Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Goblyn's Journal...

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Goblyn's Journal...  (Read 362693 times)

goblyn

• C'est ne pas une goblyn
Goblyn's Journal...
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »

Oh I just thought I'd join the fun here...can't guarantee I'll stick with updates, but right now I'm feeling pretty pleased to be on the boards (everyone has made me feel so welcome!).

So I made one of those ticker thingys, and was SHOCKED to see how far down the little ticker had gone already!  I'm tracing my weight from January 5th, which is when I first weighed myself in 2009.  I didn't start SLD until February, but lost a few lbs from working out in January (around 5).  But I'm still very pleased with the results thus far. 

Just so you know, my goal weight on the ticker is my own personal goal weight, 200 lbs.  I know this is still high (especially in regards to my BMI, which is such a flawed way of looking at weight, I'm a barrel chested guy with a tad bit of muscle under this flab, if I lose as much weight as the BMI calculator wants me to, I'd look skeletal and unhealthy.  I think at my height (5' 10") 200 lbs is a reasonable weight, if my body decides to lose more on SLD, then so be it, but I'm not aiming for perfection, just being AVERAGE for once would be soooo incredible.

So...I'm not sure how to start all this, but in the grand tradition of my posts (i.e., overly long), I'll tell you about myself:

My real name is Matt, I'm 29, I live in CT.  I'm gay, but I have two kids from a poorly thought out marriage.  My boyfriend is one of those horrible guys who can lose weight just cutting out soda.  I work at the University of Connecticut, but doing nothing exciting (I do collections work).

I've been overweight my ENTIRE life (well since I was 8 and broke my leg and started putting on the lbs since I couldn't play for almost 4 months, it was a bad break), my family is all overweight (except my kids, luckily, hopefully my ex and I can do our best to teach them healthy habits). 

I'm hoping that by keeping this journal, I'll be able to at least record my milestones (I doubt I'll post every time I drop an ounce), my setbacks, and all the other important stuff, and by doing so, can continue to show myself that things are working!

Like for example, last week I was very frustrated that my boyfriend was losing weight while continuing to eat unhealthy, while I had one of those temporary weight gain moments that are so annoying.  But this week so far I've dropped 2 more lbs, and feel like everything is working totally well.  In fact I put on a shirt this morning that has been tight on me, and it fits perfectly.  I cannot wait until I have to start buying new clothing!!!!!

Anyways, feel free to comment, ask me whatever, and I'll be happy to reply!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:10:15 AM by goblyn »

karky

• Life is Good!
Re: Goblyn's Journal...The Real Lost Horizon?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:30:47 AM »

don't go by the BMI or your weight, but by how your clothes fit and how you feel.
I think it is not wise to get hung up on the scale and numbers,
feeling good is WAY more important.  8)

Patience, patience I say  :lol:  :lol:
I say it a lot.
It's my Zen.
 8)  :lol:  :lol:

Glad to have you in our little club.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Clarinette

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »

Goblyn,
Nice to have you with us. We will read you and will follow your experiences with SLD. Enjoy! :)

Heidi 555

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »

Goblyn, glad that you started your own page.  I know you've talked about how ELOO made you sick, but I was wondering if you tried taking it in very tiny doses?  I wonder if very tiny amounts of things that repulse us give good AS.  This worked for me at first with nose clipped cooked carrots, but after awhile I got use to them. 

Wishing you many more lost pounds!
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

goblyn

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »

How very small?  This could definately be something to experiment with.  If small amounts of ELOO gave me the enough AS to get through the day, it would be great as you wouldn't have to worry about taking in extra calories per day...hmmm....

No I never tried it.  Truthfully, on days when my AS is not good I consider reaching for the ELOO bottle, and then I think...nah...and have good AS for at least a little while lol!  In fact, I refuse to even cook with it.

And to add to that, on Valentine's day I made cupcakes with my daughter, and we made homemade buttercream frosting, but the idea of the frosting was too similar to me to eating solid CO, and the thought made me totally uninterested in the cupcakes, even now thinking about frosting, it disgusts me thouroughly and if nothing else, makes me not want to eat anything frosted with buttercreme for a while...

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:44 PM »

if you take multilple small doses of eloo during the day, the flavorfree window becomes problematic.
which is why I take my eloo in one dose.
I am too lazy to have to plan more than 1 flavorfree window a day.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

goblyn

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:28:36 AM »

Well, last night I had an SLD culinary adventure and I had both a good result and a bad one.

