Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Crazy Spicing Revisited (and Twisting)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crazy Spicing Revisited (and Twisting)  (Read 5783 times)

Kirk

Crazy Spicing Revisited (and Twisting)
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »

Seth previously discussed two major recipes for Crazy Spicing: a smoothie, and a bean dip. The key charactistics of his CS recipes are:
a) a number of unusual flavors blended together
b) a smooth texture, such that no one flavor can be distinguised from another

I asked myself: 'what other recipes consist of a smooth texture and can be relatively bland, so that added flavors can make it unique?'  Soup and Scrambled Eggs seemed like natural fits. My CS versions can be found at:

http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=6916.0
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=6917.0

Twisting

On the other hand, sometimes Crazy Spicing is too much.   I don't want to totally transform my food.  I just want to avoid ditto food.  The boring cousin of CS is the act of slightly altering the taste of food.  I call this 'Twisting', as in the image of twisting a volume dial.  Sometimes there's a small twist, such as lightly sprinkling dried mint over fruit.  Sometimes there's a major twist, as seen in my recipe for Really Twisted Eggs (  http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=6918.0 )

I twist most of my 'regular' food.  I ran an experiment for three days, where I 'twisted' regular food and avoided any other SLD-type techniques.  The result?  I neither gained nor lost, nor did my hunger level change (although I did not feel appetite suppression).  And I had no binges.  By my calculations (for my body), Twisting results in about a 20% effect in terms of SLD calories: twist a thousand calories, get 200 SLD calories.  Roughly.

Those whom find it difficult to nose clip around family or at work, Crazy Spicing and Twisting techniques might serve as useful alternatives.  After all, nobody needs to know just how bizarre your food tastes.

By the way, the concept is not new, in that Seth talked about these ideas in his book, and also on his blog, such as:  http://www.blog.sethroberts.net/2007/01/16/the-benefits-of-theory/ .  The advantage of using the Twisting term is that you can think of twisting the flavor dial just a bit, as in home-cooking, or all the way, as in Crazy Spicing, or somewhere in-between.

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Re: Crazy Spicing Revisited (and Twisting)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »

Twisting, the concept, has been something I've been doing for a while.  I find that if I add Sriracha hot sauce (its an asian style hot sauce, affectionately known as Rooster Sauce, due to its packaging, I find this is my favorite hot sauce as it has a unique flavor on its own, and while still spicy, it isn't so spicy that more than a few drops will kill you, I use mine almost like most people use Ketchup) to a dish that "shouldn't" be spicy (one of the most successful uses so far has been putting it on fettucini alfredo), I don't end up eating as much as I normally would.  I still enjoy it because I love the flavor of the sauce, and I love the food I'm eating, but I wouldn't eat them together.  I have a feeling that CONSTANTLY putting Sriracha on EVERYTHING will create a ditto food effect, but for now, it helps to mix up flavors.

I'm a bit confused by your twisted eggs though, as they almost seem to be nothing more than an omlette (albeit with some unusual ingredients) or similar dish.  I have a feeling that I would end up eating just as much of the twisted eggs as I would with any other egg dish I might make...

Kirk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »

Gobylyn, yes, I agree, adding a newly-discovered hot sauce to your food is a 'twist' variation.  And, as you noticed, if used for too long of a time on the same foods, then it will become a ditto flavor.  Two variations come to mind . . . swap out hot sauces every month, or, and this is what I do when my wife cooks, because she rotates through the same eight recipes, create a quick, uniquely-spiced sauce using yogurt or sour cream, flavored with various spices or spice blends.  I wouldn't do this for porterhouse steak, but for a meal of pork chops and canned spinach, sure.

As for the twisted eggs, the three differences between it and an omelette are:
1) the use of four random spice blends, bloomed in the heating oil
2) the eggs are more poached/steamed whole, than whisked together as with an omelette
3) I think it's easier to use leftover mesculen with this variant
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:10:16 AM by Kirk »

VeganKitten

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »

:D :D :D :shock: :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18