sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The best thing that has happened is that I no longer get SO hungry that I feel like I am starving and have to eat a cheeseburger right away or suffer a horrible death. Tha's what being hungry has felt like for the last three years. Now when I get hungry it feels a lot more normal and it never involves McDonalds. -- peazazz

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thyroid malfunction and weight gain  (Read 12922 times)

jj

Thyroid malfunction and weight gain
« on: January 09, 2009, 06:16:48 pm »

I have started Shangri-la diet in summer of 2007.
Initially, I have lost about 6lb( 113lb to 107lb between June 2007 and August 2007), then I hit a plateau and subsequently gained back what a lost and even more( up to 115lb). In May 2008 I discovered that I had hypothyroidism. I started taking Synthroid .88 mg and felt worse than ever before. In June I switched to Armour Thyroid. I started at 60mg then I  went up to 90mg. Later I added Iodoral and stopped Shangri-La diet. Right now my weight is around 109lb. I must admit that I eat much more than a year ago. I believe that a lot of weight problems are a direct result of hypothyroidism. I noticed looking back that very often I would gain weight when I had no appetite and ate very little and then I would lose weight when my appetite returned. If you check your temperature every day in the morning and it is consistently low (under 97 F) you probably have malfunctioning thyroid which makes it impossible to lose weight.

m.c.

• Pluckychickenheart
Re: Thyroid malfunction and weight gain
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:41:42 am »

Interesting. I'm grabbing my thermomater. :?
Have arrived at the new Normal.

vrimj

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:11:31 am »

My body temp runs about  97 during the day and can be as low as 96.5 in the mornings, but my thyroid levels are normal.  Just a body quirk for me and one that was REALLY annoying during childhood where the school nurse would not send me home because I was not running a "fever".   My blood pressure also runs low and several of my family members have the same quirk.   But I suspect it would be different if it was a drop rather then a life long quirk.

Maychi

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:54:15 am »

My body temp runs about  97 during the day and can be as low as 96.5 in the mornings, but my thyroid levels are normal.  Just a body quirk for me and one that was REALLY annoying during childhood where the school nurse would not send me home because I was not running a "fever".   My blood pressure also runs low and several of my family members have the same quirk.   But I suspect it would be different if it was a drop rather then a life long quirk.

Perhaps not such an unusual quirk. My husband and daughter have very low temperature, too, to the point of it being considered unhealthy, the same with blood pressure. They're both very thin and healthy. But as you say, this is probably an indication of a thyroid problem only when there is a sudden drop in morning temperature rather than a lifelong "affliction".

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:34:55 am »

keep in mind too, that "normal" for everyone else might not be normal for you.
Even if your thyroid tests in the general "normal" range, maybe your metabolism requires more, so it would actually be low for you.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Polaroid Doll

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:45:36 pm »

That's very odd...my typical temperature is on the low side as well; so much so, that at visits to the doctor, the nurse will often look at the number and put the thermometer back in my mouth, assuming the reading to be incorrect... My father also has this same experience.  :shock:

However, my thyroid levels have tested quite normal. Apparently, there's quite a variation in body temperature, and it causes me to wonder how many people actually have the 'average' temp (and how large is the stardard deviation...).

anacara

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:45:15 pm »

A low body temperature can indicate an under functioning thyroid even if conventional tests appear normal.
http://www.wilsonsthyroidsyndrome.com/

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 01:18:44 am »

Hi Anacara!............................ :D
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

vixterc

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 01:31:22 pm »

I also have an underactive thyroid and have a love/hate relationship with food. I can lose my appetite a lot then force myself to eat.  I find that I too lose weight when I eat more food.  I am hoping that following the SLD will change how I feel about food, improve my appetite (I know this goes against what it is supposed to do) and therefore help me to lose weight!  I will do a follow up post here in about a months time to detail how a month following SLD principles can effect the weight of someone with an underactive thyroid.

Bwahahaha

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 01:56:08 am »

My apologies for the thread necromancy. I felt that this is an important topic.

Thyroid problems have been associated with a huge variety of health problems including weight gain. Google "Broda Barnes" and "Diana Schwarzbein". Barnes was a doctor who felt that low body temp meant a slow metabolism and an under-functioning thyroid, and found that almost all health issues disappeared once the body temperature was back to normal. Barnes prescribed thyroid medication. Matt Stone is a health blogger who has a lot to say on this subject, as well. He tends to view low metabolism as a symptom of the body going into "starvation mode" and thinks that (following Schwartzbein) eating more whole food is the solution.
Shangri-La Diet?! I thought it was the SANGRIA diet! Now I'm fat and drunk!

babyhopes

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:33:30 am »

I recently read that you can self test your need for iodine by buying some liquid iodine and rubbing on some skin like your thigh or a similar area and if it disappears or is absorbed in less than 4 hours than you need more and this is often a sign of a slower thyroid- here is the link

http://altmedangel.com/iodine.htm

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »

I recently read that you can self test your need for iodine by buying some liquid iodine and rubbing on some skin like your thigh or a similar area and if it disappears or is absorbed in less than 4 hours than you need more and this is often a sign of a slower thyroid

My grandmother always said that too.
However, too much iodine is as bad as not enough.

http://www.thyroid.org/patients/patient_brochures/iodine_deficiency.html

babyhopes

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 03:06:02 am »

Karky, I am starting to feel like you are here to keep me grounded from all my lofty ideas to fix my health and weight issues- thanks a million for always keeping me on track to look at what i do in the most balanced way :)

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16:43 pm »

I always have to keep myself from going overboard too.
 :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18