37:13 PM by flickad »

nat76

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »

I did stop a binge (on cheetos -lol) by putting tarragon, hot sauce and oregano on it. It did not taste bad, but it cut the binge, and my appetite for hours. I ended up eating a normal portion of the thing. Interesting idea.
Nat76

javacody

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 07:30:56 AM »

Hmm. Bacon wrapped apple slices?

I found jalapeno cherry butter at an Orchard near Omaha. Maybe some of that on a slice of roast beef or a piece of cheese? :)

Interesting ideas, and fun too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18