Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Downsizing

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing  (Read 23414 times)

Ivy

Downsizing
« on: November 18, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »

I started Shangri La on 10/23. It'll be four weeks this Thursday. Here are a few things I haven't done in the past month:

• eaten fast food
  • eaten candy
  • eaten so much of anything that I regretted it, felt guilty, or felt like barfing
  • drank regular soda (once or twice a week I have one without HFCS, in as many different flavors as I can find)
  • had daily caffeine (maybe 2-3 of my soda choices all month have had caffeine)
  • slept fewer than 7 hours in a night, with one exception when I had a project due the following day
  • eaten fewer than 6 vegetable servings in a day (and not because I'm forcing them down, I'm actually craving them, and little else)

And it has required next to no effort, no willpower, and no deprivation. I can hardly believe it.

So far, I'm down ten pounds from a top weight of 244. (I had lost twenty earlier this year on Weight Watchers which felt like pushing a boulder uphill, then lost my momentum and gained back ten, so this puts me back at twenty down all told.) I can scarcely bring myself to hope after so long, though; I have been overweight since grade school and obese since college. I'm 32 now, and had nearly resigned myself to a fate of either being heavy or having to go under the knife. I heard about Shangri La through another forum I frequent, and decided it was just crazy enough to qualify for my last try before giving up and getting a Lap Band or something. But after a month, I am starting to think this might actually be it for me.

If this keeps working, I will probably keep my fingers crossed for the rest of my life.

Heidi 555

Re: Downsizing
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:31 AM »

Great post.  Thanks for joining us Ivy.  So happy to hear of your initial success!
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »

Downsizing is GREAT!
I like it a lot!  :lol:
Congratulations on your awesome beginning!
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »

well done Ivy!!!

Ivy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:17:36 PM »

Thank you all so much! I'm so excited to be here and to be succeeding with this. I don't know if my first post fully conveyed how monumental all this is for me. To not eat fast food for an entire month... it was practically a daily thing for me before. I'm sure I was addicted to it, along with candy and sweets (HAD to have something sweet each day, and usually more than once). On Weight Watchers all I could manage was to ration it out and sublimate with energy bars that were lower points than a straight-up candy bar, but I was still jonesing nearly all the time. And now, I recognize that that jones was a vicious circle of my body driving up my set point in response to my food choices, making me want to keep making those choices. Why do we as a culture not wonder why overweight people have the drives they do? We punish and shame, instead of trying to understand the physiological underpinnings. I always suspected there had to be SOME reason why my thin cousin actually felt full after a small amount of food, when I could finish it all and still feel hungry. I have never been able to accept that the answer is that I just have so little self-control, and to be a normal size I would have to be uncomfortable and desperate and push that boulder uphill for the rest of my life.

I gulp every time I think or say this because it's just so much to think about, but I want to lose one hundred pounds. Losing 100 lbs would put me at about 145, still slightly on the heavy side for my height of 5'5. But I am, as Cartman on South Park says, big boned. And I really am, my frame is not at all delicate, which is fine with me-- I just want to be normal! And I'm having a party when I get it under 200! :) :) :) :) :)

nougat

• Malta EU
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:36:14 PM »

you are right ivy... there are all kinds of complicated reasons why some people pile on the pounds and others don't - even when eating the same food.

may i suggest you make yourself a weightloss ticker??  :)  as you can see from mine i need to lose about 60lbs and i'm shorter than you - but i do have a big frame.  i don't mind that i won't be skinny -i  just want to be normal.....

its great that sld is working so well for you.  best of luck!!

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »

I am going to have to ante up my 2˘ and say: my twin brother and I ate the same foods, if anything he ate more than me, and we did the same stuff, and he was thin and I was not.
But on the other hand, it IS possible to lose 100lbs on SLD.
 8)
You just have to be patient.
Too many times I have seen people lose patience and disappear, while I stuck it out.  And here I am, on the brink of -100lbs in less than 2 yrs.

Ivy

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 03:46:23 PM »

I am going to have to ante up my 2˘ and say: my twin brother and I ate the same foods, if anything he ate more than me, and we did the same stuff, and he was thin and I was not.
But on the other hand, it IS possible to lose 100lbs on SLD.
 8)
You just have to be patient.
Too many times I have seen people lose patience and disappear, while I stuck it out.  And here I am, on the brink of -100lbs in less than 2 yrs.

WOW. That gives me such hope, karky. I hope I have your patience. At this moment I really feel like, if nothing else, I am eating so much more healthily and I feel SO much better (even just from having a little control over what I'm eating), so even if it goes slow I would keep doing this. I need to just toss out my scales, or keep them at my mom's house, or something. I don't need to be weighing in every day, but it's so tempting to see what the numbers say. Problem is, I fluctuate so much even from morning to evening and throughout my cycle, it's not helpful to keep that close an eye on the numbers. No doubt they need to go down, but it's a big-picture thing.

But I also realize I have a tendency to be really enthusiastic about a diet for the first few weeks or months, and then lose my momentum. SLD feels different, though, in that I don't feel like I am having to keep up a momentum. I'm just eating what I feel like eating, when I feel like eating it, and stopping when I feel full. I even had pound cake at a family gathering, and I have the occasional soda--the difference being that I had one small slice of pound cake, and the occasional soda, not the daily soda. I guess the time may come that I need to cut those things out, though.