I had taken out ground turkey for supper, and bf said he wanted shepherd's pie (because, apparently, he thinks I run a restaurant), but since I got home and found I felt like being creative, I made a shepherd's pie.  I tried a different recipe than what I usually do, and though it turned out freaking delicious, I think it ended up being far too savory.  I have been eating rather small (for me) suppers and last night I had a typically smaller portion of the shepherd's pie...and it was so damn good I wanted another piece!  So I allowed myself a second, much smaller piece....

And then it was like my AS was totally gone!  I was so hungry, but I kept telling myself that I had had enough to eat, which didn't work at all.  So I rooted around for something to eat, and noticed a bar of unsweetened baking chocolate and thought, hmm...I know its not going to taste all that well, but...I'll give it a shot. 

And a few nibbles later (I ended up eating maybe 1/8 of a square) I totally had no more interest in food!  At least for around an hour, when I got up to do dishes and put away the leftovers, and I ended up picking at the pie and ate a few more bites.  Nothing too major, but definately above and beyond what I should have eaten.

So here are the lessons I have learned:

1.  I am an incredibly awesome cook lol!
2.  When I make food and it comes out tasting "too" good, I need to break out the hot sauce, noseclips, crazy spices, or just not eat very much of it and then follow up with something else that will fill me up.
3.  Incredibly bitter baking chocolate seems to trigger my AS at least temporarily.  I don't know if this will last very long, as despite the fact that its bitter, I do love the taste of chocolate and love even the darkest chocolate (even the ones that have only trace amounts of sugar in them, just a little sugar turns bitter chocolate into a dessert for me), so I wonder how long the bitterness will be the predominant flavor in the chocolate and it actually contributes to AS. 

Well, the true test will be tonight, as I have enough leftover that I'll be having the shepherd's pie again for supper.  Tonight I am planning on either dousing it with Sriracha or eating it with noseclips, but we'll see how it goes.

I have been noticing as well that while doing SLD my body is EXTREMELY sensitive to bloating due to too much sodium, exercise, and not drinking enough water.  I have never noticed this problem with any other diet, and maybe its just because I have been obsessively weighing myself (I NEED TO STOP THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), but I notice that if I have a day where I don't drink enough, get alot of exercise, or have had high sodium food, I will retain water like crazy and the scale will show that I've gained around 2-3 lbs.  Yesterday I was down to 269 and this morning I weighed myself and I was up to 272 again!  I'm really annoyed, but I know the reason why is because my recipe for shepherd's pie included canned soup, as well as having some additional salt in the potato part.  I'm going to have to make a concious effort to really cut down on my salt intake, especially around weigh in times.  I am currently trying to drink plenty of water (not too much though) to flush the sodium out and hopefully lose the water weight by tonight.

I have my Wii Fit goal day today (if you're not familiar with Wii Fit, it asks you for fitness goals, I've been putting a goal of 2 lbs every two weeks, and have thus far made my goal every time) and if I don't get back down to 271 at least, I won't have made my goal. 

We'll see!

VeganKitten

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:50 AM »

When I need chocolate (and it is a need  :lol: ) ... I like to nibble a small square of 100% cacao baking chocolate, plus handful of raisins for sweetness, plus some raw cacao nibs. Very healthy but totally satisfying!!

calories from the raisins do add up, but at least I'm getting some fiber and vitamins and minerals.

goblyn

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »

Woohooooooooooooooo

Milestone moment! 

According to my Wii Fit, I am officially at 269, a weight I haven't seen in over a year!  YAY! 

Now I just have to work on getting past 265 (265 is one of my "plateaus" where I can comfortably stay at for several months), and I will really be excited!

Anywho, my experiment last night eating the shepherd's pie with hot sauce didn't work as well as I hoped, it definately helped kill the overly savory flavor that made me want to eat the whole thing the night before, but it still tasted too good!  But since the BF helped himself first (plus brought some more for lunch yesterday) there was only one serving of it left when I ate anyways.  So I couldn't go overboard with it.  After eating I had more baking chocolate.  Later on in the evening I really wanted something spicy, so I defrosted a few shrimp, and had them with my hot sauce as an evening snack.  Not too terrible, and that immediately killed any craving for any more food, so that was good.

All in all I have definately been eating less though, so in the grand scheme of things, I'm doing better!

shovelqueen

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »

A few shrimp sounds like an awesome snack - low cal, high protein, spicy, satisfying! :D

"Strength, balance, joy!"

rockysoundtrack

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 11:24:09 AM »

I think you and I are very similar physically. I, too, don't think I would want to be under 200 lbs. due to a stockier build, and I'm only 5'8" (and a quarter!). Started SLD around the same time and shooting for 2 lbs. a week also.

