sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Today i did not feel hungry at all. It was 2pm when I realized that I had not eaten anything all day. But I did not feel hungry. I knew I had to eat though, so I went to the vending machine and got a small packet of cheese-its. I couldnt even finish it...--babyphat

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too much omega-3?  (Read 6783 times)

vimota

Too much omega-3?
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:30:54 pm »

Hi,

I just started SLD and I was doing some research on omega-3, because I take 2 tbsp. of flaxseed oil per day, and I found out that only 3 grams of omega-3 is recommended per day:"people who eat more than three grams of omega-3 fatty acids per day (equivalent to 3 servings of fish per day) may be at an increased risk for hemorrhagic stroke, a potentially fatal condition in which an artery in the brain leaks or ruptures. "http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm.

My dosage of 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil gets me about 250 calories, but about 12g of omega 3! (and about 3.5g of omega 6)

I haven't seen any alerts about this anywhere! Anyone have any recommendations??

bekel

• Global Moderator
  • I <3 omega-3s
Re: Too much omega-3?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:02:14 pm »

I noticed that when I was using cod liver oil with my ELOO I bruised quite easily. I didn't have that problem with flaxseed. That being said, I only took 1 T flax or cod liver and 1 T ELOO. Went back to only ELOO because I had better AS. I'd hate to see how I bruised if I had taken 2 T!

I would just use the flaxseed oil as a supplement because of blood-thinning properties, and eat as Mediterranian as you could. Balancing Omega 3 and 6 seems to be a good thing as well. OR use a proportional mix of flax and ELOO so you have 3 gr a day but not put yourself at risk.

Hi,

I just started SLD and I was doing some research on omega-3, because I take 2 tbsp. of flaxseed oil per day, and I found out that only 3 grams of omega-3 is recommended per day:"people who eat more than three grams of omega-3 fatty acids per day (equivalent to 3 servings of fish per day) may be at an increased risk for hemorrhagic stroke, a potentially fatal condition in which an artery in the brain leaks or ruptures. "http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm.

My dosage of 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil gets me about 250 calories, but about 12g of omega 3! (and about 3.5g of omega 6)

I haven't seen any alerts about this anywhere! Anyone have any recommendations??

Proud member of Lab Rats United, noseclipped unit: Tested on since May 18, 2006.

Kirk

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:55:46 pm »

shovelqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:04:41 am »

You might want to take a look at http://nutrition-info-411.evelyntribole.com/2008/08/30/which-omega3-fats-and-how-much.aspx

Exxcellent reference, and from a Registered Dietitian, too!

"Strength, balance, joy!"

Mart

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 04:10:38 pm »

I noticed that when I was using cod liver oil with my ELOO I bruised quite easily. I didn't have that problem with flaxseed. That being said, I only took 1 T flax or cod liver and 1 T ELOO. Went back to only ELOO because I had better AS. I'd hate to see how I bruised if I had taken 2 T!

I would just use the flaxseed oil as a supplement because of blood-thinning properties, and eat as Mediterranian as you could. Balancing Omega 3 and 6 seems to be a good thing as well. OR use a proportional mix of flax and ELOO so you have 3 gr a day but not put yourself at risk.

Hi,

multitasker

• Pharmacy Pacific
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 11:19:08 am »

You might want to take a look at http://nutrition-info-411.evelyntribole.com/2008/08/30/which-omega3-fats-and-how-much.aspx

Thank you for the reference Kirk! It gives a more detailed information about the possible results of too much omega 3 intake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18