Ivy

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 03:59:23 PM »

I believe Ethesis recommends joining OA, and I think I will do that this week. I know that I have a food addiction problem, and while SLD limits how much I can eat, I worry that when the honeymoon is over I'll start choosing junk over good food again. Until SLD, I would make a pledge to myself in the morning not to stop for fast food or gas station pick-me-up, only to break the pledge by noon.

However, I also think a big part of my addiction is insomnia. I kept a diary once to see if I could link any factors to times when I was able or not able to resist junk food, and I found that I was often using it to shore myself up after pulling all-nighters for work. When my energy flagged I would distract myself with something delicious. I feel certain it was stroking some kind of pleasure center in my brain, and now that I've read SLD I imagine it was probably that those foods had high flavor/calorie associations and were "ditto" foods, so my body craved them to keep itself going on too little sleep. Since SLD seems to be helping me sleep better as well as eat better, I have some reason to believe it can be different this time.

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 04:02:48 PM »

as time goes on, the signals are harder to hear, but as long as you try to stop eating when you aren't hungry anymore, not when you are full/overfull you'll be OK

I weigh every day when I first wake up.  I also track it every day on fitday.com (free) some use hacker's graphs. (I don't remember the name of the site)
I weigh until I get 2 in a row the same, I have had a 5 lb weight flucuation just by stepping on and off the scale  :shock:
I remember that food and drink not only have calories (not as important) They actually have weight (Important)If you drink a 16 oz glass of water, you can't get on the scale and not expect to see a 16 oz gain, if you haven't used the bathroom.  Same with everything else that passes our lips.

Also, it is persistence that pays off, you just have to keep doing SLD, no matter what happens, no matter if you have company, no matter if you don't feel like it, no matter what.  Skipping a day now and then isn't what I mean either, it's Oh I am just too busy this week, or Oh I don't think it's working so why bother today anyway, or Oh, I have company, and it's too hard to find privacy to take my dose, so I think I'll skip it that does people in.
Remember not to beat yourself up for lapses in eating.  This is not like other plans where one mistake and it's all over.  This is a life plan, and life happens occasionally on a life plan.  8)

SLD also helps me sleep way better than before.

This is the nicest, most supportive forum on the internet.  You came to the right place.

Ivy

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 05:12:48 PM »

Which signals get harder to hear over time, karky? the appetite supression? If so, how do you deal with that? Noseclipping, et. al.?

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »

AS is still there, I don't get hungry at all like I used to, but as time passes, I find it easier to eat past fullness, or ignore AS than it was when I first started.
I think I have just gotten used to the feeling of AS.

I have this bad analogy I like to spout:  8)
Say you have a smell in the house(good or bad, doesn't matter), at first it smells really strong, but after a while you can only smell it if you think about the smell.  It kind of fades into the background.  The smell is still there, your nose just isn't as sensitve to it as it was when you first walked in and the smell hit you upside the head.  :lol:

I tried noseclipping, but couldn't get past having to chew with my mouth open so I could breathe. Heidi swears by it though. 

So I just keep on doing my oil dose, no matter what, and try not to eat stuff just because it tastes good.  I am stubborn as all get out and I have my eye on the prize, which helps.

I also belong to the Clean-Your-Plate Club, and small plates work well for getting around that issue. 
My eyes are always bigger than my stomach, and I usually have to clean my plate, so salad plates make sure less fits on the plate.

Ivy

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:07:20 PM »

:lol: I know all about the Clean Plate Club and Eyes-Bigger-Than-Stomach Syndrome. I'm DEFINITELY a finisher, and I always get more than I need. I suspect it has something to do with growing up in a family with four siblings, wherein a sleeve of Oreos could disappear in seconds flat. So you need to grab the largest possible number of cookies, just in case you want that many, because if you get too few and try to go back for more, they won't be there. If you don't end up wanting that many cookies, you eat them anyway since you worked so hard to get them.

That's a good idea about the small plate. It reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. How do you guys handle well-meaning relatives who want to stuff you full of food they made for you? I've been thinking about Thanksgiving. There is no possible way I could fit a plate of Thanksgiving dinner in my belly these days, but if I get a small plate I'll have a bunch of relatives in my face asking "don't you want more X?" I can tell the social issues surrounding food are going to be harder to shake than the actual appetite and cravings have been. It wasn't entirely physiology that got me to this point, so I'll have to pay some attention to the habits and customs that I'll need to tweak to get on the right track.

Ivy

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 06:55:22 AM »

:shock:

Today for "breakfast" I craved (and I mean CRAVED- I thought about it the whole time I was driving my kids to school) low-sodium vegetable juice mixed with an Indian spice mix my sister brought back for me when she visited her in-laws. I've been craving the vegetable juice since week 2 or so, but this latest bottle hasn't tasted right. It's the same brand and everything but maybe SLD is making me grow fatigued of familiar flavors fairly quickly? I can't really figure out an evolutionary reason why it would do that. But I have also noticed that I am way more adventurous at the grocery store than I usually am. It almost seems like, since I'm no longer that attached to what I eat, why not try some new stuff?

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 07:24:41 AM »

I find that I am more willing to try weird stuff I wouldn't have looked at twice before.  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18