What's is your current SLD strategy that you've found the most successful? As in amount of ELOO/SW, number of dosages, and timing? I'm actually mostly interested in your timing of dosage. Some days I have great AS and other days not so much. I'm thinking the timing might be the variable that's causing the variation. As variables are supposed to do.  :P

Also, are you shooting for a specific number of food calories per day?

goblyn

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »

I think you and I are very similar physically. I, too, don't think I would want to be under 200 lbs. due to a stockier build, and I'm only 5'8" (and a quarter!). Started SLD around the same time and shooting for 2 lbs. a week also.

What's is your current SLD strategy that you've found the most successful? As in amount of ELOO/SW, number of dosages, and timing? I'm actually mostly interested in your timing of dosage. Some days I have great AS and other days not so much. I'm thinking the timing might be the variable that's causing the variation. As variables are supposed to do. :P

Also, are you shooting for a specific number of food calories per day?

I'm so happy to hear that someone else doesn't buy into the "recommended" weight range.  I know guys that at 200 lbs can look terribly obese, and then I know guys who are 220 and don't look very overweight at all.

I'm going to talk about my SLD plans (because I have decided I need to change it up) later on in this post, so I'll get to that.

I have been trying to eat healthy, but I do not go out of my way to fall into a specific calorie range, because I find that when I do, I tend to spend far too much time either feeling guilty about eating too much, or pissed off that I can't have something that I want.  I tend to be pretty neurotic when it comes to things like that so I find that I can't do too much or it will be counter productive.

So anyways, update time:

My weight has, yet again, gone up.  I am not updating my ticker, because I think its a temporary snafu, and will probably be back to 269 in a few days (if not sooner).  I find that on the weekends I am having a harder time controlling everything, and I think I know why:

I'm spending too much time with my boyfriend!  Okay, that's a joke, I mean, yeah, I ended up eating out twice this weekend (though I managed, both times to eat very little of my meal, but still, both times I had that SLD AS effect of nothing sounding good, and ended up just ordering things I had gotten before and enjoyed, in one case it was fried calamari, and in another case, it was a burger, both very bad choices health wise), and he does like to snack at night (though his snacks are different than mine, he's addicted to the target brand of goldfish crackers, chickadees, which, as we all know are just empty carbs, I on the other hand want to eat things like shrimp and cheese, which at least have protein), but all in all, I know I could definately just say no, or make healthy choices.  I think the real reason is because when I eat, my set point goes up, and, sadly, I haven't quite figured out a good way of making it go back down, except ignoring it (easy to do at work, since I have other things to distract me, not as easy to do at home when I could just as easily go into the kitchen and open the fridge).

I mean, obviously, I cannot just stop eating altogether (except for my SLD dose), I know this would definately be unhealthy.  Though I wonder what would happen if I tried to only eat when I honestly was hungry.  On Saturday I had terrific AS (I'll explain why in a moment) and didn't eat lunch until 2:30, when I had some pasta to settle my stomach.  I wasn't hungry again until 7 or 8 and that's when we went out to eat (and then everything went downhill from there).  But I think definately having waited until I was legitimately hungry did help, but the practicality of that isn't that great.  I have kids on the weekends, and my boyfriend who all want to eat at specific times, and while I could wait and eat when I'm actually hungry, I just don't really have the time or patience to dirty more dishes later on.  Plus what would I then do when I do go out to eat, or are visiting relatives?  I can't exactly expect everyone to wait to eat when I'm hungry.

But I'm definately going to consider exercising more control over this eating thing, and trying to listen to my body more (that's my March resolution lol).

Additionally, I think that the heavy cream isn't working out as well as I would have liked.  Currently my SLD dose is as follows:

Approximately one cup of skim milk
One scoop of Slim fast powder
1/3 cup of heavy cream

Shaken together and noseclipped down instead of breakfast (I then brush my teeth while still noseclipped).  This gives me awesome AS until lunch time, and then sometimes carries on into supper time, but I find that more often than not the AS is very faltering in the afternoon, and by supper time, most nights, I'm pretty hungry again.  I also take about 12 flax seed oil capsules in the afternoon, but this hasn't yet proved to supply any extra AS one way or another.

So this weekend I tried something else.  I have been considering the last time I did SLD (in Dec 08) and thinking about my AS (which was incredibly strong and awesome).  At that point I was drinking ELOO in water.  I had to stop because I would constantly burp up the ELOO (which, to me, tastes like plastic and chemicals, definately not pleasant) to the point where I would get extremely nauseus.  Then, when I started SLD again, I was trying CO mixed with cream.  Again, awesome AS, and no burping issues, but I find its far too much work to heat up the CO so it melts (in my house its solid @ room temperature, and I think it probably will be solid even in the summer as I have air conditioning), and I really don't like the way it resolidifies into tiny little granules when I mixed it with the cream, so I just upped the amount of the cream, added in the slim fast calories and went with it.

I think the oil really has some property that something like cream just doesn't, for me at least.  Maybe its because, after years of dieting, I don't use very much oil in cooking and try to stay away from fried food as much as possible so maybe my body just doesn't think of oil as being a food product, and digests it differently or something (whereas I've always loved and eaten as much dairy as I could, from cheese, to yogurt, milk, creme brulee...).

So on Saturday morning, I decided to see how replacing 2 tablespoons of my cream with 1 tablespoon of ELOO would go mixed with my slimfast.  I had visions of having the ELOO almost immediately separate out, and finding it horrifyingly disgusting (I cannot get myself over that oily texture gross out problem).  To my suprise, I couldn't even detect anything different (granted I was noseclipped, and I tend to drink my drink down quickly, so I can brush my teeth and take off the clip) other than an extemely slight bit of oily residue on my lips afterwards, but nothing to freak out about.  The AS kicked in almost immediately, literally within the hour after drinking it, I began to feel so full I couldn't even think about food.  Now keep in mind the calorie content and fat content is still almost identical.  However, concurrently with the AS, I also got the ELOO burps.  Unfortunately I was out running errands for most of the morning and my only way of combating the burping was to drink water, and it didn't work.  When I finally got home I ate some pasta and sauce in the hopes of erradicating the ELOO burps, and though it settled my stomach (which by that point was getting ready to revlot against the flavor of the burps), I still ended up burping ELOO for another few hours.

I decided not to do the ELOO again (and in fact, threw out my bottle of ELOO so I wouldn't have to look at it anymore, which was hard for me as it was still half full and I hate wasting anything).

On Sunday I took my good old familiar SLD dose, and really noticed the difference.  I ended up being hungry for, and eating lunch, around 11:30, which, on average, is an hour earlier than usual for me!  So I decided that the next day I would use Canola oil, which I thought I had in my cupboard (little did I know that it was actually vegetable blend oil, which, while I'm sure isn't that terrible for you, kinda scares me). 

On Sunday I had bought myself some whey protein powder, as I have been wanting to get more protein in my diet (the slim fast powder only has 10 grams/scoop, and my lean cuisines aren't the protein sources they could be).  So yesterday (I was home due to the storm that we got), I decided to use the protein powder in place of the slim fast powder.  What a mistake!  I have forgotten how...odd whey protein tastes (when I was a vegetarian, I would sometimes suppliment my diet with a protein drink), and even noseclipped I could tell there was a much more sour taste than I was used to and actually had a hard time getting the whole thing down. 

So today I tried half a scoop of slim fast and half a scoop of protein powder.  Still not as easy to take as just slim fast, but definately alot easier than yesterday.  The AS is about the same as if I had just used my old standby drink.  I have yet to buy canola oil (again, due to the storm yesterday) but since I need milk anyways, I'm going to the store tonight on the way home, and will pick some up then.

Yikes, this is a huge post.  Anyways, I know that Canola oil has a stigma of unhealthiness about it, but I have been under the impression that canola oil, which is jut rapeseed oil (correct?), is just as "healhty" as any of the other seed/nut based oils like olive oil.  If someone wants to advise me on that, please do so, because I'd hate to be drinking something that will turn out, in the long run, to do more harm than good (but then again, its not like heavy cream has EVER been accused of being healthy).

I'll let you know how the oil goes tomorrow.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »

I wonder if there is something in the slim fast that doesn't agree with your system.

I got some whey protein powder last year, and whenever I drank it, I gained.
even if my calorie count was the same as without it.  :?

goblyn

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »

That's a good thought karky!  I'm going to give it a week on the canola oil addition to my drink, if I don't notice any difference, I may switch myself back to regular oil + cream dose (using canola instead of co) and see how that goes.

I hope that's not the case though, because I really enjoy being able to do my breakfast and sld in one swoop (if I just take oil in the morning, I'm still going to eat something else for breakfast after the ff window, as I know I will do badly if I don't have any nutritional intake in the morning (at least slim fast and milk is sorta healthy).

shovelqueen

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »

Goblyn, I take canola oil.  I took it for the first 2 months when I started, then switched to ELOO as it was much lighter feeling, but I was taking it straight in a shot, so the mouthfeel mattered.  In the last 5 weeks, I went back to canola, and it was an inspired move.  My AS is much better on canola, and now that I mix it with whipping cream, the texture is not a problem. 

I buy organic, but refined canola, just in a grocery store.  I worry about GMO foods, so the organic designation precludes any genetic manipulation. 

Good luck with your experiments!

"Strength, balance, joy!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 82   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18